1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Newbie) How do I back up a 2cd game?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Feliziano, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

Hi there,I'm new to your site,came here looking for some help,I read though some other similar posts but I don't understand much of it.Can you more or less give me aa easy step by step process of how to do it,also some frequent sites where i can find those tools like Alcohol(never even heard of that before lol) etc.The games i want to copy are SimCity4 and Fifa 2003(and yes they are mines)...thanks for any help:)

2. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

Ooops...i forgot to give you my system information,i guess its a requirment cause i saw other people have it in their posts...sorry..my burner is a Lite-On LTR 40125S,Celeron 755mhz with 512 RAM...i guess thats bout it.

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, 2CD is just as 1 CD. You have to backup both CD, one by one.

All backup info is provided in the 'sticky' (bold) threads in the main page. I'll post here an extract

a) you get alcohol here:
    http://cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/alcohol120.cfm

b) there is a small alcohol tutorial here, in Afterdawn's articles section:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/alcohol120guide.cfm

c) A more detailed (general guide) is here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

To save you time: note that both Fifa2003 and SimCity4 (both discs) are Safedisc 2.8 protected (very tough). More, your burner is a '2-sheep' burner, so you might need to [bold]uncheck manually the 'Bypass EFM error' checkbox [/bold]in Alcohol burn settings (last screen before burning starts).

(and use a lot of CD-RW for testing, before wasting expensive CD-Rs...)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  4. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

thanks for the expert advica and tips...i'll try it ou and i'll let you know if i was successful..thanks again

5. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

ok i'm back,but unsuccessfully though lol...the burning part went ok,your user guides were a real big help also...the problem i get now is that it keeps asking me to insert Disc2...i cant remeber seeing an error or anything but i think i happened to remeber seeing fifa2003.exe not found...oh,i believe the game was installed successfully with the both backed up cd's cause i took the original disc 2 and the game ran...so am i safe to assume that the problem is in the copying of disc2?...i read around some more in your forums but didnt really understand what people were saying bout this safedisc2.8,saw someone talk bout bins and cues but i'm not sure if thats an option in the alcohol program or if i need to do that...anyway what should i try next?...any ideas?

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well I assume that if you put CD2 inside the CD-ROM the game knows it's a copy and does not accept the copy.

Therefore this mean that you did not burn a 'perfect' backup. The reason might be:
    1) you did not choose 'Datatype=Safedisc2' in Alcohol burn settings and/or you didn't uncheck 'bypass EFM error'
    2) you selected 'Safedisc2' but the game knows that the CD is a copy

If you're on case 1) then you might try to burn again CD2 with the proper settings (Safedisc2 + uncheck 'bypass EFM error', that will turn datatype to 'Customize')

If you're on case 2) there might be three reasons:
    - you put the CD2 in the CD-RW, which detects the CD is a copy by reading the ATIP. Try putting CD2 in the CD-ROM, instead. What happens?
    - Alcohol did not manage to burn a 'perfect' backup. Try emulation: open Alcohol, click on Options->'Emulation' , make sure 'Ignore Media Type' is selected. Then click to 'Extra Emulation' and check 'BAD sectors emulation'. Close (NOT exit) Alcohol on the system tray and run again the game. What happens?
    - bad burning. Try lowering the write speed to 10-12x (unlikely...)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2003
  7. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

thanks for the response...ok i did use safedisc2 but i didnt get a screen where it allowed me to ucheck the EMF bypass thing you talked bout prior to the actual burning,also i ran the burner at 4000 i believe,which should be the lowest setting...but what you said afterwards bout using the cd-rw to read the disc2 might be true,i think i had both discs in the pc at the same time and just selected the drive when the wizard asked me too,i guess that was my bad then lol...but i'm going to try what u said bout using only the cd-rom...i belive i should just re-do disc 2 then cause apparently thats where the problem lies,does that make sense or should i just start over from scratch?..oh another question...can't i use the image or whatever you may call it that was placed in Alcohol/Documents folder and run the game from there,i mean select the exe?

8. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

ok i'm back again lol...i just noticed something else...my original disc2 wont even start the game from my cd-rom but it starts the game when i put it in the burner...seems kinda strange to me lol,also the copy disc 2 doesnt work period..i'm still reading some preious posts and i must say i'm kinda picking up little stuff that i should look out for etc...another thing i noticed when i tried to copy disc2 was that in the little window(status window?) i saw it say something bout error and there ws number behind it,probbaly from 826 to 10,000 or there about...so right now i uninstalled the whole game and now im going to reinstall it with the original cd's and see if i can get my remade copy to start the game up...Hope to hear from you sometime tomorrow...night night!!

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Errors from sector 800 to 10800 are part of the Safedisc protection, don't worry!! Even the original discs have them!!!

Errors cause the data extracion to slow, sometimes even abort it. If your burner is good, you could have a fast extraction due to the 'fast error skip' setting enabled in setting: Datatype=Safedisc2. Usually CD-RW are better for extraction than CD-ROM due to fast error skip capability.

And... the CD-RW is capable to read ATIP, the CD-ROM is not. So maybe this is the difference from the twos (one starts, the other does not).

Finally, the screen where you uncheck 'bypass EFM errors' is in step 6), after you select 'Safedisc2' burn option, look at the Alcohol burning guide:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/28487

If you have errors on burning, you might want to try Fireburner.

10. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

ok i'm back..got some good news though lol...i successfully backed up my FIFA 2003,i did the same thing you told me from the start as i had said i had done previously,but this time it happened to work...the EMF bypas thing was already unchecked(it was in the data settings screen)...i guess you were right when you said keep trying it over and over lol...the only thing i don't really like nor makes sense to me is why the backup only plays in the drive that i installled it in...thanks again for the help..you all really have a great site going here...where do you find the time to answer idiots like me?lol...thanks again :) ...laters

11. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Did you install the game from the CD-ROM or from the CD-RW? Probably the difference lies in ATIP reading capabilities.

12. Feliziano

Feliziano Guest

i installed it from the cd-rom,also it only plays from the cd-rom...not sure why it is like that,its the same way with the 'real' cd's also.

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Feliziano,
    Your Litey is an "2 sheep burner" (EFM encoding) and [/bold] will [/bold] backup Safedisc flawlessy. Use Alcohol 120 as aldaco12
    recommended and [bold] don't [/bold] check the bypass efm error option. Use the Safedisc 2 datatype profile like aldaco12 recommended and install your backups from your Litey [bold] without [/bold] Alcohol 120 running in system tray (startup).

Shoey :)