1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question New SSD and Clean Windows 10 Install question

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by g725s, Feb 18, 2019.

1. g725s

g725s Member

I have an older PC that originally I had Window 8 (I have Windows 8 install discs). But I took the free update to Windows 10.

I've been away from building computers and keeping up on all the latest stuff. But I know there must be a way I could install an SSD for the main OS drive and do a Clean install of Windows 10, even tough I don't have any install discs for Windows 10, nor do I know the Product Key.

What to do?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    repairmyphone likes this.
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

g725s likes this.
  3. g725s

g725s Member

thanks for the info

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did I hear someone say they need to find their key for their copy of Windows 10? Follow the link and download Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (It's free and it's safe), install it and it will get you key for any operating system from Windows 7 through 10.

Have you considered cloning your hard drive? Whatever you do recover a copy of your key first.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

g725s does not need to find the key as win 10 in his computer is already registered with MS so should autoactivate when windows is installed.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's a tough one! I purchased a retail copy of Windows 10 since I figured it would be the last copy I will ever have to purchase. It came with a little key card that clearly states "keep this key in case you ever have to reinstall Windows." An OEM version has a different license than a retail version in that as long as you only use it on one PC at time you can install it on as many new computers as you will need over time. An OEM version is limited to the single computer that you and if you change it too much Microsoft might not activate it. In the past Microsoft only followed an install for about six months so you could in effect reuse a key if you have it, but I don't know that you can reuse a download copy. How do you download a copy of windows to a system that has no operating system if it's your only PC? I have my windows 10 installation setup info on a thumb drive. It's always a good idea to cover all of your bases, so get the key anyway!

7. aldan

aldan Active member

i think that key is just to give you piece of mind.lol.not needed.

g725s likes this.
  8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I don't think so! It might always be needed bu the key allows you to perform an install on a clean drive or a reformatted drive. Again it could be because I have a retail copy, but if I didn't have the key I would've had no way to install my copy of Win 10. I did have to enter it to proceed with the install. So I'll keep my peace of mind and you can keep your piece of mind. LOL

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

11. g725s

g725s Member

Just wanted to say Thanks to all for your help.

12. g725s

g725s Member

As per the first article you posted:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. g725s

g725s Member

Just an update. Worked great. Very easy to just run the Create Windows 10 installation media tool by Microsoft and make a USB Drive for a clean install. Windows seemed to recognize my PC automatically after installing the new SSD and turning it on with the flash drive installed and performing the install clean.

14. aldan

aldan Active member

good you got it sorted.

g725s likes this.