1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to this need info

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by DLOCC, Jan 16, 2004.

1. DLOCC

DLOCC Member

whats the diff with file, ifo,andiso mode when decrypting and which is better and when should they be used please help running in circles

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Heres a link to guide for DVD Decrypter

http://dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php

Use the ISO mode when you want to read and write a DVD-5.
    Use the file mode when you want to decrypt a DVD-9, then use a program like Nero Recode 2 to compress, re-author and burn your movie.

Its easier to help you when you make a nice detailed post. Tell us about your system and DVD programs, what you want to acomplish.

Check out the newbies forum, I think this question fits better there.

Frank

3. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

I'll answer yer question. ifo's and iso's are 2 totally different animals that just kinda look similar.

An .ifo file is a file on a dvd that is like an info file for the player reading the dvd. It tells it which VOB to read first etc etc.

An ISO is a type of file that is an image of whatever you are trying to copy. For example....dvd decrypter may rip a dvd and create an ISO image of it, then burn this image onto your dvdr. DVD copying apps use this also, but they usually have their own version. For example...when u do a single drive copy with nero...it pulls the data off, creates it's own brand of ISO, then prompts u to put in a blank disc, then it burns the image onto the disc. It may be an ISO image, but the actual file extension will be unique, depending upon what software makes it.

When should u use them?

You will use/see ifo's any time u are backing upping dvd's.

I personally never use ISO's. However, some people use dvd decrypter to ISO copy dvd's, or utilize the single drive ISO copy function of burning software when making a copy of a copy. I prefer on the fly, but to each his/her own.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]There is no problem so big, that a brick placed against the proper skull cannot fix =)[/small]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  4. DLOCC

DLOCC Member

on the fly your talking about coping all files with the decrypter right
    thanks for you patients

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Burning 'on-the-fly' is not a recommendation of many here , those who have NO data transfer errors from the procedure are in the minority I would say (bigtime).
    On-The-Fly is where you would put original DVD in DVD-Rom drive then a blank DVD-R(+R) in your burner & you go straight from one to the other.

herbs.