1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help with backing up Apocalypto

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ahj2b, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ahj2b

ahj2b Member

I just bought apocalypto, and i am trying to back it up. but i am unable to back it up. i have tried using dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, and dvd fab. i think it is having trouble with the vob_4.

i was able to open the disc without problems. then, when i try to back it up, during the analizing period, it occurs an error.
    the error reads:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    dvd shrink encountered an error and can not continue.
    failed to read file "D:/"
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    then, i tried to compress the files using dvd decrypter, and then open the files with dvd shrink to burn my backup dvd. but, dvd decrypter occured an error as well, and it read:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I/O Error!
    Device . . . Samsung DVD-ROM . . .
    . . .
    . . .
    Interpretation: Unrecovered Read Error
    (. . . means i am skipping some of the message)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

dvd fab had a similar error message.

my question is can anyone out there help me with this problem? i am a newbie, sort of, so i do not know all of the possible ways to "go at the problem?" any advice is much apreciated. also, i will be checking this thread frequently, so i will be replying to any possible questions one might ask me.
    thanks,
    drew tang

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

hello, welcome to AD,

Are you using the latest version of DVD Fab HD?

DVDFAb HD should be able to rip it.

the dvd might be a bad press, have you tried playing it in the dvd player.

since its brand new i assume there aren't any scratches

3. ahj2b

ahj2b Member

thanks for the advice. i have good dvd-r's. i have made that mistake before. also, i bought the dvd, and watched it already, so the dvd i am backing up is in mint condition.

also, i do not have dvd fab hd. i will try that though. thanks,
    ahj2b

4. ahj2b

ahj2b Member

i have solved the problem, or dvd fab decided to be nice tonight. thanks all.

5. shawn225

shawn225 Member

it's easy just download dvd region + css free. now after you download it have the program running in the background while you use dvd shrink or whatever dvd ripping program you have and it should rip it just fine. HAPPY RIPPING!!!!!!!

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

DVDFab HD Decrypter makes easy work of Apocalypto..

DVDFab HD Decrypter is now (as of today) at version 3.1.3.0, the updates are becoming very frequent of late..

drop by here at least once a week for updates - http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

..and check here also as the program author posts at cdfreaks, this is a good way to keep up to date with the frequent Beta versions too - http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

I always used to run the Beta's until a subsequent final version came out but with the frequent updates lately i just save all versions to my hard drive (and burn to CD eventually) and just run the latest final version, with all previous versions to fall back on, in the (virtually non-existent) eventuality that there are problems in the latest version..

7. _lonewolf

_lonewolf Member

I have found that its very easy to make back ups of your dvds with nero 6.6 or better. If you have two dvd drives you can use the direct copy method, if not then go to make dvd video and use the import disk option. The import may take several min. but should work fine. If you have problems because of a copywright then just download DVD43, this will fix the problem.

8. tusweca

tusweca Guest

HELP. I am using the newest version of DVE FB Platinum. It seems to back up Apocalypto fine, but for some reason the English sbutitle disappear each time, even though when I select all of the options to indluce the English subtitles, the are not transfered. Soes anyone have a suggest to make sure I can transfer the subtitlesw as well, as I don't speake Qechua?

9. tusweca

tusweca Guest

Update. The actual problem occurrs only when I don't copy the entire disk. If I try to just copy the movie, the subtitles are lost. Not sure why, but if I copy the entire disk then the subtitles remain. However with copying the entire movie onto a sigle layer DVD, the vido playback quality is considerably less. Any suggestions to keep the subtitle but copy only the movie?

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i don't have Platinum, just the free version. i can't remember whether i did full disc mode or main movie mode but i suspect it was main movie, and the film/subtitles came out fine after running it thru shrink..

edit- just stating the obvious, are you sure the subtitles are transferred ok, ie by using the dvd remote control. Sounds daft i know but you never know. (.for example, most films i do via Shrink play the subtitles automatically so i just turn them off with the remote - as oppsed to copying them slightly differently; i know there's a method to use Shrink properly but i'm happier just flicking off subs using the remote).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  11. richlaham

richlaham Member

If you can still find a download site for Rip it 4 me, use that.

12. rgh

rgh Member

I made a copy of Apocalypto but I didn’t get the subtitles with it. I had the same problem with Pans Labyrinth & Letters From Iwo Jima. I did a full copy with Shrink & then Decrypter. Where did I go wrong? As usual when I use Shrink I uncheck all boxes except the one for English 5.1 audio. Should I also check some other box to get the subtitles? I used back up the full disc in all cases so I had options as far as audio goes. What didn’t I do? In some I had to use Fab first but not all. Is there something in Fab & DVD Shrink that I should make sure it is checked? All movies are good video copy just can’t understand what is being said.

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@rgh,

there shouldn't be any english audio with Pans and apocalypto, but there should be english subtitles for both of them, just leave all the english subtitles checked and the one AC3 5.1 CH audio selected