1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE at this please help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by John93950, Jan 22, 2005.

1. John93950

John93950 Member

Im trying to copy my DVD collection and PS2 collection I got the basic concepts of how to do it. Im using Nero 6 and first I make an image then burn it right?

anyways the problem im having is getting past the imaging with the dvd's. It reads them and it starts to make thew image but then it says "Please insert the original disc" I think its because of the copyright protection. Can anybody guide me through it... and the problem im having with the PS2 games is it wont even recognize it in nero. Thanks for the help

2. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD Decrypter and Alcohol 120 are good to rip and burn the games. Decrypter is free. A friend says he burns at 1X to insure a good burn. He has a modchip, so he doesn't have to mess with the loader systems.

Since the Newbie info is large, I'll put it in a separate post. After you read it, then ask what you need to know.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

4. John93950

John93950 Member

thanks for the info ill just fiddle around with it. One more question thoough. Is there anyway I can copy games with nero? If so how?

5. John93950

John93950 Member

sorry but it says there's an error when it try's to extract the files. anyway I can get around that or is it just the dvd

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  7. John93950

John93950 Member

8. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. If you need any suggestions on retail recording software to back up your movie collection just ask. If you have the Nero 6 Ultra with the Recode 2, then you already have a good suite.