1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new warning for updating firmware to 3.1E

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by mrraj, Nov 15, 2007.

1. mrraj

mrraj Member

hello all, i just recieved an email from GWD saying it is not safe to update to the latest firmware 3.1e (PAL)

IMPORTANT WII UPDATE FOR ALL CUSTOMERS
    Please DO NOT update your consoles firmware to version 3.1e online,
    or update from the following games:
    • Wii Sports (newer version with modification disclaimer on the reverse)
    • Legend of Zelda
    • Super Mario Galaxy
    This update will make your Wii not play ANY games at all.
    We suggest Customers DO NOT complete ANY updates until we have more information.
    More details to follow.

i have a PAL wii, i have just updated to this latest firmware i have no modchip yet BUT i am about to install the wiikey, is it safe to do so now after this?

2. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

whos GWD?

3. mrraj

mrraj Member

game world direct

am i allowed to post the link

4. aznsai

aznsai Member

where u get this from???????????

5. deano5t

deano5t Member

I updated my firmware to 3.1E last week and fitted my wiikey 2 days ago and everything works fine. Is 3.1E the latest PAL firmware then as i selected to update earlier and it was going to go ahead but i didnt as i got a warning that it could bugger up my wii.

6. mrraj

mrraj Member

which update did you have earlier?

7. deano5t

deano5t Member

Im not sure which firmware i have updated from but it is currently at 3.1E with a wiikey fitted, but as i said i did the update before fitting it.

8. 5couse

5couse Member

Im using wiikit with 1.9g Pal wii firmware 3.1e no probs apart from a 3 new ones ( donkey kong, spongebob atlantis,dewys adventure) super mario galaxy and resident evil unberella corp work fine

9. mrraj

mrraj Member

dino5t could you provide me with the steps you took? which config disc are you using

10. deano5t

deano5t Member

Im not using any config disc as i only play pal games, but i have done the 1.9b and 1.9g updates.

11. mrraj

mrraj Member

yes i am only going to play PAL games as i do not want to take the risk of NTSC games bricking the wii.

so after i have soldered the chip do not need to load a disc? i can load the backup?

12. mrgsxr

mrgsxr Member

im running 3.1e and 1.9g i have no problems!

13. mrgsxr

mrgsxr Member

it also say`s
    ** Update ** This does not appear to effect all consoles, the below games seems to be for the latest versions available. these contain a message on the back regarding modifications. we will update as we no more. **

14. deano5t

deano5t Member

No you don't need to do the wiikey updates to play older games. If you want to play super mario galaxy, then you just download the iso's for 1.9b and 1.9g from the wiikey site and burn them to DVDs. I used IMGBurn at 1x and both discs worked fine without having to pad them using filechop.

15. kondor

kondor Regular member

hang about, lets post the full article then we can discuss it...
    Now i am not being funny, but it appears to be a UK website selling actual wii's from what i can read.

As someone who lives in the UK, I can promise you that you can not buy a wii in this country at the moment for love nor money. Well, the used price is currently 60% higher than a new one as you can get them for $600 used.

I think we should bear that in mind, and read the full article which ends saying that although they have some wii's (lucky them indeed) they are holding on to them.

Make up your own minds.

16. ward646

ward646 Member

Could this all just be related to 1.9g and they're way wayyyy out of the loop and totally misinformed?

Could it be that they got SMG, updated to 3.1 and then it didn't work because their wiikeys are not 1.9g and then boom 'it must be the firmware!!!'

Who knows what else they put this new prot. onto, because we all have 1.9g now, how would we ever know?!?... Does anyone track that btw? the protected games that is?

17. kondor

kondor Regular member

Well I am sure they would be able to figure that out.

it just seems a tad strange that the only place that seems to have this problem is a place in UK where at the moment a wii is like gold.

18. zardome

zardome Guest

In response to the posting about Game World Direct, In my experience of using them they are nothing short of scam masters.

I place an order in July for a Wii and it's been nothing but excuses from them regarding my order. When I asked them for a refund they told me that I would receive my order soon, which was over 4 weeks ago. Behold no order… On further investigation I discover that I am not the only person not to have received my order. They have ripped off various people for various items.

The problem is they charge your card immediately for anything you order even if they don’t have the stock they only change the stock status at last minute after they have received many orders that they could never hope to supply.

The current state of problems with Wii stock has not been any help or the fact that they are not shipping any of the supposedly Wii stock they have due to the disclaimer of the back of Super Mario Galaxy and other latest games. This is just another of they attempts of hiding the fact they probably don't have any stock of Wii's and are unwilling to make refunds. I also noticed its not just Wii orders they have not sent out from just doing a search on feedback for this company.

I would not recommend ordering anything from them as far as my order is concerned I have had to go to my bank and make a claim to get my money back from them.

19. deathy

deathy Member

Hi, we are not scammers if you have a problem please contact us we will resolve this for you.

for proof of stock and the problem please see below.

** Update - Proof of stock + New wii sports disc causing problems. **

http://gameworlddirect.co.uk/pub/Photo-0006.jpg
    This is the wii sports disc that is causing problems. Its the original that comes with the console.

The following are proof of stock.
    http://gameworlddirect.co.uk/pub/Photo-0008.jpg
    http://gameworlddirect.co.uk/pub/Photo-0009.jpg
    http://gameworlddirect.co.uk/pub/Photo-0010.jpg

20. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

that photo proves nothing

could be 12 months old

could be empty boxes

could be someone elses stockroom

instead of wasting time posting here why not just sort out your complaints and make your customer satisfied