1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Starviex Box - no picture no sound- Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jeero, Jan 25, 2007.

1. jeero

jeero Member

Can someone please help me. I just got a new starview box today. After autoscanning on n*l it picked up all the channels. However no picture or sound will come on for any channels. it says scrambled or bad channel.

Can anyone pleae please help me?

thanks

2. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Press Menu, go yo Parental Control and press the INFORMATION button on the remote quickly press 2004 and this will open a hidden menu, go down to EMU and set on. Exit all the way back out, go to a scrambled channel and it will update in 10 - 15 seconds.

3. jeero

jeero Member

thanks a million for your reply. When i go into parental control, it immediately asks me for my old pin. and thats all that happens. any ideas? am i doing it correctly?

4. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

As soon as you go into Parental Control ignore the pin,
    press INFORMATION button on the remote (nothing happens on screen) and press 2004. The hidden menu will now open.

If you do not press the INFO button it assumes you are entering a new pin.

5. jeero

jeero Member

if it makes any difference, its the grey box.

6. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Makes no difference, see above.

You might not have the correct software on the box. Download the files from the "STARVIEW FILES" thread and flash the latest image onto it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  7. jeero

jeero Member

thanks a million. i'll try that tomorrow? should one of those cables be easy to pick up? i'm a bit useless when it comes to really techie things?

also, do i only need to hook it up to the gtloader and hit download?

thanks again.

8. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

It's very simple, connect a null modem cable to the box and PC, run the loader, choose image (latest date), choose COM port (usually 1) and away you go.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97740&criteria=null modem&doy=25m1

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=null+modem

9. jeero

jeero Member

thank you very very much. its greatly appreciated.

10. jeero

jeero Member

sorry, 1 more question, does it have to be female to female 9 pin as my laptop has no such connection on the back. sorry again.

11. jeero

jeero Member

OK, bought the cable. Pluged it all in. Used the loader. Put in most recent bin file and it came up "flash failed".

cry cry :(

12. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

If you are using a USB - SERIAL these do not allways work, try a friends PC.

The set up on these boxes is very simple and not beyond the remit of just about anyone.
    Simply follow the instructions below and you can’t go wrong;

Setup
    Connect pc and starview via a standard null modem lead
    Power up the pc and the starview, it doesn’t matter what order you do it in.
    Now start the GTROM loader program
    Select the bin file image and the loader program will automatically select the correct settings. The only think you may have to watch for is the com setting, this is normally com 1 but may differ if your pc is set up differently.
    Now click the download program in the GTROM window. DO NOT POWER DOWN YOUR PC OR STARVIEW BOX WHILE DOWNLOAD IS TAKING PLACE.
    When you get the message that the download is complete connect the starview to your TV and tune your TV channel to channel 38 or use scart. You should now be in the installation menu.
    Select English, or a language of your choice and you will now go to the next screen, choose your provider, you will have a choice of Telewest, C&W or NTL, choose the one for your area and then select automatic scan, this should take between ten to 15 mins to complete
    Once your scan has completed, either press exit or power off to get out of the screen, then go to Menu and select parental control, from the parental control screen press (i) and then put the code 2004 in. This will bring up the hidden option screen.
    At this point you need to go down to key emu and put to (on)
    Now press exit till you get back to the TV picture.
    Change channel to a scrambled channel and wait for the update to run, normally takes about ten to fifteen seconds. When update is complete all channels should be clear.

View/change keys
    Press menu and go into parental control
    Press (i)
    Input code (2004)
    Scroll down to Nagravision
    Press (ok)

13. jeero

jeero Member

Hi , i bought the 9 pin female to female cable you mentioned and tried to do it from a pc and that was the result i got. I'll try again later. Cant figure out why the flash failed.

What bugs me the most, is that i'm unable to pull up the hidden menu. I keep trying. I have tried going into the parental conrtol menu- it immediatly prompts me to enter my old pin.

I have tried holding the info button down and entering 2004 ( nothing happens), i have also tried pressing the info button once then pressing 2004, but that just enters into the old pin.

i am completely lost.

14. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Try this, press MENU button on the remote followed by 1570, then the secret menu should appear, then switch key emu too on, then exit

15. jeero

jeero Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  16. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  17. jeero

jeero Member

I got sorted. Thank you for all you help.

18. glasgae

glasgae Member

Fekker
    Even paid-for help lines don't help out as much as you .......... total respect !!!!

19. gaza

gaza Guest

Can someone please!please! send me the old starview file