1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie needing help on a few things

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jtg80, Dec 4, 2004.

1. jtg80

jtg80 Guest

alright guys i need your help on a few things because im getting a little frustrated:

1.when it comes to + and - i read it realy doesnt matter because my drive burns both,but my dvd player states it will play - but plays + as well: now should i strictly use + or - or does not matter at all

2. everytime i try to burn avi to be able to watch on my home dvd player im able to burn it sucessfully but about an hour into it or so the picture starts to sop and go and sometimes will shut off completely is this because im using + when my player says it plays - or is it the quality of the dvd media brand or maybe the quality of the avi. It seems like 1 out of 5 will play perfectly fine now eventhough it will stop and pause at the hour mark on my home dvd player if i watch it on my computer it plays fine

some basic info im using the roxio burings software and the dvds im using are a gq brand that i bought at freys electronics for $15 for a spindle of 50 all help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
    and my burner is a btc dvd+/- r/rw cd-r r/rw drive

2. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

jtg80
    Welcome to "Newbie Burning 101",,, lol

First, it really no longer makes a great deal of diference wether you burn + or -. If your player plays both either is acceptable and quality is not a factor. (altho you might want to consider you might not be able to play these on other peoples players, + isn't readable on every player !)

Now, as to the problem you are having with burned disks, that sounds like a media problem, (as in qulity) All media is not good for burning DVD's. It's one of the biggest problems found here. There are a number of posts and lots of opinions as to what brand of media to use. I use Ritek/Ridata GO4's . They're good for me but others have a different opinion. Thats just something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Hoped this helped with your original question. Happy Burning

3. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

======================================================
    2. everytime i try to burn avi to be able to watch on my home dvd player im able to burn it sucessfully but about an hour into it or so the picture starts to sop and go and sometimes will shut off completely is this because im using + when my player says it plays - or is it the quality of the dvd media brand or maybe the quality of the avi. It seems like 1 out of 5 will play perfectly fine now eventhough it will stop and pause at the hour mark on my home dvd player if i watch it on my computer it plays fine

some basic info im using the roxio burings software and the dvds im using are a gq brand that i bought at freys electronics for $15 for a spindle of 50 all help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
    and my burner is a btc dvd+/- r/rw cd-r r/rw drive
    =====================================================

For that symtoms, it look to me that you need better media.
    Uses the media that people said it's good on this forum.

"btc" burner, I have no glue on that burner, try to get a decent burner such as Pioneer, Lite-on, NEC, Sony.
    Used those DVD burner and media such as Prodisc, Ritek, Tayo Yuden , it will be no more frustrate.

I used to have a DVD burner that came with PC (dont know the name), and I used to buy CQ media at Fry's, I had so much problem while burning and playing after burned, and then I threw those d*mn things away and bought Sony and Pioneer burner and media like TY/Ritek/Prodisc my burning success rate is 100% and NO MORE FRUSTRATED.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey jtg80. I agree with bigfoot and rayboy. Symptoms of poor media.1)freezing...2)pixelation...3)movie skipping around,missing chapter...4) disk error when you place backup in a stand alone player. You have the option to burn in both formats so you have more options to find the certain brand of media for the standalone to read.Either format will work,what will mess you up is the manufacturers for each brand. Take maxell -4x yellow tops. Excellent media coded mxl rg02 and made in japan.These are first class media.I really like these and so do my stand alones. Now you take that same maxell +4's that sit next to the -4's sitting on a shelf.Just a slight color change,same amount, and hello. These are made in taiwan. They are coded ricoj,second class media. Quite a big difference.The quality of media is usually unnoticeable in your pc but the problems magnify for the stand alone players.You can't go by the specs on what these players will read.Just a simple media change is usually the cure for these problems.Just something to try. It works for me.I stick with maxell and verbatim,japan only, and they do the trick for my players.Good luck

5. jtg80

jtg80 Guest

thanks for all the help guys i went and returned a 100 pack od dvd+r that i bought at comp usa for 20 bucks and got a 25 pack of verabatum and so far im 5 for 5 when it comes to burning with no stops i havent ripped yet just buned avi,one problem i have some times is it seems the audio gets a little behind the visual or vice versa so it sounds like its dubbed wrong is there anything i can do about that should i use a different burning software