1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New purchase suggestions needed

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Munch58, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Munch58

Munch58 Guest

Hey all and Binkie7.

Pardon my frustration please. I have recently built myself a new system in a black case and need to replace my beige NEC 3550A. I have tried to research this and have found that most threads go something like this...

My Benq [insert whatever Benq model # here] stomps a mudhole in whatever brand is mentioned next...Look here's the mouthwatering, jawdropping scans to prove it. While this is great for them, it's fairly useless for anyone that can't purchase a model that was discontinued years ago.

There in lies the frustration. It seems that no model does all or anything as well as they may have in the past. I see people vouch heavily for LiteOn, Pioneer or LG, but the reviews don't seem to bear out what the users are saying. I realize that reviews are usually slanted too, however...

So in closing...is it possible for me to find a relatively good quality drive that possesses good burn abilities that won't take a dump in 2 months, that will yield some type of playable disc that can be read in other machines besides itself? I use Verbatim brand only and ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 to burn with. Any/all help will greatly appreciated. Even Benq snobs can check in ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hey Munch58
    Well I'm a LiteOn fan and have been for a few years now. I have 3.
    One is about 3 years old and is still going strong.
    The dvd's burned on them are played in many different players w/o a problem.
    I mainly use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim on them. But they pretty much burn anything I've thrown at them (well did have some problems w/ cmc & princo media:) )

The only model I won't suggest right now is the 20x - jury is still out on that one.

I also have a Pioneer that's over 2 years old and same thing - still does a good job.

I prefer the LiteOn because it can booktype right out the box and rips faster then my Pioneer though the newer Pioneers may be faster.

LiteOn's give good scan too - they're just pickier on the quality score w/ Nero. A 95 scan on a LiteOn can be equivalent to a 98 or 99 on a BenQ.

So I'll vouch for LiteOn - great burner imho.

3. Munch58

Munch58 Guest

Thanks Binkie7

Any LiteOn in particular? I don't know if I'd really use Lightscribe, and have noticed that the following drives are auto-notify at Newegg forever.

LiteOn SHW-160P6S-04
    SHW-160P6S-05
    SH-16A7S-06
    SH-16A7S-05
    SHM-165H6S OEM

Are the 18X burners worse qualitywise compared to the 16X's? I won't be burning over 8X on dvds more than likely. Should I bother waiting for one of the "out-of-stocks" to become available? And finally, does SATA have any real advantage over IDE?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  4. Munch58

Munch58 Guest

Just saw this in the other thread.... will give it a try. Seems that there's a new firmware dated 1/18/2007 too. Thanks Binkie7.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem Munch58

There's a few members here at least that have that 18x LiteOn and love it. So looks like quality wise is still the same. I just wouldn't burn at 18x - well I might test a few for the heck of it :)

My 2 newer ones are the SHW-160P6S & SHM-165P6SX (external). Both good too.

SATA can have faster access and transfer times than ide. You would just need a sata port on the motherboard and a sata cable.

I think you will good to go with the 18x.