1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Linux? Don’t Use Ubuntu, You’ll Probably Like Linux Mint Better

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

New To Linux? Don’t Use Ubuntu, You’ll Probably Like Linux Mint Better

Linux newbies have probably heard a lot about Ubuntu, but it isn’t the only Linux distribution. In fact, Ubuntu’s standard Unity desktop is still controversial among long-time Linux users today.

Many Linux users prefer a more traditional desktop interface, and Linux Mint offers that. As Ubuntu focuses more on Ubuntu for phones, Linux Mint may be an even clearer choice in the future.

No, Ubuntu isn’t terrible. Some people prefer Ubuntu’s Unity desktop and love it. But you’ll probably have an easier time getting to grips with Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu.

The Issues With Ubuntu
    Let’s take a quick look at Ubuntu’s Unity desktop first. New users (and even experienced Linux users) will have many issues with it:

GO HERE TO READ MORE

http://www.howtogeek.com/208070/new-to-linux-dont-use-ubuntu-youll-probably-like-linux-mint-better/

2. MagentoSite

MagentoSite Newbie

Linux Mint 17.1 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

3. GreenMinishCap

GreenMinishCap Newbie

I'll look into it. I only dabbled with Ubuntu if only briefly before reverting back to Windows 8.1.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

might prefer crunchbang or sabayon actually.. if you can run that shite 8.1 then sabayon is going to stun you :)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good stun or bad stun?

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming that useless partition manager they changed to commits the changes otherwise ya ain't going nowhere,who was the genius responsible for that nonsense,have they fixed it or is it still borked

edit: i'm referring to sabyon

7. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

installed nice as pie for me a few weeks back.. but on an already created partition set.. because I like cfdisk being old skool like :)

8. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

been dabbling with Mint recently.. having a non PAE cpu is becoming a real hassle and the only distro now providing a kernel built like that is Mint (or build your own with gentoo.. no thanks)

It's 17.1 (quiana) in the bedroom.. on my antique K8N still with it's original 2005 vintage 3400+ oc @ 10%

[​IMG]

and doing stuff :D

[​IMG]

serious wallpaper envy or what? .. oh yeah. and finally got a widescreen monitor.. only 5 years after the entire rest of the planet