1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to the ps2 backup scene and need some help

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by jedi79, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jedi79

jedi79 Member

hello all im new to the scene but have been in the modded xbox scene for a while now, but on with the question.... i have a version 1 ps2 :( now i was wondering what my options are to play backup games, i have a dvd burner comming at a very reasonable price of 8$ :) that only burns +r media after a little research i found that my ps2 will not read +r so i was wondering if i have other options??

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

you could try it, but v1-4 PS2's rarely read +r's. If you try it, burn on 1x speed.
    With the PS2 having dual layer games out, you may want to invest in one of those new sony dual layer burners, which will be able to do -r, -rw, DVDRAM, +r, +rw, and +DL. I dont think there is a '-' dual layer just the '+'.
    I am basically saying that if you have to go out and buy a burner, it is well worth getting a good one that will support upcoming formats, I hope I helped you.

3. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

dude they do have Dual Layer DVD-r out there. And for your information, the brand new slimline PS2 version 10 or whatever latest version of the most recent ps2 console DO NOT WORK WITH SWAP MAGIC CD. So unless youre gonna go 100% legit, ur aint playing any back up at all on the new ps2 console unless u mod it.
    And by the way, always use DVD-R in whatever things u burn, chances are you will get better luck with it than with dvd+R.

4. teggy

teggy Regular member

I dnt think anyone has backed up and played a dual layerd game and played succesfully onto a blank dual layer dvd-r. And jedi, if the burner is $8 then you aren't at much of a loss. So maybe look around and try and catch a dvd-r burner.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  5. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

cuteperv,
    I have never seen a DVD-r dual layer, but if there is can you please give me a link to it, and is there such a thing as dvd+ram or only dvd-ram.
    Does anyone know any sites with sneak previews and stuff about the PS3, and when is the PSP out where you are(in australia we have to wait 'til march 18 2005)?

6. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

And cuteperv,
    you are very confident with what you say, but surely wrong on
    this one, go to

http://forums.afterdawn.com/message_reply.cfm?
    thread_id=130393&forum_id=115

And people find ways to mod consoles, get past
    things.......................

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

8. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Hey if the new ps3 does work w/swap magic, plz pardon me. The reason i said that is because it is said on www.swapmagicfix.com, read the little text, it says that you cannot use the swap magic cd w/ the new version of ps2.

9. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

thats ok, if I had a slimline pstwo I wouldn't be hackin' at it to mod it.

oh and when I said PS3, I ment the one coming out around 2006

PSX-original grey playstation
    PS1-small white original playstation
    PS2-V1-11 standard PS2 with disk tray, later versions have infra-red built in and no i-link
    PStwo-is the V12 Pstwo the slim one, called PStwo so people know what PS someone means, it has no i-link either
    PSX- a new think coming out with a tv tuner, 120GB hard drive, DVD burner, (I think they called it PSX to confuse people between it and the old playstation) and can play ps2 games
    PSP-the hand-held playstation coming out I think dec 12 in us, but march 18-20 in australia (damn I have to wait)
    PS3-brand new console coming out in a couple of years, rumours say there will be 2 models, one with a HD. And it should play PS2 and PS3 games, but not PS1 games. and there are rumours of blue laser disks which will hold about 30GB on one layer or 50 something on two layer.

here is a pic of the new PSX, cool
    [​IMG]

10. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

is PSX ps3? And what is this PS3 anyway? Is PS3 PS2 Slimline? Jeez i'm having a head ache.

11. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

no dude, dont let the fact I am a newbie in the name fool you, I have read heaps of shit, and the PStwo slimline is the one thats out, that's it, that one it is called "pstwo"
    the PSX is the name given to both the PS1's predecessor(the first playstation) and the new PSX (the one in the picture) which is basically a PS2 that kicks arse with 120GB HD tv tuner dvd burner, and all that stuff.
    The PS3 is the NEXT GENERATION console IT ISN'T OUT YET. It doesn't have a final design or anything, it is out in US in about spring 2006 I think, earlier in Japan, later as usual in AUS, and knowing SONY that meens they have nearly 2 years to delay it, delay, In Australia, wed be lucky to get it in 2007, I think the time in New york is 16hours behind my time (8:10)