1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Xbox - wierd drive noises

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by evilgit, Jan 30, 2005.

1. evilgit

evilgit Member

Hey,

I just got a new XBOX (woot!) but am hearing wierd noises from the drive. I don't know what type of drive it is, but whenever there is no disc (boot to dashboard)it makes these grating noises like its looking for a disc to see what it should boot to. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

hi
    the dvd drive or hard drive?
    To be honest, having modded TONS of xbox, I can say that a lot of the philips drives make weird whirring noises (its actually the laser sliding on the tracks)
    when booting up.
    If its doing that, its kinda normal (especially on a philips drive)
    if its the hard drive, unfortunately, not all hard drives are created equal:) (as they say in the usa, << brit in the US btw) some are noisy, some arent.
    If it boots to dash fast enough, and doesnt make the noise during gameplay or gameloading, and loads games quick enough, it should be fine, just noisy.

3. evilgit

evilgit Member

Thanks so much for the reassurance!

I think it is the Drive, and I reckon its a Philips one. I talked to some friends who have the drive which runs burned dvds and cds (the lucky f***s). It must be the drive because it only happens when:

1 You boot the Xbox (its probably searching for a disc to see what to boot to - dash/game)
    2 You close the tray

In all these instances it makes sense for the drive to be searching for a disc. I don't think its the hard drive. And it doesn't make any noise during gameplay.

What exactly did you say the problem was though? The laser spinnning on the tracks makes little sense to me as I have never examined a disc drive. Does it mean the laser will get worn down quickly? - not something I want as I've had bad experiences with the PS2's DREs.

I sort of can't excahnge it because the store has run out of XBoxes and I promised some friends to play in a massive battle on Halo 2. I suppose if anything goes majorly wrong I can have it serviced by Microsoft as I have warranty (does anyone know if this costs money for shipping?).

Finally, I'd like to say something as a converted PS2 to XBOX fan. I loved the PS2 to bits (literally until it broke). It was easy to mod (HDD), looked cool, and the controller rocked. But that was it. I used to make fun of 'that big black box' until this saturday when I bought one for myself (Halo 2 was just too tempting). IT IS MILES BETTER THAN THE PS2. Loading speeds, hard drive, graphics, ease of use, power, LIVE, and anything else you may care to add (bar looks - but ever heard of case-modding?) would own a PS2 anyday. I really wish I had discovered it earlier, and to any PS2 Fanboy out there - [bold]you know you're right, until you know that you're wrong, and you know you're wrong when you sit infront of an XBox.[/bold]

(I'm a brit in britain!)

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Yeah that's totally normal because the Xbox is designed to check the disc drive to see if a disc is booting up (so it can automatically boot the game)