1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new topmenu_plugin.rco always semi-bricks 3.40OE

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by miCkzilla, Jul 22, 2007.

1. miCkzilla

miCkzilla Member

Hi There.... First time poster, long time reader to AfterDawn.

I downgraded my psp and upgraded to 3.40OE, and was playing around with new theme's. At first, it worked fine, and then i went back to change it again and it semi-bricked. So i restored it all to the original, and then tried again (with the same theme that worked the first time... bricked again!:( )... So I copied every file from the theme one by one, and found that everything in the theme worked, until i copied over "topmenu_plugin.rco". I tried many different themes and all aspects of them work, except topmenu_plugin.rco (as soon as i copy that file into flash0, it semi-bricks, and i have to restore to the original topmenu_plugin.rco. Anyone have any ideas why changing topmenu_plugin.rco worked for me once, but no i can't have anything but the original there? - i would love to have some new icons (particually the iPhone ones:))

i read through the forums, but couldnt find anyone with the same problem. on a side note, i went to look in the cofiguration menu in the recovery screen, and nothing comes up.... is there something there that i should configure? and if so, anyone have any idea why that section doesnt load for me?

Thanks for helping!! - i guess i have 2 questions here, but my main one is why does any "topmenu_plugin.rco" other than the original, semi-brick my psp :( (i've tried over 20)

2. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Maybe because you are using 3.03 OE-C topmenu's.. Try using the 3.03 to 3.40 icon converter.. Get it here

3. guano

guano Regular member

Or you could just decrypt your .rco files w/ Resursslunski by Z33 and then use RCOedit to extract all the icons from the topmenu that won't work and inject them into the decrypted topmenu that does work. That's what I've had to do a lot.

4. miCkzilla

miCkzilla Member

glenquag - YOU RULE! - I guess I'm using a japanese version of 3.40oe, as running the Jap_Upgade was the only think that worked for me... I think i did something to covert my 3.40 form US to JAP (that's why i assume it worked at first, but not after...) is that even possible? should i not being using the JAP version?

Thanks again!

5. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I didn't even know there was a Japanese version of 3.40OE-A.. So are the icons working for you now, or not?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  6. miCkzilla

miCkzilla Member

yup - they totally are - it was the icon converter, and the Jap_update verison (the US_update didnt work). THanks agian, I'm stoked that my Wii is looking all slick once again :)

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Haha, can't quite believe it! I have never been able to use any topmenu_plugin.rco's before on any custom firmware, they always bricked my psp, no matter what i tried. Finally i use the program mentioned and convert them to Jap, and they work :)