1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New X3 with good HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by MAD88, Oct 6, 2004.

1. MAD88

MAD88 Member

OK, to start off, I'd just like to say I'm a total newb, and also computer incompetent. That being said, I have a few questions about Xbox mods.

[bold]THE SITUATION[/bold]

I recently purchased a Limited Edition Halo Xbox, which I believe to be a version 1.2 (correct?).
    I am now planning on buying an upgrade hard drive (250GB's, or maybe 200GB's) and the new Xecuter 3 modchip (for backup purposes).

I know almost nothing about the way they work, and I need that info so I can tell which programs to download (or whatever it is that's needed). Basically, my only need for the chip and HDD would be to make backups for my games, and that's about it.

[bold]QUESTIONS[/bold]

-Does the X3 come with the needed programs for loading my games onto the hard drive?
    -Will it also come with whatever I'll need to unlock my HDD?
    -What kind of hard drive should I look into buying? (I've read that Western Digital and Seagate are good)
    -And last, are there any other factors I should be looking into?

Well, thanks to any1 who tries to help, and sorry to those who have wasted their time here.

2. MAD88

MAD88 Member

As I said, computer incompetant...
    Does HDD mean hard drive or not? That's what I meant by it.
    Isn't copying games to a hard drive called ripping?
    And isn't unlocking the hard drive called blessing?

Yeah, I'm a loser, but you have to learn the terms somehow.

I know what rpm is, but what's cache?

3. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Don't know anything about the X3 chip, but it's the latest chip so it should be advanced. Maybe someone else can correct me, but I believe the Halo Edition Xbox is 1.6. But I think X3 is compatible with all versions of Xbox though. These are the things you'll need. Once your modchip is installed, you need to flash it with an alternative bios to let your Xbox run unsigned codes. Then you can get Slayer's disc and install the programs off of it. It has all the utilities you'll need to rip games and such. For replacing the HDD, you'll want to check out http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install2.php . Get FlashFXP to do FTP between your Xbox and PC, and you need that to install the new HDD. You have to backup your Xbox's settings via FTP, that's why. Also, if you're behind a router you should use patch cables to connect your Xbox to the router, and your PC to your router. If you're not behind a router, you can use cross-over cables and connect your Xbox straight to your PC. Slayer's should give you your Xbox's IP address along with the locking/unlocking HDD option. Western Digital HDDs are very good in my opinion, I have 2x 250GB's in my box, planning on getting a third one as soon as the second one runs out of space for storage. http://www.newegg.com/ has very good deals on computer stuff.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"I have a sexy accent and make one mean cup of coffee."[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2004