1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie DVD Encrypter questions

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by everett44, Feb 1, 2007.

1. everett44

everett44 Member

I am trying to copy a dvd to my hard drive for the first time. I got the files copied to the hard drive OK but have question: 1. I got a bunch of files copied off one dvd. Which one do I click to play the movie? I think I have tried all without success. I can get the the opening disclaimers ("don't copy the movie, etc.) and get up to the "play movie" screen but no further. And I don't even think this movie is copy protected anyway. 2. Do I even need DVD decrypter if the movie is not copy protected? If not, how do I make sure it is the right format to play on my computer (windows media player, etc.)? 3. I have a 8mm digital (micro dv tape) camera with a usb wire. How would I move movies from it to the hard drive? Thanks!!!!

2. tommy1150

tommy1150 Guest

1 - there should be a bunch of .vob files. from what I've seen those are basically the chapters from a retail dvd. you should be able to just click on any of those .vob files and they should play in whatever prog or app your using to watch videos in.

2 - I don't believe that you need to use dvd decrypter if the movie isn't copy protected. I've copied dvds from like school plays directly onto my HD then made additional copies. And the dvds I was copying weren't copy protected or anything.

3 - sorry can't help you out any here. Don't know anything about camcorders.

3. dottmanj

dottmanj Member

Here's where I'm at.
    I have a Roku HD1000 that pipes ripped dvd to my HDTV. Works great. No perfect but pretty darn good. I started to rip some of my dvd's. I've never been a big dvd fan since I pay for all the premium channels and why spend more. But, over the years I have accumulated about 50 and wanted to rip them all to my PC so I can view them with the Roku.
    I've only been playing with this for 2 weeks now. I have used DVD_Shrink, DVD_Decrypter, AnyDVD, and DVD43.
    So far I can rip most of the dvd's that I have. But, it looks to be the older ones that rip fine. It's the new dvd's I haven't had any luck with.

So what's the bottom line. Can ever dvd be ripped? I read the forums and it looks like people are ripping dvd's that I can not get to work using the tools I've found. And the software makers make it look like there products are bullet proof.

Thanks, John

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i would say all dvds can be ripped. if has newer protection its only a matter of time. days or hr before some has an update for there software....
    i belive u can use decypter to burn that dvd with or with out protecion. remember dvdd has not be updated for newer movies

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Everett44,

DVD Decrypter is a very handy tool to have. If you can find it I would advise giving it disk space. It is old, only Xcopy is older. Don't expect it to bust anything protected with anything even remotely new. You will need something like shrink as well. The DVDs that movies come on are double layer. Double layer DVDs are expensive so you need to compress the video so it will fit on the cheap DVDs. You would need it if you use ripit4me, a newbee which is free and is usually the first on the block to break a new wrinkle. If you want to learm more, there are thousands of pages of advice in these forums. You really need to read and check out some guides. Read the shrink forum that is pretty much main stream ripping. There is a full spectrum of Q&A. There are pleanty of information you need to know before you can rip at will.

You need a capture devise to capture your 8mm. I would suggest you read a few threads in a forum that discuss that process. You can also buy a lite-on reader/burner for your TV. That will burn video input (streams you can pipe to your TV No USB) to disks. I like that option better because it is mindless, nearly effortless and the lite-ons can burn and read pure junk we call coasters. If your 8mm only has USB output, bone up on the video capture process BEFORE YOU BUY! Get one with a good bundled video editor and get a SATA 500 G disk.

Dottmanj, be careful! Ripping DVDs is highly addictive. I never watch a regular DVD. I buy and burn and always watch the backup because I rip out all the adds and menues. I join movies with side a and b. The shame is the movie fits on one disk if you take all the junk off. I get to watch movies the way I like them not the way they are sold.

6. smurf316

smurf316 Guest

7. Mez

Mez Active member

smurf,

The DeFab software is great! Your advice is sound. They are usually one of the first on the block to get a fix out on the market. However, if you burn enough new releases there will be some that you will have to wait to copy. On the flip side, DeFab can do nothing extra to make good copies from old scratched up disks. If I had to pick just one ripper it would be DeFab but I don't.

There is more to the backup process than just rippers. Granted, they are the most critical part. Also granted, many AfterDawn members are pretty much 'over the top' when it comes to "the process". I count myself in that group. I actually enjoy "the process" and take pride getting things just the way I like them. It is a hobby, a craft and an art for me. It is not just a means for an end.

Shrink is also an easy shareware package that does it all but it can not handle new protection methods.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  8. everett44

everett44 Member

I posted the original questions. Thanks for the replies.

Followup questions: 1. How do you know if the dvd ripper program you are using does not work and you have to try another? 2. One of you mentioned that you do not need a ripper program if the dvd is not copy protected. Can you just "drag and drop" the movie to the hard drive if that is the case? 3. I assume the "shrink" programs decrypt and shrink the file. If you don't need to shrink the file, is there any reason to use this type of program to do the ripping? Does shrinking affect the quality? 4. When I used DVD Decrypter, I got several VOB files and several seemed to be the whole movie, not just chapters. What am I missing as to what files the program rips and which files I should be using on the hard drive?

9. aurgathor

aurgathor Member

You get read errors and the DVD is not scratched.

I don't think so. Most (all?) movies need to be ripped, regardless of copy protection.

Shrink doesn't decrypt. That's the ripper's (decrypter!) job.

It may effect quality.

With Decrypter & Shrink, you want to rip to .ISO (just one file + mds), not to file or to IFO - that way, just one glance on the file size is enough to determine whether you need to use shrink, or not.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Corrections:
    The last for free version of Shrink 3.2 that came out years ago does rip and shrink. It will also do more advanced stuff such as only do the movie or can even combine 2 DVDs. The only time you would use the combine is when you have a 2 disk movie.

As mentioned it is somewhat obvious when a ripper does not work, it "dies". What is not always as obvious is why it failed. That is the art of "the process". The two most common problems are advanced protection and surface problems such as scratches and is the disk perfectly clean. When the disk is scratched it is not obvious what the problem is.

As I said before, if you can play the files as is, you can drag and drop. If you can't need to get them into a form that you can. For example, mp4s and quick files can be played as is and can not be ripped. There are many video formats the rippers only deal with VOBs. To identify a VOB group of files you will see some of the files have an a vob extention on them, hense the name.

You can't take anything for granted with VOB files. They may be an entire movie usually not. It does not matter because unless you are an expert you need all the files to make anything work even if they are trash to you. The first thing any software does is take inventory on what should be there which is in several files. If something is missing the is the end of the line.

11. everett44

everett44 Member

Thanks.

You mentioned ripping all the files on a dvd. Sometimes there are a bunch, mayber 10 or 12 and some files seem to be identical even though they have a different name.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@newbies or those are interested

Below are some useful and simple guides to rip and backup dvds only.

Here's a free and simple route for newbies

<> DVDFab Decrypter or RipIt4Me to rip
    <> DVD Shrink to transcode (compress)
    <> ImgBurn to burn your final VIDEO_TS or ISO image

Here are some nice FREE guides http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html
    And here are more guides http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Guides.html (Like Jigsaw said; "pick your choice.")

Best of luck and enjoy them guides!![/quote]

13. Mez

Mez Active member

everett44,

They are all different and all needed to open the files. Depending on your tools you may be able to remove some of the files from one step to the next. They hold massive amounts of info and boggle the mind if you open one with a VOB editor.

By the way, DeFab Platnum ( The high end of the DeFab products which is selling for $50 (sale price) has just made some serious upgrades. It might be a one button operation for almost anything. They have now included a cleaning routine in the process. This is what smurf was likely talking about. DeFab Decrypter is freewhare and is only the ripper. Platnum and gold do the whole thing. I just plunked down $50 before the price goes up to $75. I have been using DeFab Decrypter & Ripit4me then Shrink for new releases depending on which works and Shrink alone for everything else. Shrink does not burn to disk but will automatically run Nero or any other burn software to finish the job.

If you prefer the free approch Alkohol spelled out the standard. That approch has always worked for me. I only bought the Platnum because I thought I should buy somthing from them. I have used their freebee for a long time. Being a programmer, I appreciated the effort. It also converts to ipod and PSP and lots of other nice features.

Ripit4me is usually a bit ahead of DeFab in the upgrades and I like it a bit better. You ought to use both. Both have a rip, a clean, a compress and a burn stage. With DeFab Decrypter you have to do 1&2 manually. I suggest the free approch Alkohol spelled out. If that is too much of a bother check out DeFab Platnum or AnyDVD+Clone if you have HD. They will be the first to break into that market.