1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Audio questions..The Basics

Discussion in 'Audio' started by insideout, Nov 11, 2003.

1. insideout

insideout Guest

I have a CD that was provided to me with audio auditions for a voiceover. I put the Cd in the CD drive on my computer but nothing played. What's the difference between a CD that plays in your computer vs.the cd player in for instance, a stereo?

Would the files need to be Mp3 in order to extract them from the CD and forward them on email? What other types of files can I expect? For example, if a talent provides me with an audition CD. How do I tell what I've got? What's the differnece?

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

If this CD works in standalone CD players, there are 2 possibilities:

1. Your PC's CD drive isn't connected with your soundcard or CD input in Windows Mixer is muted. To check this: Does playback work with other audio CDs? Yes -> Go to 2.; No: Double click on the speaker in taskbar and increase volume/un-mute CD input.

2. The CD is copy protected. To check: If you look at the CD's content with Windows Explorer, what do you see?

Some software audio players read audio data digitally without using a cable CD drive -> soundcard. You could try one of those, e.g. foobar2000: http://www.foobar2000.org

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but audio CDs (without copy protection) should play in PCs without problem.

Mp3 is one of many formats used to reduce size of audio data. The higher the compression ratio you choose, the worse the audio quality you get. Many email programs have an attatchment size limit of 2 MB. To fit a 3.5 minutes song into 2 MB mp3 bitrate would be ~ 70-80kbps, a bitrate where quality suffers too much for my taste.

You would need to use a seperate program to split files and send several emails or use another compression format like Ogg Vorbis.

There are several compression formats. One easy possibility would be installing dbPowerAmp Music Convertor. After installation, you'll get pop-up information about all common audio file types when moving the mouse over a file in windows explorer. It can also convert all these file types to PCM (.wav), the uncompressed standard audio file type of Windows OS'es which can be played back by all audio players. Other players that can play back a wide variety of audio files:
    Winamp (input plugins for virtually all audio formats available, but many need to be found and downloaded seperately)
    foobar2000 (all common file types are supported "out-of-the-box")
    NeroMix /NeroMediaPlayer, parts of Nero Burning Rom. Plugins for all common audio file types (if not included) are available here: http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org

3. jaradiom

jaradiom Member

i am having a problem and im not sure where to ask about it so i might as well ask about it here. I have many .avi dvdrip movies on my computer. Not thinking when i downloaded them i only downloaded ones that were not spilt up into 2 pieces. I know need to burn these to cd to conserve space on my hd i have tried to use VirtualDub 1.5 but when i import the movie it says this "VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 22123 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate:134 (then it shows this little mark thing that looks kinda like a sideways H with the middle extended) 19.1 kbps)" I you could help me with this at all i would greatly apperciate it. thanks u can also get in contact with me by emailing xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

jaradiom, this should be posted in a video-related forum, not here.
    Anyway, .avi format is CBR only, for using VBR 'dirty' hacks are required resulting in sync problems etc. To avoid re-encoding you can try
    - VirtualDubMod
    - Nandub (?)
    - Extract the mp3 stream to a (mp3) file (direct stream copy) and use e.g. Mp3DirectCut for splitting it, than mux the parts to the (split) video.