1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in need of some very basic help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rluk23, Aug 21, 2004.

1. rluk23

rluk23 Guest

I now have the updated versions of DVDshrink and DVD Decryptor. Can I burn a DVD to DVDR with just these two programs? If so I would like to know how. There are no guides of using DVDshrink, then DVD Decryptor to burn a DVD. Thanks in advance.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rluk23, Hi and Welcome to aD -

Let's chill for a while cause this DVD copying stuff is getting just too stenuous.

Actually, I heard there's a kweel show on the tube that we can catch that might even help us out as we're a-chillin'

Since you're kind of new around these parts, follow me over this a-way, we'll go behind the potted palm, there's a place we can sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will come on the air -
    - CLICK -
    ”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

[bold]Ooooohh Boy, Ooohh Boy, The ScubaPete’s so happy I could spit fish ![/bold]

Big fat finny fish !

And what’s soo great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

[bold]FREE STUFF that’s what, FREE STUFF ![/bold]

I know I run behind the times but this needs Shouting Out !

The new DVD Shrink version 3.2.0.15 really started it all !

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Shrink Guide - you might want to look at this sometime -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

Yea I know, it’s been out for a while, like me, I’ve been out for a while but I just found out how truly kweel the new DVD Shrink was -

We now we can go from Soup to Nuts, with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

[bold]DID you know - that after we get setup, there are only 3 clicks (It takes 4 clickie things using DVD Xcopy) to go from start to finish ? How good is that ?[/bold]

First, you should, as many of you do already, create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Decrypter will work on your movie. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/My Movie today.

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter all by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, after all my efforts, it had better be Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Ridata or any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could well be the cause errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in. If you don't know what I'm talking about - you better go back to reading these forum threads and seeing all the poor media complaints -.

Now go into DVD Shrink, click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size anywhere between "4200MB" to "4300" - we do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. Then, under the "File I/O" tab [bd]un-tick[/b] "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". Let's do it now !

Now let's burn a DVD. Click "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Full Disc" to get ready to finish.
    If you want a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc, just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN when time comes, select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". NEXT, IMPORTANT, tick "Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image" box. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?

Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done - "Pissshaaa," you say. "Naaah." Says I. "Tis the most honest truth !" I added. :D) "Really and truly !" I stated.

“OK, Ok, What now.” Says you. (OOOhh, Pooohh, I gotta stop this “says you, says me,) It’s wearing me fingers out) - - (Switching to regular typing mode - - clink, pop, -) - Done -

OK, time to move on (switching to the moving-on mode - click, %@# rattle - snap, - #%@-Ouuuch, S@it, that hurt -, OK, I got it -CRUnch&#$ ) - - Moving on -

And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working cause you don’t want me a-smackin your knuckles with my Nun’s ruler do ya ? Yea, I thought not. - Screwin’ up the burn this late in the game would absolutely tick old ScubaPete off, causing me to choke on my fine finny fish dinner -

Now tell me, - - - Wasn’t that finer than frog hair ? Slicker than a southern slimy slithery sloth ? Yep, ya see there, I thought you’d say that -

Truly fine, that backup was - - “Hark, I heard a Backup Beep” - Aaauuugh, the officers in the white coats and armed with the big nets and straight jackets are here - a-backing up to my front door - nice talkin with you, this old ScubaPete just remembered he has to be somewhere, anywhere (looking for the backdoor) - -

Enjoy youse selves and your backed up DVD’s - I’ll be a-seeeein’ ya round the ‘ole Chuck wagon -

Now where are my quarters, and Where’s ol’ Paint, me trusty Horsie - - -
    Gotta go, gotta go - (jamming quarters in ole Paint’s neck)
    Get’em up Gurttie, gotta go, click, clump,
    (feedin’ in more quarters, maybe Paint’ll go faster - )
    Clippity, clippity, clippity clop -
    an we’re off – Sea Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa - -

3. cadem

cadem Member

Thanks ScubaPete for those detailed directions. Im still a total noober and this will help out a lot once I receive my blank media in the mail. You have a weird sense of humor,lol but very helpful. Thanks again

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're Welcome -

Huuuuummm, Wondering what happened to rluk23 ???)

5. michigan

michigan Guest

You didn't fry him up with the fish did ya? ;)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Thinkin', Huuummmmm, that fish did taste a little funny . . . . . . .)

7. michigan

michigan Guest

8. Yoss99

Yoss99 Member

Hi-I'm also clueless and have been struggling with this stuff for an embarassing amount of time...

I followed ScubaPete's instructions, until he instructed the following: NEXT, IMPORTANT, tick "Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image" box.

I cannot find that box anywhere. Can someone prove me stupid and tell me where it's found or provide a screenshot?

Thanks!
    Yoss99

9. Veblin

Veblin Active member

The 3.1 version of DVD Shrink had a "Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image" check box when you selected a target of ISO Disc Image.

The 3.2 version of DVD Shrink lets you select a target of ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter.

10. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Yoss99,

[bold]"NEXT, IMPORTANT, tick "Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image" box."[/bold]

There is no need to do this using version 3.2 of shrink.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ScubaPete's Updated DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter Guide:

I say, Iffin ya read da threads around here-a-bouts you'll come across an "Uncle" ScubaPete Guide :p) - YA FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS AND ALL OF THE SETTINGS -
    Anyway, it's a big thingie - Kind of looks like this -

Here we go, step by step - it can't fail.

HINT:

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/My movie Name).

Next download DVD Decrypter and under mode select "ISO, Write". Un-tick the box that says "verify". Where it says "source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size as 4200MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large. Then under the "File I/O" tab un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". DO THAT NOW !

The link for the newest DVD Shrink ver. 3.2.0.15 -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. (Of course if you only have a single drive, place your original in the drive and when you are asked for it, put your blank DVD in. Then, first chance you get buy yourself a DVD-ROM to ease the strain on your burner.) DO USE Ritek G04, Ridata, Verbatim "DataLife" or media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO Dye. Many other media could cause you errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I've saved buying these." Cheap stuff in - )

Now click "Backup" -

Now, take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working. -

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing :-(

Enjoy,

Pete

Hey, a great big "ScubaPete Thank you" going out to those 2 guys for pointing out a Really Big "ScubaPete Bo Bo."
    Ain't the "edit" button a handy, dandy thing-a-ma-bob :p)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  12. Yoss99

Yoss99 Member

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thank you very much. It's shameful how much time I've spent trying to get this to work. And now, thanks to you (*sniff*), it does work.

I appreciate the help.

-Yoss99

13. michigan

michigan Guest

What's that warm and fuzzy feeling is it someone that appeciates help? What is this crazy world coming to? Glad your going yoss99. Stick around and hang out.

14. michigan

michigan Guest

BBBBump
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]emachines T1862, 1.8mhz, 762 ram, 60gig hdd, 10gig hdd, lite-on multiformat dvd, 1394 IEEE[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2004
  15. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

michigan
    Do you have a stammer problem?

ScubaPete
    You are absolutely cactus chewing crazy.

Edited for atrocious spelling.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Athlon XP2500+Barton OC'd to XP3200+ running at 2.2Ghz (200fsbx11)(vcore 1.775v)(agp 1.5v)(DDR 2.6v)
    Asus A7N8X-X
    1G 400DDR Ram
    160Gb Seagate Barracuda[/small]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's what the guys said about me at that place I escaped from -

17. michigan

michigan Guest

It was 3:00am man doesn't everyone stammer at 3:00am? Maybe it was that last beer. Nah, couldn't be that.

18. NexTech

NexTech Member

Well being a brand newbie,to dvd's. I found this article very helpful.I found a few mistakes in my area,such as wrong settings,wrong media,so now i will try again, thnx pete.I run forums on other stuff :)and im also a nextel tech if you ever needone ! I will correct myself,and try again.and you can teach an Old Dog New tricks ! I downloaded,Nero,dvd shrink,dvd decryptor.but first must find nero key :)

19. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hey NexTek
    Nero lets you use that software for 30 days,,, then guess what, just uninstall it and download it again, TA-DA,,, fresh 30 days,,, kewl huh!!

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NexTech,

Whenever you uninstall Nero, don't forget to do a "Clean Uninstall".

Nero has two tools you'll need, The first is a registry cleaner and the second is a general Driver clean tool. We don't want any remenets left over when you uninstall it :)

Here's where you get them -

http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html

Cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004