1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New XBL Update should we do it?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by hugo2x, Aug 7, 2007.

1. hugo2x

hugo2x Member

I just started my X360 up and was signing in when it says update. I've checked major nelson's website (majornelson.com) and it says the update is only to make wireless guitars compatible on the X360. If you read the comment section on major's website you'll see
    Xbox 360 System update

"Moments ago, the team released a system update (aka Dash update) to Xbox Live. Over the next few hours, when you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. What’s in this update? The only thing this minor release will do is prepare your Xbox 360 for the wireless guitars that are being released in a few months.
    No new features beyond this wireless support are included in this update. As usual, we’ve got some new features planned for later this year as part of our biannual release cycle.
    Posted: Aug 07 2007, 02:02 AM by Major Nelson | with 11 comment(s) |
    Filed under: Xbox 360, Xbox Live"

"diehardjeremy commented:
    yes and now our box is slower then before the update
    security update????"

spaz commented:
    "actually my disc drive runs quieter/slower since the update ill have to play more to truely tell anyone else notice this?"

tozOL commented:
    "mmm
    nice one.....
    does not show my game now on the tray display, of what disc is in the xbox
    anybody else??
    August 7, 2007 3:16 AM [Direct Link]

MightyHealthy commented:
    "tozOL: same here. the update has caused the feature to stop working."

So it seems once again that they dont tell you everything! M$ has been known to release security builds with updates and not tell a thing. You may be able to still have XBL after this update, but what if this update allows them to detect and Log any mischievous information thats on our console, then when the time is right strike down on people. Hmm?

2. jelle2503

jelle2503 Regular member

those quotes, cannot be trusted. the game name will still show up, neither is the drive more quieter..

it has been mentioned though, that XBL signs you in before the dashboard appears? anyone can confirm this?

if so it's not "just" an update to have wireless guitars work on the 360

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  3. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

I just did the update and it does in FACT not show what game is in the drive ALSO it takes a while to start up(it stays on the Xbox 360 screen for to long)
    Edit:I just turned it off and restarted it and everything work fine.The game shows up and it has a normal start up.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. hugo2x

hugo2x Member

It's clearly not for Wireless Guitars because that would be on the disc otherwise none LIVE users wouldn't be able to use wireless guitars.

So what was it? Whatever it is, it seems to have broken my friends VGA cable, it also seems to have changed the boot up sequence and lot of other wierd fishy stuff

5. redrob2

redrob2 Member

Here is an odd one. I always play my friend in NHL 07 on LIVE. I'm modded, he isn't and we both updated tonight. We've never had problems and he locks up after only a couple minutes of play and has to restart ... this happened like 5 times. Not sure if this is just a coincidence or not. Just odd it happened right after the update and we were fine playing last night.

6. DAMANAMS

DAMANAMS Regular member

so do we do the update or not?

7. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

i did and im not modded.but my disc drive is more quiet then it was.and it was kinda slow at bootup so im guessing its a security patch and some bug fixes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  8. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

Updated my ixtreme 1.2c Samsung MS28 and haven't had any problems connecting to Live. Right after the update was applied, 360 logo and the "open tray" message came up but hasn't since. Boot times also went back to normal after the 1st initial reboot.

I'd update. You will eventually anyway, and if it does contain ingredients to BanHammer Part II, then we won't know about it for sometime anyway.

9. DAMANAMS

DAMANAMS Regular member

anyone updated and been banned yet?

10. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

None that I've heard of.

11. hugo2x

hugo2x Member

I'm not it sounds to fishy. I mean why would you have a random wireless guitar update when there not going to be released till late fall. Also read my previous post about nonlive users above. And this quiet drive makes me worried too. It sounds like to me that M$ is creating another banhammer. My friend who had the halo 3 beta was playing the beta with a backup of crackdown, but after about a week he got banned. This goes to show M$ likes to wait until they can get a list of consoles using backups, then when the time is right they ban a huge chunk of modders.

So, as a word of advice I wouldn't update till you get some more information about this.

12. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I held off updating last night. It seemed quite a few people 360s bricked after the update. Today live was down for a little while and people could update even if they wanted to. Maybe they fixed whatever was wrong. Anyway I updated and it today and it went fine. I wanted to DL the Stranglehold demo so I had to update.

13. acidsmile

acidsmile Guest

would it not be possible to use something like a net traffic listener to "listen in" when the update is being applied (ie. if using a router) to grab the data as it passes, and rev-engineer it from there to see what on earth its truely updating?

14. yesser

yesser Guest

i updated and no proplem

15. acidsmile

acidsmile Guest

that didnt answer anything. You win most pointless comment of the day! lol

Banhammer has little to do with updates (it seems) but due to md5, mdi and pfi checks on disk.

16. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

hmm maybe it's some updates for the upcoming games. Idk if I get banned I'm just going to say something with the internet on its messed up to walmart. I have a warranty.

edit* from multiple reliable sources, and testers it's confirmed ok to update.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  17. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

just incase anyone is still wondering its 100% safe...

unless they plan to backstab you on halo 3 release date.

18. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

Ya I got the latest hitachi fw, and I updated and played rainbow 6 vegas all night fine. I think we'll see an update a little before halo 3. I'd be a little worried, unless this one is it, and they're saving it for later. I'm just play it safe on the halo 3 launch week.