1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new user

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ripone, Jun 22, 2004.

1. ripone

ripone Guest

i have tried dvd-shrink and gets lots of pixels, and frezzing during playback on a stand alone dvd player and i am getting tired of getting coasters, what is a good software that will make perfect back ups?

2. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I am a newbie too but lets see if I leaned anything,I take it you are not doing anything while you burn and you are using very good quality DVD's?

I also had pixel and freezing problems and after turning off my virus scan seemed to help.

Are you running FAT32?

I would use a DVD rewriable to you get it right so you don't waste so many blanks.

I was also told to turn virus scans off.

I hope this was some help but most likely there is more you need to do and someone else will give more advice.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Al[/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  3. brian100

brian100 Guest

Initial problem sounds like dodgy cheap media issues to me. Or a standalone player that aint up to the job.

There is no software that makes "perfect" backups. There is always a trade off.

Some of the better transcoding tools are (in my opinion) :-

Pinnacle instant copy (slow but quality)
    DVD2one
    Nero Recode

& finally

Intervideo dvd copy which is recommeneded by a few trusted members on this forum. But from personal experience i've had nothing but trouble with it.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I agree with Brian about the media. Most of the time these problems are caused by low grade media. And don't confuse expensive with good. I recommend either RiData (or other discs with Ritek G04 Grade A dye) or branded Verbatim (meaning it says Verbatim on the disc and not just the package). The suggestion to turn off your virus scanner is also a good one since it can interrupt your burn and cause problems. That's especially true with poor media since they give you a potential handicap before you even start.

Edit: If you're doing full disc backups, another suggestion to improve backup quality, even with good media, is to use a program like VobBlanker to remove unwanted extras.
    http://www.iespana.es/jsoto/tools/VobBlanker_exe.zip

It won't compress the disc like Shrink will, but I've found that if you remove things like trailers and making of titles from the disc you can often backup a disc with little or no compression. If there are both fullscreen and widescreen versions of the movie on a single disc (like a lot of animated titles) you can always get it to fit this way. Your general workflow would go like this:

1. Rip the movie with DVD Shrink, removing any unwanted audio and subtitle streams. Make sure No Compression is selected.

2. Open the new VIDEO_TS.IFO file (from Shrink) in VobBlanker and blank the video you don't want.

3. If the movie is still too big to burn, use DVD Shrink to open the files VobBlanker created for you and back it up with as little compression on the movie as possible. You can adjust the compression on the menus and any extras you still have so that the movie is either untouched or compressed as little as possible. If the output from VobBlanker is small enough for a blank obviously you can skip this step.

4. Burn
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  5. ripone

ripone Guest

i have burned a good disk with this media before using dvdxcopy, hdd died then i reinstalled all. and now when i use xcopy it continuously says in the log file that the files are too big for a blank dvd.

6. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Uninstall and reinstall xcopy.

How to correctly un-reinstall 321studios xcopy.

Add/remove program>remove xcopy &dvd xrescue if applicable.
    Now open windows explorer and goto program files>321studios and delete the xcopy folder
    empty the recycle bin, Reboot twice.Now re-install with antivirus off.

7. ripone

ripone Guest

Thank You Mrlovkim. You had the answer. i have now burned an excellent copy of a dvd. the result was shut down Norton and Spy Sweeper. also loose internet conection for the burn duration. any way i used the old disks that i thought were the prob at first and now i have about 90 blanks cause i kept trying different media.(used any dvd with clone dvd)

8. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Glad to have been a help.:)

Al