1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to burning and have a question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Moor84, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Moor84

Moor84 Guest

I just bought a dual layered dvd burner. Does this mean I can actually fit a movie on a dvd without shrinking? I was also wondering how I can enable the dual burning? The questions may sound dumb, but I just got the thing yesterday and tried to burn a dvd and it would not fit. I must be doing something really wrong because I thought I would be able to fit over 8gb of information on 1 disc. Please give me some insight on this.
    Thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

First of all please answer a few questions, and welcome to AD :)

What type of disks are you using?
    What is the method you are using to try and back up your DVD? (Programs you are using)
    I could post a really long answer to this thread, but I may just be wasting mine and your time so please provide a little more info when asking a question :)

Other thing that ushually help people answer your questions quicker..
    Operating System?
    Model of DVD Burner?
    Programs you are using?
    Media Brand and type?

These are just good things to post so people can help a little better. You might just want to include that stuff in your signature and then you wouldnt have to type it in all the time. Just a little friendly advise :)

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Just because your burner can burn dual layer dvd's doesn't mean it will. You have to use dual layer media. They are still very expensive: something like ~$10 apiece! (In the US.)

If you are not using dual layer media, but are buying and using the more ubiquitous single layer media, then you will not get more than 4.7 gb per dvd, despite having a dual layer burner.

You'll need to use dvd shrink to fit larger movies on a single layer medium.