1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DVD burning...

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by PiTBuLLs, Apr 18, 2005.

1. PiTBuLLs

PiTBuLLs Member

Im new to DVD burning, just got my DVD burner installed and running a few mins ago. I have some avi videos that I would like to be able to play on my DVD player, I have a DVD+RW player and DVD+R DVDs....ive never done this before so please explain how...I have Nero program and Recond Now! too....

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You first need to make those avi's into mpeg-2.
    You can then make the mpeg-2's into DVD and burn them.
    If you have Nerovision Express in your Nero package, it can do it all for you.
    I think Sonic RecordNow might, but I'm not that familiar with it.
    If you don't currently have Nerovision Express, the update (NOT upgrade) is free at http://www.nero.com

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  3. PiTBuLLs

PiTBuLLs Member

Do I just get Update-Package 3?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

I think that should do it, yes.

5. PiTBuLLs

PiTBuLLs Member

Hey, I just got the upgrade and put one of the avi videos on DVD and it works great but it said it had to make it smaller to fit on the DVD, and a message said I could get it normal quality with DVD-9? Whats that? 9 DVDs to have it normal quality or something? And it works great but I really thought I would be able to fit many more videos (with 4.7gigs how could it not?) onto 1 DVD....What can I do to make them fit on one without lowering the quality if its possible?

Errr...another thing, these arent really 4.7gigs? On NeroVision Express it says down on the bottom when i put the 2 videos on there Used space: 4.40 GB, 0.02 more than available. These are the ones i bought http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-321&depa=0

Edit again....What exactly does reducing to long play do? Besides making it fit :p

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

No. A "regular" DVDR is called a DVD5, and can hold about 4.7 gigs. a DVD9 (aka Dual Layer) DVDR, can hold about 8.3 gigs.
    Because avi's are tightly compressed, when encoded to mpeg-2 and then authored to be DVD compliant, the compression isn't so tight, thus the file size grows larger.
    At "standard" settings, you can get about 2 hours onto one DVDR 5.
    You can change the settings in Nerovision, but the quality could drop a lot if you lower the bitrate too much.
    It's all how a gig is measured...mostly marketing strategy. A 4.7gig DVDR can only hold 4.3 gig, because 1 gig is actually 1024 meg, not 1000 meg, and 1 meg is actually 1024k not 1000k, and 1 k is actually 1024 bytes, etc...
    Selecting the different options is simply adjusting the bitrate. Higher bitrate equals higher quality, which equals less playing time on the disk.
    Long play allows for 4 hours (If I remember right) on the DVDR, by lowering the bitrate of the encode.
    You'll have to try one to see if the quality is good enough for you.
    Generally LP is fine for downloaded stuff, but not good enough for digital video cam captures, or other HQ video.

7. bammi

bammi Member

When I try to backup 'The House of Flying Daggers' I get an invalid file size. Is there a way to back this up or is that a form of protection? Thank you.

8. PiTBuLLs

PiTBuLLs Member

I just burned this video and did that long play (bitrate went from like 5500 to 3500) thing. Would that affect how the sound plays and the video? Cause now on the DVD the sound doesnt match up with the video toward the middle :(.

Edit...What program can I use that wont change the quality or bitrate or anything like that to take a bit off the end of a video (want to take 2 mins off, think thats will be enough off of it so it wont say im 0.02 GB over the limit?)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  9. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Now you're getting into advanced editing and authoring, and Nerovision just isn't going to do it.
    Nero's encoder is notorously bad at audio.
    I would suggest you start with a guide such as this: http://members.shaw.ca/videojunk/avi2dvd.htm
    There are lots more in the Guides section here.
    To cut bits from a video, you first have to have a video to work with. The output from Nerovision isn't exactly the easiest to edit.
    To resync audio, you should learn how to do audio separately from video, in a standalone encoder/transcoder.