1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Blu Ray burning/ripping.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Pinky6190, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Pinky6190

Pinky6190 Newbie

I was looking for recommendations on which route would be the to go with for purchasing Blu Ray burning and ripping hardware and software.

I wanted to be able to burn blu ray discs so I could play them on my PS4 Pro or Samsung UBD-K8500. Would this even be possible?

If so what would be the best external burner to purchase?

What discs would you suggest for burning blu rays onto?

I was also interested in backing these up on an external drive. Would this be better to try to play the ripped blu ray info via BD-R or straight from an external hard drive?

What is the best software I could purchase or download to make the process easier?

Is there anyway to burn or rip the content into 4k so it would play on my samsung device as such.

If you are a pro and I am missing out on anything please help me out with some pointers.

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is piracy & a forum rule no no. "Can I rip or burn Blu Rays from Red Box or Netflix"

3. Pinky6190

Pinky6190 Newbie

My apologies it was removed.

4. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Be sure to read all the many options available to you. There are several issues that may arise when creating a backup and one of the biggest is Cinavia (an audio watermark). Not all movies have this but when you create a backup that has Cinavia after 20 min. of view all of a sudden you have no sound.

• DVDRanger claims to remove Cinavia, but in early testing it did not work for me. (Not sure now)
    • CinExHD is part of DVDRanger and it did work but the sound quality was a little poor. (Never purchased it just used the free trial.)
    • DVDFab I have not tried or purchased, but this software is extremely well known and I would think that it would work.
    • AnyDVD HD (Discontinued) removed Cinavia if you are watching it on your PC, does not remove the watermark for recording.
    • RedFox AnyDVD HD Same developers as AnyDVD, just re-branded the software.
    There are a lot of choices to select from so diligently search and ask questions before you purchase.

Mez likes this.
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

Excellent suggestions 6guns. It is refreshing to see someone ask questions BEFORE they buy. You might want to check a more video exclusive forum. AD has good expertise over a wide set of technologies. I went to a different forum before I bought my BR burner. I am VERY particular on the quality of read and write. I was able to recover 'empty' DVDs with the new burner. The wattage of the BR and how well it focuses make all the difference when reading a faded burned disk or a scratched disk. The burner can read through a heavy scratch. That is much easier than having to resurface the disk.