1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie help on what to buy

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by armywife4, Aug 22, 2004.

1. armywife4

armywife4 Guest

I have just recently bought the iomega super dvd quick touch 12x burner and i have searched for hours and hours for the best blank media to buy i want to use its DL capabiltity but the fastest write speed i have been able to find is 2.4x. i saw iomega blank media on one website but there was no link to buy it they were 4.5GB. but it didnt list a write speed for them. so i am just guessing it would burn at 12x. I just need to know the best media i can buy whether it is or isnt DL. but i would like to be able to use DL disks. if anyone can help me the price for the media doesnt really matter i just want the best media out there that will work. Please if you can help i would appriciate it.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

no problem. Branded Ritek G04 and verbatim are a favorite at this forum. You can get Riteks at Meritline for .50 to .55 ea. w/free shipping!

As far as DL, they are limited for now. Supermedia has verbatims DL media for 9.00 ea. That's the cheapest I've seen them so far.

Remember good media doesn't mean expensive media- Ritek G04 is a good example. I have over 300 burns with them and only one coaster. Pretty good eh?

Also, don't get obsessed with speed, I burn all my discs at 4x, with the occasional 8x or even 2.4x. It's only 3-4 minutes faster, is it really worth that considering how long you have to watch the movie?

Hope this helps
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

4. armywife4

armywife4 Guest

Thank you the only thing i was thinking is that i tried a fujifilm which i know stinks and it was 4x and my burner didnt even recognize the disks and i dont know if it is because the disk sucked or because it was only 4x. and i was worried i had seen another post at iomegas website saying that. there quick touch burner wouldnt write at all at 4x. so i guess i just will have to buy different ones and see which one works because i cant find a list of compadible media for my specific burner. I will at least order me some ritek like you said. maybe i will have to wait for more DL media to get released. but i do thank you for taking the time to tell me that ritek is a good company and i will order some of those.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

I concur with BigO that faster burn speeds aren't all they're cracked up to be.

There is definitely a diminishing return in time saved as the speeds increase for the simple reason that the entire disc isn't burned at the rated speed. Maximum speed isn't fully realized until the end of the disc.

Consider this:

2X - 30 min.
    4X - 15 min.
    8X - 8 min.
    12X - 6 min.

There are two important things to consider. One, the faster you burn the more chance there are for errors and compatibility can be lessened. Two, most errors occur at the outer edges of the disc so ratcheting up the speed at the part of the disc where errors are most likely to occur isn't a great recipe for quality burns :)

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Even though your dvdrw is 12x it should still recognize 4x media. It just won't burn that media over 4x because of it's media code. If it will only burn dl media, I would invest in a 4x or 8x burner instead. $0.50 a disc vs $9.00 a disc would pay for a different drive pretty quick.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

8. michigan

michigan Guest

Definatly stick with the Ritek "branded" G-04 and the Verbatim "datalife" media. There are A LOT of peple who come back with question/problems that are due to poor quality media. More money does not get you better quality in some cases it is actually the other way around.
    Start out by eliminating those bad media problems then if you have another problem it is not an issue and the proper solution can be found much faster.

9. mrperry05

mrperry05 Guest

backing michigan buy VERBATIM datalife but always have a DVD-RW these are also in the VERBATIM range although Riteks are class