1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Wii but experienced with 360, xbox1, ps2 etc

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tententen, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tententen

tententen Member

it's always exciting and frustrating at the same time to start messing around with a new system. i just got my wii and it's a LU 522216XXX. the wii tracker says it's a D2B with 67% chance of having cut legs. so should i go with the wiikey? something else? is it going to be really hard with the cut legs? i have many questions and have done much reading on this site and others. i'm going to need help and explanations with the firmware upgrades and config discs, GCOS discs.

let's say i get a wiikey and i install it. then what? (in regard to what i said about needing help with firmwares, etc...) if someone could walk me through the beginning stages and what to do from here and/or if i get errors, i would appreciate it. i catch on fast as i am veteran to most other modding scenes other than nintendo. i've got the backing up of the games down, just need help with the other stuff. thanks alot guys.

also, if i play SMG before i mod my system and the game updates it, will i be in trouble.

2. Nealio

Nealio Regular member

I'll take a crack at some of your questions...

If you have cut legs, it is pretty hard to self-install from what I've heard. Unless you are very experienced, I would send it to a pro.

I have a Wiikey and I like it a lot. The Wiikey team can be really slow with their updates though. Cyclowiz seems to be the quickest team and has the same features as the Wiikey.

If you go with the Wiikey, once it is installed, just try a game out. There is no custom Wii firmware you have to install like on an XBOX 360.

If you wanna play the new Mario game, you will have to download a new Wiikey firmware. You just burn it to a DVD and then follow the on-screen instructions.

As of now, no Wii updates affect mods, so you are safe to update.

I hope this helps with some of your questions.

3. tententen

tententen Member

4. wii4me

wii4me Member

I've been reading here for several months and have seen posts about sending to a pro... I would very much like to do that with mine but not sure where to start. I self-installed a wiinja, had some bad luck with a couple solder points popping off but was able to get it soldered to the traces. It checks out fine with multimeter, and I've double-checked my work, but can't get it read backups. Assuming a bad chip so now have a wiikey, but would prefer someone else to do the install to a) clean up my previous mess and b) install the wiikey.

With all that said, where does one find a pro to do the install? Obviously not something that is really advertised, but any tips on finding a reputable installer would be appreciated.