1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie burning failed at 4x(5540Kb/s

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mcdm, Nov 17, 2004.

1. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi
    I am new to DVD burning;I am using the Nero OEM suite. I have shrunk a movie but apparently it didn't need it so I saved it to my hard drive, can anyone tell me why I cannot burn a dvd I keep getting this message burning failed at 4x(5540Kb/s
    The last time it failed I saved a log but I don’t understand it.
    I am not being lazy and this question may have been asked before but I can't find it in the forum
    Any ideas? Or help greatly welcome
    mcdm

2. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

When your burning with nero, do you use nero rom or nerovision express? If with rom then cancel the popup window you get on booting nero rom, click on recorder>burn image, find the file you want to burn and then click on burn, that should do it.

3. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Mr ROD Thanks for the avice I am using nero rom. I am a bit confused how do I cancel the pop up window?
    regards mcdm

4. colw

colw Active member

If you are using an OEM version of Nero, it is likely that the burning DVD function will be disabled.

You can download a fully working trail version of Nero from their website.

5. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

to clear the popup window just click the X top right of the popup window, then click on recorder and then burn image.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]When your burning with Nero, do you use Nero rom or nerovision express?[/bold]

MrRod,

I believe you mean Nero Express.

NeroVisionExpress(NVE)is a file conversion and menu authoring app, which tho you can burn from it, you wouldn't want to unless you were doing the aforementioned :>)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mcdm,

I agree with colw, you need to use the full trial version 6.6 which is free for the entire month each and every month, but must be reinstalled every month.

Don't forget to load and install the update packs 1-6 with the exception of pack #3, InCD, a packet writing app that has been known to interfere with DVd software.

The trial will not function properly without them :>)

8. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Thanks to everybody’s help I am using Nero 6 smart start
    I have tried to burn again but I am still having problems. I tried burning straight to Nero from decrypter with some discs (not sure if I can name them) and it failed again
    I managed to get hold of a dvd re writable and using decrypter it started to burn but then at 50% it failed. At least I seem to be making some progress
    I have burner installed that came with windows xp also pinnacle. Maybe there is a conflict or maybe it’s just me.
    One other thing I tried to erase the dvd using Nero and my computer froze even control alt delete would not help I had to pull the plug to restart the computer
    I am going to try again tonight and over the weekend I will let you know how I get on
    mcdm

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I tried burning straight to Nero from decrypter with some discs (not sure if I can name them) and it failed again

????????

mcdm,

Let me explain a couple of things.

There are 4 things you do to backup a DVD. Rip, edit/re-author, compress, burn. This is what each app will do(i'm throwing shrink in the mix too, since it's free also):

1-shrink rips, edits/re-authors, and compresses.

2-decrypter rips and burns,

3-Nero will edit/re-author, compress, and burn.

Do you see now, you need a combo of 2 apps to do the work.

Only a combo of two is needed. there is no need to use all three apps, unless shrink can't rip the file, then go to decrypter because it's a better ripper. Or, if you use Nero, since it can't rip, you use decrypter for that and then recode from there on out. It is still only a combo of two.

Use decrypter to rip in file mode in all the above cases. The only time you need decrypter in ISO mode is if you use it to rip and burn because it can only burn ISO files(and the movie must be under 4.37 gigs).

Is this starting to make sense now?

Unless your DVD is under 4.37 gigs you can't rip and burn with decrypter and since decrypter burns there is no need to use nero for that, but nero does need decrypter to rip the files for it.

Since you have nero let's do this.

1st, rip the DVD with decrypter to your hard drive.

Then follow these steps with Nero Recode:

1-open Nero startsmart

2-open recode

3-click on copy entire dvd to dvd, then click dvd-files

4-click on import dvd, when window pops up choose your drive with the movie you just ripped with decrypter.

5- wait 1-2 min. for nero to analyze

6-you will now have a screen divided up into 3 categories, menu,main movie,extras,sometimes there might be a 4th called unreferenced material.

7-if you wish to re-author/edit, that is take anything out to reduce compression to improve pic quality, here is where you do it, click on extras, then click on the + mark. Leave menu and main movie alone,(I repeat, leave these 2 ALONE)

7a- The one exception to leaving the movie alone is if there are 2 versions, full and widescreen. I would then disable the one of your choice and leave the other one alone.

8-click on each title in extras(after you hit the + mark) and preview it with your slider in the preview window, you can then disable each one upon which nero will ask you to substitute a still image, say yes. Or you can raise compression on each title thereby lowering compression on the movie, if you want to keep that special feature. You can eliminate all extras by disabling them all at once and not hitting the + mark, same goes for compression, you can raise all compression on extras at once, thus raising quality of movie by lowering it's compression.

8a-when you are done click next, and choose a temporary destination folder for nero to work out of. I would create a folder and place it where you can find it if need be.

9-check advanced analysis AND burn at once AND high quality mode,especially for large amounts of compression. I only use high quality mode for compression amts. of over 10%, the choice is up to you.

10-choose your burner as it's destination

11-click burn and wait 45 minutes to 1-1/2 hrs., depending on what quality settings you used. Have a drink or two, do NOT do anything else on your PC, I mean NOTHING!

12-please play your movie and enjoy.

Good luck.....let us know how it goes, be sure to use a RW til you get it down pat :>)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  10. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Thanks for the info bigorange but unfortunatly i cannot find let alone open nero recode. when i open nero i click on the dvd tab and choose burn dvd video files is this right so far? a single screen open with the option of adding audio ts and video ts files, i click add and retrieve the files i want from my hardrive click next and it opens the final burn window
    i set the recorder then writing speed to 1x number of copies to 1 then burn.
    it will fail and now it is saying calibration error
    any ideas?
    thanks in advance mcdm

11. plywood9

plywood9 Guest

hello bigorange.......

just happen to run across all this. do you know about
    the nero 6 OEM version disk.....

i've been told the OEM version will only work with the burner it came with?

do you know if this is true or not??

thanks

PLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

12. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Not true.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

plywood9, Agree with flip, not true :>)

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mcdm,

You are opening burn express it sounds like and an older version at that. The newer version of Nero Express now, just has the window without the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

This is a burning engine and will not compress or edit, etc. All the work has to be done no matter what app you use before you can put the finished files in Burn express. You need to use recode 1st, then it will burn using the nero burn engine.

You want Nero Ultra 6.6. You have startsmart, right? I thought that is what you said you had. If you have a paid version of nero(probably 6.3) go to the Nero homepage and upgrade to Ultra 6.6. You should have a list of programs to your left in startsmart, you can expand the list clicking on the little blue circle with >> in it. Recode is near the bottom. If you don't have this you haven't D/L'd and installed your packs.

6.6 update is free for nero owners. If you don't own it and were using a trial version you can still get it and use it for free each and every month. It must be re-installed at the beginning of each month, then you are good to go for that entire month. Reinstall the next month and so on and so on til you decide to buy(which I HIGHLY recommend).

Also you must download and install all 6 update packs to get all the programs and to have them work properly, maybe this is what you didn't do. Do not load pack #3, it causes problems with DVD software and you don't need it(it's packet writing software).

Here is the addy for Nero ultra 6.6 and the update packs for owners(do not D/L #3):

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero-up.php

here is the packs for trial users, load and install ALL 3:

http://www.ahead.de/us/neroue-prog.php

Let me know what happens, we'll stick with it til you get it going :>)

15. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi bigorange
    Sorry for the late reply but at last I have had some success
    I have downloaded and installed the recommended updates I still cannot find recode but decided to use shrink and nero to copy a dvd
    Luckily the size was less than 4.7 gig
    After numerous failures (calibration error)
    Also I got a dialog box saying, “virtual memory problem windows is attempting to solve this”
    Anyway I finally got it to burn a dvd unfortunately it won't play on anything.
    So after using the guides I have realised that after I saved the files to my hard drive I didn't change the settings to "write" I just burnt it as it was.
    The calibration error problem is I keep getting Burn failed calibration error I have found some information that would suggest that this has something to do with the discs I am using
    My next step is to buy some different discs and try again I will get some rw discs as soon as possible
    Any more suggestions or info will be greatly appreciated
    I hope this is not too much of an epic but maybe it will help somebody else as well
    Thanks for you help

16. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I have downloaded and installed the recommended updates I still cannot find recode

I don't know what you're doing but the update packs will DEFINITELY give you Recode.

Luckily the size was less than 4.7 gig

That shouldn't even matter, that's what Shrink does, it reduces, or "shrinks" the video to fit. Recode also works the same.

Also I got a dialog box saying, “virtual memory problem windows is attempting to solve this

Sounds like you are out of room. How much RAM do you have and what is your hard drive available space? Also, are you using FAT 32 or NTFS?

So after using the guides I have realised that after I saved the files to my hard drive I didn't change the settings to "write" I just burnt it as it was.

I have no idea what you are doing now, it sounds like you are trying to burn using decrypter in ISO mode. If you wrote to your hard drive all you do is open Nero Express, choose DVD video files, and "add" those files and choose your burner as your destination. Shrink automatically burns with Nero so if you are using that as you say, you don't even need to open it.
    In either case there is no "write" button.

Here is a simple shrink guide I wrote, check it against what you are doing. It shows how to auto burn with nero or decrypter without ever having to open either app.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=Shrink;action=display;num=1094746394

You say you are using shrink with nero, but your posts suggest you are trying to rip and burn using decrypter. The "write" button, the size being under 4.7, these are all decrypter features. I am now totally befuddled by what you are doing.

You are going to have to tell me step by step what you are doing because I'm thinking you are way off track at this point.

17. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

if you use nerovision express to burn it'll resize the file automaticaly to fit on 4.7 gig dvd.

18. bigorange

bigorange Active member

if you use nerovision express to burn it'll resize the file automaticaly to fit on 4.7 gig dvd.

Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately it doesn't do a very good job with larger amts. of compression. In that case it is better to have NVE write to your hard drive and then use an app like recode or shrink, etc. that are designed for maintaining quality with large amts. of compression with the files from NVE.

NVE is an excellent authoring app, but that's what it is, an authoring app. It is not an app really designed for compressing video files too large for DVD 5, tho it does have an edge on most other authoring programs in that it will compress which makes it handy for small amts.

I find a good rule of thumb is if it's over 10-15% compression then use another app to compress and burn to disc :>)

19. MrRod

MrRod Regular member

How about using VSO's DivxToDvd and CopyToDvd programs? i use those for a quick burn.

How can we determin what the compression rate will be with programs like shrink, nero and others?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  20. mcdm

mcdm Guest

Hi bigorange yes you’re right I was using decrypter
    I seem to have seriously lost the plot
    FAT 32 or NTFS? I will try to check this out but I’m not sure how to, but I know I have approx 70 gig of hard drive space
    One thing has struck me as odd and that is usually when you download a file or add new software to a computer , a dialog box comes up with you have to restart your computer this has never happened.
    Tonight I will list in order what shows up on the monitor when I open Nero and post the results.
    It seems I am just getting more and more confused I will follow your guide to the letter and let you know how I get
    Thanks for sticking with this
    Best regards mcdm