1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Linux - want to dual boot with XP

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by newtechie, Jul 11, 2007.

1. newtechie

newtechie Regular member

I downloaded Ubuntu. What I would like to do is dual boot it on a 2nd internal hard drive. Both drives have SATA connections. I know how to install an operating system but I haven't done it with 2 systems before. I guess I should unplug the power connector from the XP system first so there won't be any confusion to where the Ubuntu files should go. Is this correct? If anyone can send me a step by step guide that gives EXPLICIT instructions that are easy to follow I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a total newb to Linux but I'm an above average computer user.

Thanks.

2. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

hahah dude; speak of the devil--I JUST did that today!

..but it wasn't on two sata drives--

I had xp on an sata while I put linux on one of my old spare IDE drives from a while back.

...but pretty much all I did was change my boot sequence to boot from the cd/dvd drive so I could install from the linux cd; and then eventually there's a menu in the install process that asks where you'd like to install linux; ..and there's a variety of options.

..but the one I chose; since I have 1 hdd for each OS; was to install on the IDE....

.....but it's pretty self explanatory installing a dual boot; ...

...the only major part is making sure that you select at the one screen to install one JUST the one drive.

3. deadlove

deadlove Guest

remember.. you may have to change /etc/boot/grub/menu.list to boot from sda?.. kubuntu set grub up to boot from hda1 on a system with 2 sata drives

4. newtechie

newtechie Regular member

Ok guys - I've got it installed. Now, question #2. How can I access the internet? I have a wireless PCI card in the desktop but of course it's for Windows. I already checked the packaging and I didn't see Linux as a requirement.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- my personal suggestion is ndiswrapper, though i did deliberately buy all my wifi stuff with Linux in mind; your wifi card may be natively supported, maybe not - have a look thru here and see what turns up - http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/...ponent/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list/

6. newtechie

newtechie Regular member

Hey Creaky,
    Thanks for the reply.

It's listed there twice but I'm not for sure what version.
    1. Card: Trendnet TEW-423PI (version A)
    Chipset: Texas Instrument ACX 111
    pciid: 104c:9066 Windows
    Driver: The latest windows XP driver works fine with ndiswrapper in Ubuntu 6.06. Also supports WPA. The native Linux acx driver in Ubuntu doesn’t work with this card, and you should remove the acx driver. (Today’s date: 2006-Aug-14)
    2. Card: Trendnet TEW-423PI (Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 Libertas 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03))
    used drivers from windows cd. WPA works
    for H/W revision B1 (see box), used B1 drivers from website with ndiswrapper 1.28 on kubuntu edgy- only combination (driver/ndiswrapper) that worked for me.
    Tested with Debian linux Kernel 2.6.18 with ndiswraper 1.28-1 (debian source Package)

So if it's the first one, how do I remove the ACX driver in Linux. If it's 2nd one, what do I need to install the driver? Do i use the cd that came with the card?

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try getting some info on which revision of the card you have by running 'lspci', you may find some info in the output. As to removing the ACX driver, not familiar with that one, though a quick google turned up this - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=98438