1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New V7 PS2 has issues (that V1 doesn't), should I take it back?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Justarius, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Justarius

Justarius Member

Greetings all, I bought a new V7 PS2 yesterday. And I have my old V1 PS2 right beside it which I'm selling tomorrow.

2 issues with the new V7

1. The fan is so loud! Literally 2X the volume of the V1 fan. And kind of whiny too (higher pitched whine sound). It's a litte irritating when watching DVDs which aren't all guns & explosions. Anyone else notice this? My guess is Sony beefed up the fan in the newer versions, hence the extra noise. Kinda sucks though. The V1 fan is muuuuuuch better.

2. King of the Monsters. When I have it sitting at the main menu (actually in the unlock menu) I notice video glitches on the screen every 10 seconds or so. Like a little flicker. Same cables, same TV, same disc (an original) and no glitch on the V1. Neither console is modded. I haven't seen it do it with any other game or while playing King of the Monsters but then I just got it yesterday. But the V1 is fine, even at that same unlock menu. No glitches.

Should I take the sucker back and swap it? (which will be a big pain in the *&%&)

I have to say, I'm starting to miss my V1 already and it hasn't left the house yet. :) I need to act soon before I might say, void my warrentee on the new V7 for some reason ;) so all comments appreciated.

Just wondering if it sounds like a defective unit or if these 2 issues are within "normal" operating parameters.

Thanks for your time,

Justarius

2. PSX

PSX Member

I have 2 playstations v7, but i don't have the playstation v1. So I can not compare them propertly. Anyway, it seems to me the fan is not loud, not that bad like you mention. I think there is a problem with your console fan because if you are watching a movie, & still hearing the sound of the fan, then that fan is really, really loud. You might try to exchange for another one & see if the fan is louder than v1

3. ZRV

ZRV Guest

I have a v7 and my friend has a v1, and I think the v1 is way louder than my PS2. Plus it doesn't work quite as well. stick with the v7 or get a new v7

4. Justarius

Justarius Member

PSX - Thanks, I did exchange it.

Got another brand new V7. Same results. Loud fan, glitches in the same spot in King of Monsters. Got the new one at the same store chain but in a different city (prob not even the same batch) so I'm guessing all V7s must be like that. Maybe the laser is more sensitive to scratches in the V7 hence the glitch and I guess the fan is just stronger and therefore louder.

ZRV - No question it's louder than the V1 though. I have them sitting side by side. When you turn on the V7 you can't even tell the V1 is on because the V7 drowns it out.