1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Linux? Don’t Use Ubuntu, You’ll Probably Like Linux Mint Better

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by ireland, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

New To Linux? Don’t Use Ubuntu, You’ll Probably Like Linux Mint Better

Linux newbies have probably heard a lot about Ubuntu, but it isn’t the only Linux distribution. In fact, Ubuntu’s standard Unity desktop is still controversial among long-time Linux users today.

Many Linux users prefer a more traditional desktop interface, and Linux Mint offers that. As Ubuntu focuses more on Ubuntu for phones, Linux Mint may be an even clearer choice in the future.

No, Ubuntu isn’t terrible. Some people prefer Ubuntu’s Unity desktop and love it. But you’ll probably have an easier time getting to grips with Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu.

The Issues With Ubuntu
    Let’s take a quick look at Ubuntu’s Unity desktop first. New users (and even experienced Linux users) will have many issues with it:

GO HERE TO READ MORE

http://www.howtogeek.com/208070/new-to-linux-dont-use-ubuntu-youll-probably-like-linux-mint-better/

2. MagentoSite

MagentoSite Newbie

Linux Mint 17.1 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2019. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

3. GreenMinishCap

GreenMinishCap Newbie

I'll look into it. I only dabbled with Ubuntu if only briefly before reverting back to Windows 8.1.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

might prefer crunchbang or sabayon actually.. if you can run that shite 8.1 then sabayon is going to stun you :)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

good stun or bad stun?

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Assuming that useless partition manager they changed to commits the changes otherwise ya ain't going nowhere,who was the genius responsible for that nonsense,have they fixed it or is it still borked

edit: i'm referring to sabyon

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

installed nice as pie for me a few weeks back.. but on an already created partition set.. because I like cfdisk being old skool like :)

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

been dabbling with Mint recently.. having a non PAE cpu is becoming a real hassle and the only distro now providing a kernel built like that is Mint (or build your own with gentoo.. no thanks)

It's 17.1 (quiana) in the bedroom.. on my antique K8N still with it's original 2005 vintage 3400+ oc @ 10%

[​IMG]

and doing stuff :D

[​IMG]

serious wallpaper envy or what? .. oh yeah. and finally got a widescreen monitor.. only 5 years after the entire rest of the planet

9. svejorange

svejorange Newbie

Yeap! I completely agree! I wanted to start using linux and got told the exact same thing from a friend, who is long time Ubuntu user.

10. pmshah

pmshah Member

Linux Mint without a doubt is the most user friendly version, especially for those coming from Windows environment. I would have switched to it completely a long time ago if only there were 2 equivalent applications were available. (1) Internet Download Manager & (2) Daum PotPlayer.

Believe me Kodi is no where even close to PotPlayer in features and performance. Same holds true for VLC.

pds3 likes this.
  11. vagomez8

vagomez8 Newbie

I'm Linux newbie have been using Ubuntu, have to try Linux Mint thanks.:)

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm still running 17 .. on completely different hardware.. same install even.. which is why I like mint.. it's pretty solid.. but that bullet will need to face teeth soon.. due to 17 reaching eol.. oh well.. every machine I have tried to dist-upgrade to 18 from 17 failed.. sooo.. luckily I has some serious hardware and some big drives.. odd to say.. actually this mint install was repo swapped from crunchbang about 5 years ago.. not done bad.. 3 different sets of hardware for the same installation...

Another one which has impressed me a lot is Manjaro.. it's Arch based.. bit of a pig until you get your head around a completely different package manager and update system (and you learn about package manager configs if you miss a weekly update or two).. but that's also solid.. and it's superb on lesser older laptops..

Attached Files: