1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Disc Swapping Please Help!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by JonnyH585, Apr 16, 2005.

1. JonnyH585

JonnyH585 Member

Hi all, my friend is giving me his PS2 cuz he hates it (loser hah), so I'm delving into the wonderful world of Swap Discs! But I have a few questions that I was hoping somebody could answer first before I buy anything. Thanks!

So, Swap Magic v.3.6 would need a Slide Card or fliptop lid or Quick Switch device for me to switch with a copy of a game. However, on some online stores, I have seen HD Advance 2.0 being bundled with a slide card for $40 (good deal I think). Does HD Advance do the same thing as Swap Magic v.3.6 if I use a standard Slide Card? I don't really care about the USB features, as I really don't know much about those at all

Also, I've seen some threads talking about specifically how to burn/make/pull out of thin air your backed-up copies of games, but they talk about having to screw with specific programs and files, etc. If I was hypothetically to have a downloaded .ISO image of a game (4.35GB or less) I would do the following correct :wow: ?
    -Open Nero Burning ROM, or Alcohol 120% or DVD Decrypter (I have all 3, but I've only used Nero so far for this)
    -Select "Burn DVD Image"
    -Burn baby burn!
    -Then exchange with a Swap Disc using Slide Tool, and play, assuming the .ISO is not corrupted
    I ask because I've read about people having to download like patch files or some crap like that and I'm quite confused.

Now, I have also read it is possible to make a back-up of a game if you rip with DVD Decrypter and Burn at 2X with Nero, if this is true then that would be awesome, but I'm pretty skeptical as to if this is a better alternative to using HD Advance.

Heh, sorry for being so new to this but I would really appreciate any answer that could be given to me, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

no, its not a good deal. Hd advance lets you put a hd in your ps2 and play games off of it. If you want to do that, just get swap magic and use it to load a downloaded version of hd advance. Also, dvd decrypter is just a program you can use to copy games, just like nero. Either way, you still need swap magic to play burnt games.

3. JonnyH585

JonnyH585 Member

4. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

most games dont need patching, there are 1 or 2 that do though but somebody has made a list on this forum of which games need patching for swapmagic. 90% just need a 1:1 copy read and burnt at slowest speeds.