1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie help

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bbell1, Mar 18, 2004.

1. bbell1

bbell1 Member

I just recently bought a DVD-R drive for my PC and I own a copy of WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain for my PS2. What I'm looking to do for anyone that owns this game is to make a copy of the game, but replace the "Original" entrance musics in the game's CAW mode with music of my own (music of wrestlers not in the game for the wrestlers I've created). What I'd like to know basically is if this is possible and if so how would I go about doing it? I pretty much know how to burn a DVD-R, just need to know which files in the DVD-ROM directory are the game's music files, how I can open them, and how to replace them.

I also have read something about 2.0 GB being the limit that can be burned at one time, but is there a way around this because the DVD for this game is over 4.0 GB in size.

Lastly I do know I'm going to have to probably buy a mod chip for my PS2. If I'm reading the FAQ at this site correctly my PS2 is a V1 (as the serial number starts with 'U1'). So basically what I need to know is from your experience what ist he best mod chip to go with for my version?

Lastly? Is all this pointless because I've read that some PS2 versions won't read DVD-R's regardless of if you have a mod chip or not.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

2. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

2. the 2gb limit comes into play when your file system is FAT32 as in win9x. If you are using the NTFS file system, it wont matter.
    4. as far as i know they will all read -R's, it's the +R's that give trouble for V4 and easlier models.

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yeah, dont worry about the fat32 thing anyways, you can backup any game that is under the size of a dvd-r. Your ps2 will probably read -r, but i recommend selling it and getting a new one. Since you have a v1, it will probably break when you put a modchip in it or the laser will go out very fast.

4. bbell1

bbell1 Member

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Anyone else here that can help me out namely with the PS2 game in question?

5. bbell1

bbell1 Member

6. martynste

martynste Regular member

hello bbell1,

I think what your asking for is breaking the rules. "Someone from above let me know"!!!

As for making a backup copy of your game I can walk you through the procedure.

Thanks,

Mart

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

he is not breaking the rules. he has the game, but just wants to know if it is possible to put your own music in the game (which i don't know if thats possible).

8. martynste

martynste Regular member

ok sly_61019, thanks I just wanted to check. I'm sorry bbell1 I don't know how to do this, but it sounds a great idea. If it can be done I too would like to know how.

Mart

9. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i dont see any rules being broken. I know people have done this in the past. if ps2owns.com is still up, you might find info on it there.

10. benagain

benagain Regular member

Good Luck with that. I don't know crap about how to do it, but I can bet it will be real damn hard. You would probably first need to get the mp3 or whatever into whatever format the audio is in on the game. I would also guess that the track will need to replace another track of the same name length and file size, but then again I don't know crap about this. If I were you, I'd be prepared to waste a lot of DVD-r's. Good luck.

11. martynste

martynste Regular member

Darthsnip, the link you gave me has gone. Have you any more links please. Benagain, its probably so easy, something like, take out the mp3 and put in your own mp3. How the hell do you find the mp3 files in a ps2 game? What we need is a software programmer from sony on the forum to ask his advice. lol lol

12. bbell1

bbell1 Member

Thanks for the help and info on that other site. By simply looking at the contents of the DVD-ROM I see no mp3's. There's like 60 or so files with a file extension of .PAC. I'm assuming that tose might be the music files for the game, but finding a utility to open those files to find out which files are which is the real challenge. It's no big deal if I can't do it, just thought it would be cool if I had the entrance musics for some of my created wrestlers as well as the legends that are in the game (anyone who owns the game knows what I mean).

13. benagain

benagain Regular member

Yea, that'd be nice if we had that kind of knowledge around here, but then again I don't think anyone from Sony is gonna help us out with our modding. It may be a real easy thing to to, but it seemed like a massive task to me. I was thinking of doing the same thing with my copy of Vice City because I'm really not a fan of 80's music, but I never figured out how.

14. martynste

martynste Regular member

Does anybody know the answer? Is there anybody out there????

15. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

your task is encredibly complex for a few reasons, but I'm sure that with some effort it can be achieved. This first of these problems is actually finding the specific music files you wish to replace, as they are essentially compiled, like a computer program, so by looking at the source you will have a very hard time finding them. Secondly, if you managed to find these music files, you will need to have a method to convert your music into the format that the original music is in. Third, this comes from my experience in playing with windows software with reshacker and some other tools: if you modify a file, the game may perform a check to ensure file entegrity and find your modified file(I think its known as a CRC or Cyclic Redundancy Check)
    Now there is some hope of achieving this, I remember finding a tool called pssplex, or something like that, that was able to decrypt/decode/find the ps2 movie files, that was a while ago, there may now be tools to find and modify the audio and thus perform the task successfully.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]This is an amazingly imformative site with many places to find information and help. Please support it.
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  16. martynste

martynste Regular member

Hello bbell1,

After hours of searching I believe there is a software the can extract music files from ps2 games. The software is called MFaudio. I d/l the software and your game is included in the readme notes.

I believe it is the same software the somebody used to change the music on the radio stations in gta4.

Has anybody got any experience using MFaudio?

I'll try to extract the music from one of my games and get back to you?

bbell1 do you think its worth starting another with using MFaudio?

It up to you, you asked the original question.

Cheers,

Mart.

17. pas2mania

pas2mania Regular member

The link you are looking for is www.ps2ownz.com and not ps2owns.com

Also heres a site you should check out http://www.megagames.com/ps2/ps2_utils.shtml
    Now that has many tools look under audio.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ps2 version 4
    magic 3.1
    sony vaio 2.0 ghz
    532 ddr ram
    70 gigs
    pioneer dvr 104
    ritek and store media[/small]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  18. bbell1

bbell1 Member

martynste:

I'm going to download the MFaudio utility and see how it works. If I'm confused on something I'll probably start a thread in regards to using this utility.

pas2mania:

Thanks for the links; all the help is greatly appreciated.

19. bbell1

bbell1 Member

MFaudio does not work for this particular game. The readme does include a WWE game, but it's last year's game. At least no I know the audio files for the game I have are in an AFS format which MFaudio does not support. I'm looking through some of the other audio utilites over at megagames.com to see if there is one that supports AFS files.

20. bbell1

bbell1 Member