1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie asks for help, BIG problems.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jedrak, May 22, 2004.

1. Jedrak

Jedrak Member

First of all I would like to beg for help. My problem is really driving me nuts !!!

I bought a miniDV camera in the US, but I live in Europe. I knew that US uses the NTSC system, but as I download movies onto my computer through firewire, I thought that this is not a problem. Here is my story...

When I record and playback movies on the LCD of my camera everything is OK. The aspect ratio of the movie is OK and even the LCD on the camera measures 60x45mm which EXACTLY equals the aspect ratio 4:3.

But when I transfer the movies through firewire (using either Pinnacle Studio 8 or Premiere 6.5) I get files with a resolution of 720x480. While viewing them on the computer the image is wider than it should be (my fiancee looks fat :-(). But when I go to full-screen, the proper proportions are restored. To make matters worse, some players don't adjust the aspect ratio even in full-screen.

Another thing is that when I use TMPGEnc. to change the resolution from 720x480 to 720x576 (and from 29.97fps to 25fps), the output file misses some frames and therefore skips. Such a situation happens every two or three seconds: two frames, instead of being different from each other, are duplicated, and the observer gets the illusion of momentary stopping and skipping. I've spent the last 5 days trying to figure this out in TMPGEnc. but no matter what bitrate and other settings I apply, the output file skips, lacks smooth motion.

What are my goals?

I simply need a program that would let me convert 18GB avi files (raw camera downloads) to mpg files rougly 3GB per hour in size. I use LP mode on the camera and would like to get 90mins on a DVD.

When I try to convert to MPEG, the following happens:
    - Studio 8 takes 12 hours to convert 60 minutes of video and sometime crashes. Imagine yourself waiting one whole day for a movie to complete and it crashes eventually.
    - TMPGEnc. makes my movies skip
    - Premiere is too complicated and also takes ages to convert.

I use a P4 1,8Ghz computer

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Mike,

This question should have been posted in the camcorder forum, so you may want to take a look there as well.

Take a look at this program and see if it can work for you. Cucusoft AVI to DVD VCD SVCD MPG converter pro.

I have it and it seems to work fine for converting my .avi files, adjusting the aspect ratios, bitrate etc.

http://www.cucusoft.com/

3. whassup

whassup Regular member

Have you tried Canopus ProCoder? It is an excellent encoder that does things perfectly that some other encoders can't do.