1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to P2P what do you do first?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Norm9, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi there, as you can tell im new to this lark,

Is there a guide for step-by-step instructions for utorrent & anything else associated with it as i've heard its widely by far the best (word of mouth is a great help & helps you make up your mind) i came across this link

but it looks like additional to a guide? or unless someone can tell me!
    I've always tried to get around this, but was always put off by something or other technical, for instance i seem to be hearing new things like port-forwarding, but the person who referred me doesnt use that or never has?
    when do you use it, as that's why i was looking for a guide & put me on the right route.

Thanks for any help received, as i dont want to be scared of it anymore.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Ok, first, is your ISP listed here or do you know if it's blocking or throttling torrents, not much use otherwise: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs This can seem fairly intimidating at first but will become second nature. In no particular order, you can use btjunkie.org as a good search engine of public sites, Peer Guardian 2 (free p2p firewall), not 100% but highly recommended if downloading/uploading copyrighted files is illegal where you live and utorrent. Some settings for it are at options>preferences>download, set a download folder. I just created a new folder on my desktop but you can point utorrent anywhere or use the default. At options>preferences>connection, set a port over 10,000 that isn't the default and disable UPnP. At options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 and both DHT options on public sites sites but not private sites (where you register) and you can set both Global maximum connections and connected peers to 250-350. At options>speed guide>connection type, do a speed test and select the number closest to your upload speed. This corresponds to the 10% figure and you can run the test over a few days to get a good average. After you do a search and find your file, save it to a different location than your download folder (only for utorrent and again I just save it to my desktop). Clicking on that file will automatically open utorrent and start your download (don't forget PG2 when utorrent is downloading/uploading). Port forwarding is not necessary unless you use a router and info on that can be found at port forward.com. That's basically it but your speeds are going to vary depending on seeds and peers, connection, etc.

3. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Wow! Thanks for all the info, i was away tending to someone as it takes up some of my time & im going to be busy here for a while as well.

My ISP isnt listed there as im based in Ireland-has that hampered anyone ?

Yeah i've a router, hopefully it'll be easy enough for me?

As well as the info you gave me, Rav's got pics to show how to do it & you just go from there?, as it looks like it'll help when you dont really know what button is called or to press.

I've heard a lot about PG2 as i use ZoneAlarm firewall in which it will be additional for being safe (i hope?) (got the tip here a while back)

& hopefully that'll be me set up?

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

As far as your ISP blocking, what is it, maybe someone here knows? The only ISP's around there I know of are Tiscali and Pipex and I'm not even sure if they're in Ireland. For your router, go here: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm find your router and click on it, on the next page find your program, click on it and just follow the directions. But you may also need to set a static ip address if your router obtains a new one each time you restart. Not hard to do, instructions here: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm or you can check at ipconfig/all now and the next time you start to see if it changes but eventually it probably will rendering any port forwarding useless. The static ip setup will show you how to get to ipconfig/all and if you do set a static address, just pay attention to what is said about the DNS server and Default gateway being the same. Just follow the link to Rav009's guide for Protocol Encryption and you only need to use PG2 while utorrent is open, it protects from companies that spy on your downloading/uploading and report it to the MPAA/RIAA, ZA doesn't.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  5. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

They havent blocked me, :) as i havent started yet as i'd like to research it by doing my homework first as i dont want any nasty surprises-sensible approach?

My ISP is Eircom (National Phone provider)

I will have to do this @ w/end when i have more time & print out this.

Pity there isnt a 'dummies guide' to this LOL

6. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

But there is...

Look in my sig. (I'm back, btw, Misty.)

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Welcome back, your site's looking good, nice to see it back up.

8. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks Tom, i had a brief look at it-looks good! Will have a better look when i get more time & the pics will take some strain away (especially on the eyes:)

BTW: is there guides just for Azareus or is utorrent lurking about there?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  10. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks mistycat, the only place i didnt check, it shows on me!

i meant to say was there guides just for azureus in Tom's sig, as thats all i found but did not check all over! Utorrent was the only one i heard of, as i dont really know azureus that well.

Thanks for the tip again. im all set up, i hope!

11. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

But before i do that i came across this on YouTube as you do!

Any thoughts on this or is it reckless by telling you on how to do it without the safety of peerguardian etc.

Thanks.

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know as I can't view the video and since installing their player, can't even access their site but I would still use PG. And I would recommend FrostWire over LimeWire for MP3, if that is brought up. Edit: that's coincidence, they went down for maintenance exactly as I was trying to access them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  13. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Oh yeah i'd still use peerguardian as its thought of highly here, its just yer man didnt mention it, come to mention it do they ever say anything about safe defences instead of telling you to plunge in?

That's a few times i've heard of Frostwire more than Limewire.

More for the research!

i didnt see that, thats some research:)

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

PG is mentioned, not often enough though and I'm as guilty as anyone on that at times. Actually, the guide by rav009 speaks of it and Protowall. Limewire amd Frostwire have the same developers and exactly the same interface so if you're happy with LW you'll be moreso with FW. Better search results in my opinion.

15. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

I havent tried any of them yet, but always heard varying reports about LW carrying viruses/trojans etc AFAIK! & more favouring reports about FW, & i always look here to get an idea of what to use.

As in the past weeks i've come across certain sites that have direct download which would seem easy to get in the short-run, as i'd need a lot of time to get everything set-up :)

Here's one, but this one seems to have a dead link or something?

Ok if you're not looking for much at moment as you'd have to pay for a lot thru rapidshare.

But talk about rapidshare i came across one of their links as well as it seems to hold links to various stuff!
    But strangely dead links again? or unless someone can answer that as its only a query.

Thanks.

PS.
    No i havent seen that!