1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to backing up Xbox games. Questions....

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by axess68, Oct 29, 2004.

1. axess68

axess68 Member

I am going to be modding my Xbox in mid November.

I had a couple questions about backing up my Xbox games.

I have a burner that can burn DVD9-dual layered discs. Is that the only way DVD9 Xbox games can be backed up? Or is there a shrink program that will make it into a DVD5?

How long does it take to FTP an Xbox game (DVD5 and DVD9) to a PC hard drive?

Would I lose anything backing up a DVD9 game as DVD5?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup...

dvd9, yea, your good here... two things to take note about...
    1. To backup a dvd9 game, just install chip, flash bios, install evolution x dashboard, ftp into the xbox, copy d drive to your pc, make an xbox image of the folder, burn to a blank dvd9 disc.. in a nutshell...

2. FAT32 files systems have a file size limit of 4GB.. what does this mean? it means that making an xbox image file of a dvd9 game is gonna be over this limit.. solution? NTFS partition... you'll have to save the xbox image file to the NTFS partition..

For me, if i remember correctly (don't have my xbox anymore...) but i think about 5-10 minutes depending on my connect speed with flashfxp and the game size...

yea, you would lose stuff.. heck, doubt you could even burn it.. cuz the burner would tell you your disk is not large enough...

but there are hacks/patches out there that do this, removes files that are not needed to allow for the game to fit onto a dvd5.. i know my enter the matrix backup had to have a batch file ran on it that renamed files, hacked the default.xbe to point to thesee new files, and delete a few other language based movies.. the reason for this batch file was cuz the file names could not be read by the xbox when you sent it back to the xbox's harddrive.. pretty smart of them.. hehe...

hope that helps..

check out a few of the stickies.. full of knowledge..

peace
    seamonkey420

3. axess68

axess68 Member

Thanks Seamonkey!

Well, since my DVD Burner is one that can burn Dual-Layered discs, I might as well get some dual layered blanks for Halo 2, etc. that are dual-layered and not go the shortcut route. I don't mind paying the extra for the blanks. Games get scratched so easily. So, I have to back up pretty much everything I have.

I have two hard drives on my system and my secondary (where I keep my games and other files) is NTFS while the main is FAT32. So, when I copy DVD's, etc, I use the secondary NTFS drive.