1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Needs Help on Ripping a Secure DVD

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Adrian8, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Adrian8

Adrian8 Member

I'm new to the world of DVD ripping so please excuse my very basic question. I'm hoping that someone can tell me if there is a DVD solution that is similar to the audio solution that I am more familiar with. I want to be able to rip a "perfect" (bit-by-bit replica) copy of my DVDs to my hard drive and save it there in both a "lossless" and a "lossy" format - the first so I know I have an archived copy that is as good as the original and that I can later manipulate (edit,burn etc); the latter that I can watch on my PC, iPod Video player etc.

This is a preamble to asking if there is,
    1. A "secure" DVD ripping solution (like EAC does for ripping audio),
    2. A "lossless compression" DVD solution (like Monkey's Audio does for audio compression), and
    3. A "lossy" DVD encoding solution (like LAME does for audio encoding)?

I've read through a lot of the forum suggestions on applications like dvdshrink, AnyDVD, Nero etc but I can't seem to find if these are "secure", "lossless" etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

PS. I don't need freeware.

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

If you mean by "secure" something that rips it perfectly, then AnyDVD and DVD-FAB decrypter can do almost-perfect rips (they do remove CSS, Prohibited User Operations, Macrovision, etc., so they are not quite perfect, but you can opt not to remove these if desired.) The quality will be unchanged, so there is no harm in removing all that undesirable stuff.

There is no "lossless compress" like there is with audio. DVD format itself (the VOB subset of MPEG-2) is lossy itself. If you want to retain the quality of the original, you cannot compress at all.

If you have to compress, re-encoding will produce better results than a transcoder (which are mainly used because they are fast). Something like DVD-Rebuilder with Cinema Craft Encoder, HCenc, or Procoder. But quality will still suffer, especially if compressing more than 10-20%.

3. Adrian8

Adrian8 Member

Thanks for the explanation Dunker!

So, if I understand you correctly, I can at least get a perfect rip (albeit of a lossy original if it's a DVD video) and then archiving these as uncompressed files will give me the best quality available?

What format will the ripped files be in if I don't compress them - or, if this is dependent on the ripper I use, is there a "better" format to archive uncompressed files on my HDD to maintain maximum flexibility?

Finally, when you say that re-encoding is better than transcoding, am I right in thinking that the "one click" tools like dvdshrink are transcoders and that you are therefore recommending that it's better to use something like DVD-Rebuilder to dvdshrink? And would using DivX /XviD get as good a results (as DVD-Rebuilder)?

4. Aceice

Aceice Guest

*spam removed*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2007
  5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yes the encoders will yeild you better quality than the transcoders but it will take more time. so YES DVD Rebuilder is MUCH better than dvd shrink.or you can use a transcoder like clonedvd 2 and put the backup on a Dual-Layer disc(DVD-9) which would be NO compression. using DivX/XviD would not yeild you as good a quality as DVD-Rebuilder

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007
  6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

You're welcome. Exactly. You cannot compress them more without quality loss, so keep them as-is.

No. They will be in Video_TS format i.e. IFOs, VOBs, and BUPs. They will be fully playable as a DVD from your hard drive or disc, provided you burn your discs as DVD-Video discs. The DVD format is by far the most flexible one anyway, and has almost universal support.

Yes on the transcoders: 1-click tools are faster but yield poorer quality. DVD-RB with any of the encoders I mentioned is far better than DVDshrink. CCE is widely considered to be the best, but is costly. HCenc is free and I'm told does a decent job, though I haven't used it.

DivX/XviD won't give you quite as good results, even if you preserve the original resolution, although you can get very good results (better than DVDshrink or any of the 1-clicks, IMO) and half the total size. Still, though, it's not wonderful, and bear in mind that DivX and XviD are lossy formats, so if you convert a lossy format (DVD) to another lossy format (DivX/XviD) and then try to convert it again, any losses will be magnified i.e. it will look terrible.

The best way to archive a DVD is to simply copy it, without any conversion or compression.

7. Adrian8

Adrian8 Member

Thanks Dunker, Michael.....you clarified things for me nicely and I feel like I at least understand what I'm doing well enough to get started.

One final point - if I understand correctly, if I get AnyDVD,this would only strip out the copy protection and I'd still need another program to rip a DVD to my HDD (i.e. to create the "Video_TS Folder"), whereas something like DVD-FAB Decrypter or the retail version (Platinum would both strip out the protection and rip to the HDD?

So I presume that it would be redundant to get both?

Does AnyDVD have any advantage to DVD-FAB Decrypter- i.e., is it a "better" copy protection stripper?

8. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

thats a matter of opinion i say YES anydvd is superior to DVD Fab Decrypter but both are good anydvd is quicker to update

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  9. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

AnyDVD actually does have a built-in ripper although the makers discourage its use. DVDFAB-Decrypter is a ripper itself and offers you the option to rip to either VIDEO_TS format (a directory) or ISO format. (I don't know if DVDFab Decrypter generates companion MDS files with the ISOs - you need the MDS files when ripping a DVD-9 to a DL disc.)

MichaelP1's right in that AnyDVD is usually the first to defeat any new copy-protection - usually within a few days of a new movie's release, if that. On the other hand, you can't beat DVDFab Decrypter's price.

10. Adrian8

Adrian8 Member

Thanks again to both of you (Dunker & MichaelP1) for taking the time to 'walk' me through these intial steps. I'm all set!

11. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

great shoot back if you have any questions

12. Adrian8

Adrian8 Member

OK, I thought I was all set (really! LOL), but it turns out I have 1 more question after all. I've got the 'ripping' part figured out.....but realised that the burning from my HDD side is still a bit murky.

So, let's say I've now got these (uncompressed) "Video_TS Folder" files on my HDD (which I can archive) and I also want to view them on my portable DVD player, as well as on my video-iPod. Assuming I want to keep the portable player video viewing quality high, am I understanding correctly that the DVD-Rebuilder + CC Encoder (I'm OK with paying the $58 for the 2-pass max. version of CC Encoder) will do the trick - i.e., that it will let me compress to a DVD-5 so I don't need to use 2 single layer or 1 double layer DVD? Thanks in advance!

Second part of my question: I'm assuming that I will need to get another app. to compress the video so I can view it on my Ipod (i.e., that CC Encoder can't do this)? Suggested other app.? Maybe a DivX/XviD would be OK here if it gives the best quality vs storage solution?

13. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Yes this is correct .theres a few guides around how to use the program .maybe Dunker has one

yes you will need another program CC Encoder doesn't handle IPod , there are a few programs but there tricky to use getting the audio and video to sync up but check here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/159

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2007