1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWBIE DIRECTIONS for Memory Card Exploit

Discussion in 'PS2' started by vonoven, Jan 11, 2005.

1. vonoven

vonoven Member

I follwed L-Burna's directions here, but found them just a little confusing:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/109289

I have a Fliptop PS2 using Swap Magic 3.3 to load the information on the CD-R I created. As long as (you know how to/ have a way to) boot CD-R's then you are fine.

Tools Needed: DOWNLOAD ALL FIRST

WINrar (best to extract files)
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

PS2cdgen (you can grab it from the mcexploit2 download)

Files you need from Keylauncher: http://www.siirlabs.com/ps2dev/kl/release/ps2-keylauncher-0.2+-image_USA.rar

MCexploit2 (to make your TITLE.DB and to have CDGENPS2)http://www.exploitstation.com/downloadnow.php?cat=downloads_2&file=20

PS2Menu: (this will eventually be your BOOT.ELF file)
    http://www.ps2dev.org/files/ps2menu.zip

Alcohol 120% (if you don't have it grab it here)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/alcohol120.cfm

Daemon Tools (so you can mount the Image and grab the files)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm

MUST HAVE A PSX(Playstation One) game, you'll be grabbing the SLUS file from it (this is your trigger disc)

Steps in Succeeding with the Independence Memory Card Exploit: (ALL CREDIT GOES TO L-BURNA, I'm just making it a little more newbie friendly)

1.After you downloaded KeyLauncher you need to right click on the Daemon Tools icon in your icon bar, then select Virtual Drive, "the drive itself", then Mount Image to that drive. After you do that, double-click on my computer and you will have a new drive that says "KL". Open that up and minimize it!

2.You have to make a TITLE.DB (disregard the one from KeyLauncher). Before you do anything, let's grab the SLUS number off your Playstation One game. I am using Asteroids.(CREDIT FOR THIS GOES TO AzNPuLSe)
    A. grab the PSX disc that you'll be using to boot your exploits with.
    B. goto My Computer and right click on the cd-rom drive that the PSX Disc is in and click on Open.
    C. this should open up all the contents of the disc. Once your in there, copy and paste the filename "SYSTEM" from the psx disc to your desktop.
    D. run the notepad application and select Open from the File menu.
    E. select All File Types and open the filename "SYSTEM" that you you copied to your desktop.
    F. the first line is the only information you need. it should be something close to this. BOOT=cdrom:\SLUS_007.73;1 All you need is the SLUS_007.73 part of that line. Yours should be different, assuming that your not using the same game as me.
    G. Write that CODE (SLUS_007.73) down and you should be finished with the this first part. =)

3. Now that you have the SLUS # let's create your TITLE.DB file (CREDIT FOR THIS GOES TO AzNPuLSe)

A. Open the mcexploit2 you downloaded from above
    B. extract it to C:\MC (since it's easier when using Command Prompt)
    C. goto the start menu and click run...
    D. type in cmd and click ok
    E. the Command Prompt should open and enter the command "cd c:\mc" (without quotations) and hit enter.
    F. now type in "titleman -a {the code you wrote down}" (dont type the quote or brackets.)
    example: titleman -a SLUS_007.73
    G. hit enter and it will scroll a bit of information and at the end it should say "Adding 'SLUS_007.73' to TITLE.DB...done." or close to what you put down as your code. Now your finished with that. Good job!

4.Now if you have these Items then you are ready to place them in the CDGENPS2 program: I recommend opening the KL (keylauncher) and CDGENPS2 windows, then right-clicking on your bottom bar and hitting TILE WINDOWS VERTICALLY (this will help it make it easier to drag and drop) After you have that ready, then start dragging these files into CDGENPS2 in this exact order:

/CDVD.IRX (from KeyLauncher)

/EXPINST.ELF (from KeyLauncher)

/SYSTEM.CNF (from KeyLauncher) **After it is in CDGENPS2 you must right click SYSTEM.CNF and hit EDIT. Then click Fix LBA and type in 12231.

/TITLE.DB (This is from the mcexploit2 download that we added YOUR SLUS file too, so it is under c:\mc

NOW in CDGENPS2 it should have a button on the left of the program that says New and has a picture of a folder.Click on it and name it FILES. Then double click the New FILES folder to enter its directory.

Now open the FILES folder from the KL (KeyLauncher download):

Copy these files in the exact order:

/FILES/KL.DAT (KeyLauncher download)This file should be the first to go into the FILES folder.

/FILES/BOOT.ELF (DO NOT GRAB THE BOOT.ELF OUT OF THE KeyLauncher download) Instead open the PS2MENU download and DRAG PSMENU.ELF into the FILES folder in CDGENPS2. Then right-click on PSMENU.ELF and rename it BOOT.ELF

/FILES/CSL.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/CDLOADER.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/HDADVANCE.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/HDLOADER.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/MCFORMAT.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/Files/MCLOADER.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2LINK.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2LOAD.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2MEDIA.ELF (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/IPCONFIG.DAT (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/IOMANX.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2DEV9.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2IP.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2LINK.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/PS2SMAP.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/UNRAR.IRX (KeyLauncher download)

/FILES/SYSTEM.CNF (Grab this from the KL (KeyLauncher download main directory) you DO NOT need to edit it this time)

Alright these files are to make all the Applications work. An .ELF file is basically an Execution File.

Make another New Folder in CDGENPS2 and label it DUMMY. Then double click the DUMMY folder you created to navigate to its directory. Then open the DUMMY folder from KL (KeyLauncher download)and drag the DUMMY file into the new folder in CDGENPS2 that you just created.

Create the .BIN and .CUE

To create the .bin and .cue click in CDGENPS2 program at the top where it says File and scroll down to where it says Create CD.Click on it and it will build you the .bin and the .cue file which you can burn with Alcohol 120%. Name the file whatever you want and place in on your desktop. (that should be the default path)

5.Now open Alcohol 120% and place a blank CD-R in your CD-RW burner. On the left bar select IMAGE BURN and then click browse and find the .cue file you just created. Click on it and then hit, Next, Next , and Next until it is done burning.

Now you should wait for your disc to burn and if successfull we will launch the exploit using the Swap Magic 3.3 CD or a modchip whatever way you use to boot your discs.

6. After its burned put it back in your CD-ROM to see its contents. If you see all the files, then you burned it correctly and can move on. If you see a .bin and .cue, then you just burned the files and not the image (this is your first coaster (wasted CD-R) and you need to burn it as an Image next time). Start over :)

7. Take your Swap Magic 3.3 CD (not the DVD, THE CD) Swap Magic comes with two discs, one for CD's and one for DVD's. If you are booting a CD-R, then you need to use the SMD CD (Swap Magic Disc CD).

8. After it tells you to Load Program, then swap out the SMD and put it the CD-R Memory Exploit you just created.

9. If this works you will see something that looks like a command prompt screen installing the files and then it will say COMPLETE.

10. After it says, COMPLETE reset the PS2 and then put in your PSX (Playstation One game). It should boot to a PS2Menu. This is where you can access all your programs (like a "C" drive) Hit SELECT to view commands.

11. To get into the programs such as: HDLOADER, you will need to scroll down and "X" on BADATA-SYSTEM (this is where all the programs are) then find the .ELF (HDLOADER.ELF) and hit "X".

12. If you get in the wrong directory it is like command prompt, so just click "dir.." to go back one.

13. If you are using this with a HD (Hard Drive), then check out this list to make sure it is compatible first: http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

Let me know if there is anything else that needs to be stated. Maybe something that confused you by following these directions and then we can re-word them, to make them even better!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  2. Shakotah

Shakotah Regular member

This aint really a reply into mis-step or confusion on instructions, but i am confused on what does the memorycard exploit do. And can it copy the saved game on the memorycard and transfer them onto a PS2 HDD?

3. marujuju

marujuju Member

Haha I had same question, from what I read it can be used to run roms or something? Any one feel like telling me what it really does?

4. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

[bold]PlayStation2 Independence day[/bold]
    The PS1DRV Hack
    Heres what you need to know:
    The exploit allows anyone with a memory card and a valid PS1 disc to hi-jack the boot process and run any piece of code on there PS2. Absolutely no modification to your system is necessary to run programs using the exploit (my PS2 is not moddded and I can run any program I want eg cdloader, hdloader,.s-s, pgen all from the memory card using a PS1 disc).
    All you really need to do is find a way to send the files to the memory card to enable the exploit. A boot disc like Swap magic or Action replay should do it. You can also use the original hdloader cd to install the exploit.

hope that clears things up.

Since this is a n00bie guide, I suggest you guys use titlemanfrontend or title.db maker for adding IDs to the title.db instead of command prompt!
    title.db maker is much easier for adding IDs:

like titleman frontend this app will put your id's into a title.db,but the difference is that this will actually read the id number from your psx disc!

Get them here:
    http://www.exploitstation.com/downloads.php?cat=1&PHPSESSID=a813073b37e5a5623ad6b7715df96266

you may want to edit step3 of your guide vonoven.

Laters peeps
    Jonjack

5. vonoven

vonoven Member

Sweet thanks for helping jon. Also what is CDLOADER for? I haven't used it yet. Just HDLOADER!

6. Shakotah

Shakotah Regular member

Well, still didnt answer my question, can it be used to transfer saved games from memory card to the ps2 hdd? and if it can, just tell me how or another way of transfering saved games

7. lilp325

lilp325 Member

I put the memory card exploit on my memory card.
    My psx disc boots to a audio cd. Can someone please help me. I have some stuff saved on my memory card.When I take my ps2 memory card out the game boots fine. I used monopoly as my psx disc.

8. bigmac102

bigmac102 Member

can i use a ps2 game instead of a ps one game?

9. bigmac102

bigmac102 Member

k nevermind it says that i MUST have one i should of read it sorry about that

10. bigmac102

bigmac102 Member

k now i need to know..does ANY ps one game? or do i need a certain one

11. Drifty

Drifty Member

can I run Swap magic straight off the memory card??

12. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

@Shakotah.

To answer your other question.. yes it can be used to do that, but why do you want to put game-saves on the HD? You wont be able to load saves from the HD you know.

@vonoven

CDLOADER is used to boot backups!
    Its used in conjuction with AR2 or the old SMDs to boot tricky games like Pandora Tomorrow.
    You have the new SMDs which already have cdloader built in so you dont need to worry about it.

13. Shakotah

Shakotah Regular member

I know that there was a risk of not being able to load from HDD, but i wanted to save some money from buying more memorycards by storing some saved files somewhere else, such as the HDD. Now i know its possible, care to tell me how to get it to the hdd and viceversa after i done the memorycard exploit?

14. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

To copy saves to HDD:
    using ps2menu, go into MC, highlight the save you want to copy and press start >adv.copy.

Ive already got max evo for tranfering saves so I dont use this ps2menu method. If you really want to store more saves I recommend you get max evo which allows you to store all your saves to a usb pendrive.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  15. vonoven

vonoven Member

thanks!

16. bigmac102

bigmac102 Member

i made that exploit CD but as soon as it gets to the PS2Media.elf file it says error copying PS2Media.elf,
    why does this happen i made 2 cds but it still does that? help!

17. rixamix

rixamix Member

i tryed this too but ps2 says to me: error reading DUMMY file... =)

18. Masazero

Masazero Member

help dude i did all this step by step and it installed but when i use my ps1 game it dont boot to menu just loads game help

19. bigmac102

bigmac102 Member

u probly didnt enter the SLUS/SCUS code when u were supposed to

20. Bouji

Bouji Member

Hi, I am interested in trying the exploit i found on booting from USB. I have my own copy of HDLoader PAL (I Live In Australia), but it refuses to boot (the PS2 DVD-Drive hates it for some reason). I have all the files i need, and am getting the correct Action Replay to do the trick. Except for one thing. What are .ELF files? And how do i make one of my HDLoader DVD? If someone could post about how to make an ELF of it (or whatever i'll need) I would be very grateful. Thanx.