1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie going for an openbox

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by albert_S, Aug 7, 2012.

1. albert_S

albert_S Member

Im a total noob to all this, I did have a eurox way back when,
    reading through all these posts it looks like an 'openbox s11' is the way for me to go,
    any thoughts?
    all I really ever watch is bike racing on eurosport, and am fed up with the streams continually going down on the PC,
    the wife will prob want some other stuff though, and kids channels if I can get them.
    I have cable already, and a sat dish lying in the back yard I can easily hang, if I can be bothered getting the ladders off my van, (Im a spark and have the meters to line it up to whatever satellite I need to, just tell me what one! lol ).
    is there a better box for the money? or is it just down to personal opinions?
    I know I need a cline too, so that will be my next investigation, but obviously I need to decide on box first, [cable vs sat].
    thanking you all for your help so far.

2. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

lol, buy your self cheap box.. dreambox is cheapest by far, and easiest to use.. but if you your going this way c/s forget cable , sat is way to go.. as for c:line pm me i give you good guy and you will be amazed how easy and wondering why you didnt do it earlier....

3. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

If you just want cable go for the Kryptview, there is a new HD version out, not sure how good or bad it is, its early days, there is a standard Kryptview also, a Dreambox isnt the easiest to use, if you are OK with Linux and good with a PC, then yes, you want simple plug n play, go for either the Blade or the Openbox, Blade is the superior based on reports and simple to use, the are upgraded with a USB, for both firmware and also other things such as chan files or clines

All boxs need the internet now to clear chans, cables and sat so bear that in mind if or when your putting a box in each room, each box needs to be connected (the cost starts racking up then)

If you need a cline I suggest you start reading, on which and where and from whom, the info is there

4. albert_S

albert_S Member

ok, thanks Guys, it looks like sat is the way forward,
    Im OK with Linux, I run Ubuntu and red-hat,but Im actually rubbish with computers!
    I suppose I need to VM some form of windows still to put the firmware on the box? I have a 7disc and key if that will do, or I still have an old XP or vista disc if that is needed.
    I have a cat5e in every room already, I dont trust wi-fi, [I run Linux and know the holes that are to be found in wifi systems !], but it will only be a box in the living room, cabled to upstairs [scart&HDMI both already in], for the mo at least, until I see how I get on with it.
    after a bit more reading Im going to go for an openbox s11, just need to get this dish on me wall now!!
    and do a bit more reading between the lines[as it were] and get a cline sorted.
    thanking you for your help,
    and MICKAH, another thanks to you, it was a lot of your posts in bygone days that got me sorted with my other boxes too.

5. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

looks like your all set to go.. just buy the box and pop the dish up.. boom boom boom then your in business.. go sat, you will have free to air tv, in case anything goes wrong..