1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in need of guidance!

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by demon83, Jan 5, 2005.

1. demon83

demon83 Member

Firstly, please excuse my ignorance!

I'm looking to buy a DVD recorder to enable me to record TV programmes. One system that keeps popping up in my searches is the "Panasonic DMR E55". I was wondering if anyone has any experience (good/bad) with this system. Also, is there any difference between it and the "Panasonic DMR E55 EBS"?

Ideally I would like my recordings to have commercials removed and be viewable on other DVD players. Does this system provide such functionality? If not, do others come to mind that do?

Thanks in advance

2. Brunnen-G

Brunnen-G Guest

Hi demon83,

I haven't heard any bad reports about the Panasonic recorders but the DMR-E55 does not have a hard disk which I have found makes the unit more versatile (eg can record to disk and watch a DVD at the same time). You will be able to record and then remove commercials later if you use DVD-RAM disks but the Panasonic machines do not support DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW. I have a Sharp recorder with an 80Gb hard disk and find the extra versatility of the hard disk to be worth the extra cost.