1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new slim playstation2

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by tazster, Jan 5, 2005.

1. tazster

tazster Member

I recently bought a ps2 which is the slim model. just wondering how to tell what version it is. Also is there anything different about backing up process (being thst its stop load rather than the tray). which would be better swap magic or a mod chip. thanks in advance , tazster

2. bandit778

bandit778 Member

Well I don't have one of the slim PS2's but I do have the Flip-Top and Swap-Magic disk's for my PS2. The site I got mine from also have some sort of MOD for the small PS2's and It was cheap. Here is what the site says.......

If you have the new slim PStwo then you are at the right place! This is the BEST solution for playing imports and backups with the Swap Magic Discs on your PS2 Slim. The new Ghost Switch installs in under a minute. Only 4 easy steps to install!!

• Installs in under a minute
    • For SCPH-70000 PSTwo consoles
    • Completely stealth
    • Simply click the Ghost Clips into place and you are ready

This is the most powerful and easiest way to play backups on the PStwo. All you need is the Ghost Switch Set and the Swap Magic v3.3 discs. Once you put the switch in place, all you do is:

1) Insert the Swap Magic 3.3 disc
    2) Wait 10 seconds until the Swap Magic Loads
    3) Flip the top open and insert your game
    4) Close lid and press “x”

That's It!

You'd probably have around 30 bucks in moding it this was and wouldn't have to worry about any soldering.

If you need the link let me know. I didn't post it because I don't know if it would be allowed here.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. tazster

tazster Member

thanks for the quick response , in your reply for step 3 you said
    3) Flip the top open and insert your game
    my consoleslides open like a regular dvd drive 9 not a flip top). dont know if you are thinking of wrong model or just a typo thanks

4. tazster

tazster Member

think i found the site youe were talking about and yep word for word i ordered one and will hope for the best. thanks again

5. bandit778

bandit778 Member

Yeah I just copied and pasted what the site said. I thought all the Slim ones had a fliptop style set up without the sliding tray? Glad I could help. I had a problem with my Fliptop when I got it and couldn't figure it out until someone refered me to this forum and I found the answer to my problem just like that.

6. bandit778

bandit778 Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  7. bandit778

bandit778 Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  8. tazster

tazster Member

Cant figure out for the life of me what I was thinking. mine is definetly a flip top DOH!!!!!!

Well thanks for your help

9. tom21014

tom21014 Member

IF I USE A GHOST SWTCH, OR PLASTIC PARTS IN A VERSION 12 SLIM PS2 AND SWAP MAGIC DOES I NEED TO INSTALL A LASER FIX KIT TO KEEP IT FROM BURNING OUT?

10. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

im not sure what Laser Fix your talking about, update me with a link or somethin. Swap Magic shouldn't burn the lens out like solder mods do. you should clean your lens everday and such so it won't burn out as quick since lens can burn out no matter what.

Good Luck!
    Chris

11. bandit778

bandit778 Member

I've never heard of a Laser Fix. I just clean my lens whan I have problems and I'm good to go for awhile. best part about a fliptop is you don't have to take the PS2 totally apart. All you gotta do is open the lid and clean the lens.

12. tom21014

tom21014 Member

THIS IS THE E MAIL THEY SENT TO ME ANSWERING MY QUESTION.

It does not require it, however, personally I would rec. a laser fix on any v12 slim unit, as they are all very week, even if no other mods done, just to be safe
    Hi, the V12 Laser Fix is available here at: It is rec. for EVERY version 12 PS2 to get this unit installed.

See details PS2 V12 Laser Fix PCB For Slim Line Console!
    When you modify a slimline PS2 (v12) then you must add this small pcb which limits the current to the coils of the laser. It happens very often that the v12 Laser completely burns up after just one or two hours of gameplay. By adding this fix you can feel yoursef on the safe side after modding th...
    Please reply only to this ticket. Opening a new ticket will only delay the response time. Thanks.
    Support@modchipstore.com
    http://www.modchipstore.com/support

13. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

with that it says you have to open the ps2 and expose the motherboard and such.. which is scary cuz you can touch something and mess up the ps2.. and it says you have to solder 5 things.. which is crazy.. i wouldn't even try modding that slimline ps2.. but if you want to mod your slimline with that laser fix.. be my guest.i dont suggest it from what im reading.

Good Luck!
    Chris

14. ducatis

ducatis Guest

even if you havent done anything to your ps2, the power going to the slim ps2 laser is way to strong so eventually they burn out. the laser fix regulates the voltage so the laser doesnt burn out. IT WILL eventually burn out if you use the swap magic set. I would recomend a modchip anyway because they direct boot so you dont have to swap.

15. tom21014

tom21014 Member

thanks for all the help everybody. it just amazes me that sony has been making playstations for years and still can`t do it right. i might just get an x box then. i sure wont buy a ps 2 until they get their act together.

16. chrisosx

chrisosx Regular member

yea XboX is good because it has mostly the same games as PS2 but is much faster with more Frame Rates Per Second. But don't mod it unless you want to because i like my XboX the way it is. :-D