1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DVDfab Platinum

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mediamark, Apr 9, 2007.

1. mediamark

mediamark Member

hello

i've recently started using DVDfab Platinum as i've found DVD decrypter can't handle some of the more recently released DVDs.

The problem i've found is that on one title, having ripped 2 channel audio only,i get an un-wanted descriptive track (for the visually impaired)on the final burnt copy that i can't switch off!

So, how do i stop this?
    Is it better to rip the 5.1 audio rather than 2 channel and will this play on my 2 channel system?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hi, to the 5.1 audio question - yup, it'll play fine on non-5.1 equipment, it'll just be 'downmixed' to stereo. It's only DTS that you have to worry about, if you have no DTS-capable equipment you'll hear zilch. directors' commentaries are (as far as i know) only ever in 2channel so they're easy to spot. i think that's the same for visually impaired too, not sure as i always blitz thru the tickboxes lightning quick.

As to DVDFab i only use the free version, in Full Disc Mode and Main Movie mode, but i always run the resultant files thru DVD Shrink to see if anything needs removing (regardless of which mode i use in DVDFab - as i only really use DVDFab to deal with the encryption; there's loads of features in DVDFab but i only care about getting rid of the encryption)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. mediamark

mediamark Member

Hi Creaky, thanks for your prompt reply.

Looks Like 5.1 is the way to go.
    I ripped a 5.1 only DVD and that plays fine.I ripped "All tracks" too not the default Dolby Digital, would that make a difference?

Spotted the remove DTS tick box but have stayed clear.
    Is better to rip in DVDfab and burn in another app, I use Clone DVD, or do it all in DVDfab?

Thanks

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

no worries.
    always pick only the audio you want, leaves more space for video. (you may or may not know this already but in case you don't, audio is never compressed by any of these programs, audio tracks are transferred 'as is', only video is ever compressed hence only have the audio you need).

I've never used CloneDVD myself, and as to DVDFab, as i say i've only ever used it for encryption-busting duties. I then chuck the resultant files into DVD Shrink in case there's anything to tweak (sometimes i read of people having issues with main-movie mode in DVDFab not always working correctly so i'm in the habit of double-checking in Shrink anyhow). Then for burning i only ever use Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.18. i'm not one to use/know about all the features in various programs,i just use what works and pretty much stick to it. I leave it to other posters to fiddle with numerous other utilities/features, i've always got way too much to do to get bogged down with PC programs :)