1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help burning dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bluv69k, Mar 1, 2004.

1. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

Ok, I have a sony dvd-rom and 4x nec dvd-rw dual format. I am using dvd x-copy xpress hacked. I have burned the same money 3 times and it locks up. I am just burning from dvd rom to dvdr on the fly using dvd xcopy. Can someone help me and tell me what i am doing wrong!!!!
    Thanks
    Brian

2. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

also, using memorex -r 4x media and have tried to the HDD also. same deal

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

don't do it on the fly. Since you already tried copying to hd, try the new version of dvd shrink and dvd decrypter. They are both free, and can shrink and burn the dvd.

4. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

first things first....you shouldn't be using hacked software as this is illegal and boasting about it will get your account frozen. i used to use dvd x express but found it too limiting. download dvdshrink and dvddycrypter (both free)and so long as you are using decent media i find i have no problems. i posted a quick starters guide a few days ago "getting started newbies" covers the steps i've learned and seems to work well

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

very good advice about the 'hacked' software viper

yeah try dvdshrink or dvd decrypter they are both free
    if you use dvd decrypter you then crunch it up with dvd2one so that it will fit onto a 4.36 gig blank dvd

then try burning it with nero 6

all pretty simple to use and there are some good guides on this website if you search
    DaOsT

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Also Memorex -R media isn't a very good choice. Its made by CMC-MAG which doesn't have a good track record. Try a different brand.

Jerry

7. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

oops, sorry about that guys :) I meant to say purchased for full price! Downloaded the programs and will go out for more dvd's this afternoon. So dvd shrink first then decrypter? Also I am using fat 32. should I changed it to ntfs? New pc and wouldn't be an issue.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

DVDshrink will do most backups by itself, then burn with Nero. Only use Decrypter if shrink can't decrypt. Your type of file system (fat32 or ntsf) won't make a difference. Either will work.

Jerry

9. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

why can't I just burn with dvd decrypter or shrink? How am I suppose to make the transfer to nero?

10. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

YOU download to your harddrive what ever you wish to back up with dvd shrink ......

dvd shrink basically takes a dvd and crunches it down till it fits upon a 4.36 gig disc ......

I always make a file like

folder 1 to rip the dvd onto the hard drive .....then open nero
    choose dvd video
    new
    drag the files from your folder 1 into the
    video_ts folder and drop them in .....

then burn n hopefully you will have a back up of the said film

DaOsT

11. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

so you use dvd shrink to load t HDD? Then use nero to burn right? Do you not use dvd decrypter? or you use shrink in place of decrypter?

Also is it best for me to have fat 32 or ntfs? I have fat 32?

Last question. I can burn regular data to dvd for storage right? I have roxio easy cd/dvd creator

12. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

well you rip to your harddrive with dvd shrink ....
    then I burn with nero ....

I use dvd decrypter all the time yes then you crunch.'aka' compress the dvd with dvd2one ....then burn with nero .....

I believe ntfs is the best for windows xp but as I do not fully know can only advise I am ntfs on both My hard drives ......yeah you can I think you burn a dvd in iso format to just back up normal shit off your HD I never used roxio

ok if you have dvd decrypter rip a copy to your harddrive in a folder called 1 and get back to Me will go thru step by step with you

BUT make sure you have atleast 12-15 gig of free space

13. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

if you intend to use nero bluv69k then from what i have read on here i would strongly recommend you get rid of easy cd creator as i have found lots of guys on here have suffered major conflicts when both packages are installed. here is the order to do things....
    1) use dvdshrink to analyse your origin disc then you will be able to compress down to 4.7m or remove unwanted files (subtitles/extra features etc) if you have nero then shrink will automatically use this to burn your back up.
    2) if for some reason shrink wont read the origin disk then use decrypter to create an image of the disk on your hdd.
    3) go back to step 1 only this time point shrink to the image file you have just created with decrypter and carry on as normal

all now should be wonderful in the bluv69 home!!!!!

14. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Maybe he doesn't have nero. Thats why i recommended shrink and dvd decrypter because the new version of shrink allows you to burn with dvd decrypter.

15. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

encoding now with shrink to hard drive.
    I Downloaded nero but is this a demo version? are you guys using the demo version?

16. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

I downloaded nero but it will not let me use the burning rom without a serial #

17. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

Ok, I have encoded onto my hard drive. However I cannot use nero to burn because it is a demo and wants serial #. An i do not understand how to burn with shrink or decrypter
    HELP

18. bluv69k

bluv69k Member

GOT IT! was able to copy a movie using shrink and I assume shrink used decypter to burn it. Thanks for all the help guys. 2 final questions,
    1. Will shrink and decrypter copy disc with write protection?
    2. should I use the ntfs system over fat32

19. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yes, it copies movies with copy protection (which is almost all of them). NTFS does have advantages over fat32, but there is no need to convert if you are using fat32.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bluv69k,

Don't INSULT us - we let it go - you won't make friends by being a smartass

Pete