1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Video Card?? HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Dec 3, 2007.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

i need to buy a new video card for work. so what specs should i be looking at for the new card? which are the most important and what would good specs be considered for graphics & video editing (with a little 3d & gaming thrown in for good measure)?

Core clock ?
    Memory Clock ?
    Memory Size ?
    Memory Interface Bitrate ?
    Memory Type ?
    DirectX ?
    RAMDAC ?

Thanks in advance!

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well by looking at your sig, you should get new ram first. PC3200 is quite slow these days...

I am not sure whether your mobo is AGP or PCI-e, so can you tell us that? And what is your budget?

If you have PCI-e, then a 3870 from ati will do great, or a 8800GT from nvidia. They're both top of the line cards.

If you have AGP, I would suggest you buy a new board, as AGP cards are not that great. They cost more and offer less performance. (I know, I am stuck with it right now, but not until Chritsmas!)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The RAM is fine, despite lower clock speeds, PC3200 still runs quite happily even with fast CPUs. I agree with Waymon's post about AGP, though. AGP is an old technology now, and if you're going to buy a decent graphics card, you'll want to get one with new technology, meaning something like an HD3870.

4. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

im working with a PCIE card... and my sig reflects my home pc (which is also pcie), but im trying to get a new vid card for my work computer which is an old Dimension 4700. 2 GB of ram 3200 tho which is ultimately the same at home. Anyway, like i said, this card is for work and my budget is around $200 (maybe a LITTLE over would be ok).

what specs SHOULD i be looking at for a minimum? obviously more is better, but with my budget i cant really go there. so, whats a good mem core? ddr3 or is 2 ok? bit size 256 or 128? clock speed? etc.

thanks for the help.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if I'm honest, clock speeds, memory buses and so on are kind of irrelevant figures, it literally boils down to "x is better than y", that's not obvious by the specifications, simply knowledge of the market. If the card is AGP, then try for this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130274
    XFX make a 7900GS for AGP which is even faster, but they're very unreliable so not worth buying.
    Just bear in mind the work PC will need to have a strong power supply before installing a graphics card like this. A standard 300W Dell unit isn't going to cut it.

6. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

the card is PCIE (both at home and work).. the budget is around $200.. the power supply is this

i think ive decided to move my home card (BFG 7600GT OC or my Powercolor x800GT) to my work computer (currently a geforce 6200) and then buy a new one for home.. so, with that said, and the specs of my power supply listed above, what do you think i should look to get? thanks again in advance!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try for a Radeon HD3850. They offer good performance for a very low price. The HD3870 is pretty much king of the hill in that regard, but you'd struggle to find one for close to $200.