1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie DVD burning problems.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nastyandy, Jan 16, 2005.

1. nastyandy

nastyandy Member

I've just started to try and back up some DVD videos.
    The first one I did was using DVD shrink and refering to the guide here. All went well.

The second one was a dvd-5 disk and it had copyright protection that the dvd shrink couldn't cope with, so I downloaded and used the DVD Decrypter programe, it seemed to be doing the job,unfortunately the main video file ends up as an "Easy CD Creator Image File". I suspect this file is useless to me and I've already got plenty of coasters so I didn't try to burn it.

A little dig around the forum here and I get the impression that I need to remove Roxio from my system. I already have Nero but it's pre-loaded. From what I have read I need to remove this too and install a fresh copy of Nero. Once I've done this I'm assuming I'll see the right file type and be able to burn it no bother. Have I got this right?

Finally can copy protected DVD-9 be backed up by using DVD Decrypter followed by DVD shrink?

Also I notice there are issues concerning media. The media I have is branded 'eproformance' for DVD-R and Memorex DVD-RAM for TV recording. Is the eproformance OK and should I buy say Panasonic DVD-RAM in the future rather than Memorex?

Any help very much appreciated. Thank-you.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Try just removing the Roxio first. Sometimes, you need to use the Roxio Zap to get rid of all the remnants. Then see if it works. You may not have to redo the Nero.

The media you mention is an unknown. You're better off with a known brand with a good reputation.

Decrypter can rip a DVD9 and Shrink is set up to work with dual layer media. Shrink doesn't burn on its own. You can use Nero for that or as a back up, Decrypter burns in ISO mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  3. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

The "Easy CD Creator Image File" is just that.... an ISO image file. It's just associated to Roxio. However Decrypter, Nero, or any other burn program should have no problem at all burning it. I know for a fact that Decrypter can burn your image in ISO write mode. When I first started burning my backups, my ISO's came out of Shrink with the Easy CD thing too because I still had Roxio on my HDD. I've since removed it. (just personal preference) Just burn it like a regular ISO.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  4. nastyandy

nastyandy Member

Cheers Brobear,

I'll do that just as soon as I figure out how to use Nero. Fingers crossed it does the trick.

http://www.eproformance.com/ It looks like quality media. I bought them from 7dayshop.com They also do Ininiti Samurai which are slightly cheaper. What are the favoured buys and does anybody know any cut price internet stores like those in the channel islands (I'm in the UK) that sell them?

The first disk I managed to burn straight from DVD Shrink, didn't use Roxio or Nero.
    Anyway I take it the solution to DVD-9 is to burn to a dual layer disk?

Anyway first step is to learn how to use Nero for my day to day stuff before I dump Roxio which is what I've been generally using.

Cheers.

5. nastyandy

nastyandy Member

Hello weirdo,
    Looking round here everyone seems to hate Roxio. I also hate any software that claims files as it's own, messes with the registrar etc.. So I guess it's going whether that file tag really matters or not.

So I'll have a fiddle with Nero, then dump Roxio and have another shot at it.

Thanks.