1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system built and might have a few problems.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Rhamhoy, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

I just built a new system yesterday and I think there could be some problems. This was the first system i've ever built, specs are

Win XP Media Centre Edition
    Intel Quad Core Q6600
    2GB of RAM
    GeForce 8500GT
    GIGABYTE N650SLI-DS4L
    3 fans
    480W power supply

The motherboard comes with all these utilities to monitor heat and so on, I opened up easy tune and got warning signs beside

CPU Temp which reads 63/145

Then Fans

CPU RPM reads 0
    PWR1 RPM reads 0
    System RPM reads 0

Now I know 3 fans are running and when I turn on Alert Audio, it goes mental. Does anyone think I have a problem here?

P.S. I was trying to run a game earlier and was getting poor performance even though the computer is way above the required specs, could it be the PSU isn't strong enough?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in hardware monitor in the bios to see what your cpu temp is. if that is your cpu temp then heatsink is not properly seated. make certain the fan's power connector is connected to the motherboard's cpu connector & not psu or case connector(s).

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The temperature of your CPU is alarmingly high and suggests the heatsink isn't firmly attached. Thats probably not the cause of poor gaming performance though. The graphics card you've chosen is trash, and will only be able to play current gameson very low settings, or older games. You'll need to get a proper graphics card if you want to play recent games, and if you do that you may need a new power supply as well. What make is the PSU you've currently got? If it's a cheap crummy brand like Raidmax, Qtec, Rosewill etc. then it definitely has to be replaced.

4. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Ok looks like there is a problem. I turned the computer off last night thinking the router wasn't on (I was running downloads and woke up at about 4am) went downstairs came back up noticed the modem was on and tried to turn the comp back on and the LEDs lit up then immediately turned off. No power to the comp at all it seems. I imagine the power supply has died. Now i'm starting to wonder will it have taken other components with it?

In regards to CPU temp, the heatsink and processor were fitted to the mobo in store. I watched the guy install the components, everything was installed properly. I assume the heatsink just isn't up to the job of keeping the CPU cool? I also went to buy a new PSU and graphics card yesterday but the shop was closed and doesn't open until tomorrow.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are two possibilities here.
    Possibility 1: The CPU was hot because the CPU cooler wasn't properly attached. It has now become so loose it doesn't make contact and the CPU instantly overheats when you turn the PC on (this will happen if your heatsink isn't attached properly, even if it looks like it is)
    Possibility 2: A power-related component has failed, such as the power supply. Either way, you should replace the power supply with a proper unit, such as a Corsair VX. Once you've done that, inspect the heatsink to make sure it's properly attached. If it is, and the new PSU doesn't solve your problem, some of the components may have been damaged, such as the motherboard. If the heatsink isn't properly attached you will need to reattach it using fresh thermal grease (this means cleaning off the existing stuff with either a proper TIM remover like Arcticlean or window & glass cleaner, and then putting on fresh Thermal grease, like Arctic silver V). With stock heatsinks you can't simply put it back on without removing the thermal compound as the material that comes with standard heatsinks is one-use only. As soon as the heatsink is removed it's useless.

6. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Cheers Sam very helpful post. I just remembered one other thing. Don't know whether this will help or not. When the computer is plugged in, there's a USB wireless mouse attatchment that lights up so power is going to it. However I have two fans with leds on them. When I press the power button they move slightly and light up then immediately stop. They're directly connected to the power supply. I assume if the mobo was dead the fans would still run anyway simply because they are solely connected to the power supply? Also if it is possibility 1, is that a failsafe or would I have a dead CPU?

7. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

It can be one of many different scenarios that you are currently in. PSU's don't just supply one voltage / current rating to one perticular part of your PC. They supply various supplies (3.3v, 5v and 12v) to the different components. For example your M/B can have 1 or 2 supplies going to it (depending on the M/B / CPU combination).

Most modern CPU's require a seperate square looking 4 pin supply (connected close to the CPU on the M/B) with the addition of a rectangular looking, 20 pin connector (located elsewhere on the M/B), and some M/B / CPU combinations combine both the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors into one 24 pin connector.

The storage drives (SATA / IDE / Optical / Floppy) all require a supply, as do certain modern graphics cards etc.

As you can see the power supply does a lot!!

If for example the 12v rail has blown, then the 3.3v and 5v rails may still work (depending on the PSU) which would explain why your mouse, USB lights etc etc may still show power going to them.

Id probably say these are your possible scenarios ranking from best case to worst case

1 - One of the PSU rails has failed resulting in no supply to the M/B or CPU - remidied by replacing PSU with a better one (Free under warranty, but use the warranty PSU as an exchange for a better one - £20-40+ for exchange)

2 - Motherboard fried due to CPU drawing too much current - remidied by replacing M/B - Again could be free as the store fitted the parts, but you could also end up paying for a new M/B £65-£80

3 - CPU fried due to overheating - remidied by replacing CPU - Again could be free as the store fitted the parts, but you could also end up paying for a new CPU £130-£150

4 - Combination of all above.

Looking at your post date (25th December), and the fact the "guy in the store" put it together, you really shouldn't have any problems if it is due to the fact the CPU has overheated, and as a result drawn too much current from the PSU through the M/B and damaged whatever in the process. As he constructed it, its his responsibility. However they may not accept liability.

If it was the PSU that was just a cheapo sort, then replacing it may sort out your problems, however I would seriously suggest taking Sams advice and reseating the CPU / HS Fan with a decent thermal paste / grease as those temps are way too high.

Let us know how you get on

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Often, USB ports are powered even with the PC in the 'off' state. As long as the PC's plugged into the mains, they'll be powered, hence the mouse lighting up. The reason why the fans move and then stop is that when the PC is turned on, a 'critical fault' error is being sensed by the motherboard, causing it to power off the system straight away, hence why the fans only twitch. Typically either power faults or heat cause this problem. Motherboards are trained to automatically shut down the PC (instantly, not the windows style of shut down) if the CPU temperature exceeds a certain level, usually 80C. If that temperature is reached instantly (which it will if a heatsink isn't properly attached) then that's what happens.
    I would be very surprised if you have a dead CPU. I'd put the fault either with the cooling or the power supply. If it is the latter, however, other components may potentially have been damaged. If the former don't worry, the CPU will almost certainly not have been harmed.

9. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Right well i'll be heading tomorrow to pick up a new power supply, graphics card and heatsink. Try and kill off all these problems at once. As far as cooling goes what else should I do? I'm buying a copper heatsink with some thermal paste, the casing already has 3 fans, two on the side and one at the top. Is there any other cooling equipment I should consider?

10. ddp

if cpu fan heatsink assembly came with cpu then don't replace it with new 1 unless you are overclocking the cpu. the temperature points to airgap between cpu & heatsink so get that rectified 1st besides getting new psu.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed. You don't actually need to buy a new heatsink, just the thermal paste that goes underneath one.

12. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

So as I understand I most likely have one of two problems or both. A faulty PSU or heatsink that hasn't been fitted right. The thing is though i'm pretty adamant that it was fitted correctly. Is it all possible the heatsink could be damaged or anything? Is there a particular way I could tell if I removed it and looked at it?

Btw thanks very much for all these answers!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If there's a problem it should be obvious. When I had this issue, although the heatsink looked like it was in the right place, I could pull it round by 30 degrees easily, two of the clips had come off. If pulling it gently in various directions doesn't budge it, it's probably secure.

14. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

No it's definitely secure, no way it's moving. I don't understand why the processor temp is so high then when the comp actually powers up. Any ideas as to why that's happening? And since it is secure should I bother removing it and putting cooling paste on it again?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even though it seems securely attached, I'd still go ahead with the re-application of thermal paste, those temperatures are too high, regardless of the current scenario.

16. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Yeah i'm definitely gonna go that. If the CPU was fried, would the rest of the components not try to run anyway, like the fans and HDD's and DVD drive etc? The more and more I think about it I believe the CPU is overheating when I turn it on. That and perhaps the PSU is dead anyway but it has to be replaced for a new graphics card either way.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually they would. If the CPU was dead, the components would stay running indefinitely but with nothing on the screen.

18. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Yeah that's what I thought. The more and more I think about it i'm putting it down to either the CPU overheating or a PSU fault. The PSU is being replaced anyway and i'll refit the CPU tomorrow. Thanks very much for the help, i'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.

19. ddp

another possibilty is that the cpu is running faster then it is supposed to, in otherwords, overclocked.

20. Rhamhoy

Rhamhoy Member

Ok I bought a new PSU and new graphics card. Refitted the heatsink installed the new equipment and the PC is running again. However i'm looking at Easytune and I still see problems. It now reads

CPU Temp 42/107, no warning sign

Fans

CPU RPM stays around 1570 accompanied by warning sign

PWR 1 RPM 0 accompanied by warning sign

System RPM 0 accompanied by warning sign

I assume the CPU RPM is far too low? And the others don't have any connected and that's why they have no reading?