1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Lancero, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Lancero

Lancero Member

Hello,

I just purchased my first DVD Writer over the weekend (plextor 708A), and I am using it with Windows XP.
    I am having a litte, ok a lot, of difficulty with the DVD Shrink program that I read about in this forum.

When I insert any of my DVD's to backup into the writer and start to use the DVD Shrink program, I first select 'open disc', and then I receive the following error either immediately or within the next 40 seconds while it is analyzing the disc:

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Copy protection error
    Incorrect function."

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Thank you.

Lance

2. joski

joski Guest

Never ever had a problem with shrink.(any version)
    I'd first try downloading a new copy (latest version please)
    Since you mention new writer, try other programs (make sure it works everthing else)

Check back here with details. we love a challenge, but I don't think is gonna be challenging

See DVD+-R one click transcodeing tools

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2004
  3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ya Lance,

He he, Well my friend, somehow you found one or two of the very rare discs that Shrink has a little trouble opening -

Download DVD Decrypter, use that to open your DVD (use it in the file mode) Put a folder on your Desktop to use as your destination, Decrypt the DVD to that folder - Important - name the folder VIDEO_TS written just like that -

When Decrypter is finished, open Shrink, click "Open Files" and browse to your Desktop folder - continue on from there -

Welcome to the Neighborhood -

Pete

If you don't have Nero (DVDShrink LOVES Nero to burn with, go here for your 30-day free trial download - (If you have Nero, don't bother :))

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

"P"
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  4. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Hey,

I don't think it's your writer, because I have the 708A, and it works perfectly with DVD Shrink.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think DVD Shrink removes the CSS protection. Which is why your getting that copy protection error. DVD Shrink does make it region free though.

To bypass the protection, your either gonna have to run DVD43 or AnyDVD. They both remove the CSS protection and region codes right when the disc is inserted, thus allowing the DVD to be copied.

If your dvd is a DVD5, I would suggest using DVD Decrypter. It removes the protection and region codes. You can also burn the ripped DVD.

Let us know how it goes.

~levi

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Most likely you haven't set your new drive's region code to anything yet and that causes the problem. Set it to "something" -- i.e. to region most important to you (various ways, usually should work by going to drive's properties) -- and the problem should disappear. Then, if you need reading other region discs, DVD Region-Free, hacked firmware or even DVD Decrypter's brute force ripping will do the trick.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thankee Boss,

Never thought about something we do in our sleep -

leviticus,

Shrink does in fact rip 95+% of all the DVD's AND it makes it region free. It's that, and it's ability to join with Nero for a complete package makes it sooo good, especially because it's FREE ! ! ! :)

"P"

7. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Thanks for correcting me ScubaPete.

8. Lancero

Lancero Member

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I have not made any progress after taking into account some of the suggestions you have made. I have tried burning both a cd and a dvd and they have both burned fine.

I tried an older version of DVD Shrink and the newest version and unfortunately I was not successful with either.

The region code set automatically when the first region code dvd was placed into the drive so that was not the problem (though i was really hoping it was!)

Also, I had downloaded DVD shrink on my laptop to see what would happen and sure enough the same DVD's that would not read on my desktop were able to be dealt with on my laptop.

Sorry to have such a weird problem and again I appreciate all help or suggstions.

Lance

9. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sounds bit weird, but I suggest that you try the DVD Decrypter method -- i.e. rip the contents of the movie to HDD first and process those files with DVD Shrink then, that's how I always do my own ripping as I'm too used to use DVD Decrypter to use even automated ripping of Shrink or other similar products.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Lance,

YOU MUST SET YOUR DRIVE'S REGION !

Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, DVD/CD-ROM drives, highlight your DVD RW drive, double-click then go to DVD Region, find your country and click it into the "Current Drive" window, then click "OK" close out all windows, reboot your computer - THEN try to backup a DVD :)

Pete

you must set your drives region !

11. Lancero

Lancero Member

Hello Pete,

I had checked to see if the region had been set and it had been. Thanks for the effort.

Lance

12. Lancero

Lancero Member

Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

Thanks,

Lance

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Lance,

Good Guy, we didn't spend our time trying to help you to have you -
    [bold]"take into account some of the suggestions" we made [/bold]
    We made those suggestions for you to actually do to solve your problem, not for you to "take into account" - -

However I'm glad -
    What I don't understand now is -
    If you're doing so well, what [bold]"Ideas"[/bold] are you refering to now ?

"P"

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  14. Lancero

Lancero Member

Hey Pete,

I think you misunderstood me. I am extremely grateful that people would take the time to try and help me.

I am not doing so well because I still cannot get DVD Shrink to work. When I stated that I had been able to successfully burn DVD’s and CD’s it was in response to a post made by JOSKI where he said:

“Never ever had a problem with shrink.(any version)
    I'd first try downloading a new copy (latest version please)
    Since you mention new writer, try other programs (make sure it works everthing else)”

I was merely commenting on the fact that the burner was able to burn and that I had tried his suggestion of trying other programs.

Additionally, when I said:

“I have not made any progress after taking into account some of the suggestions you have made.”

I was not being dismissive by any means, I was merely informing all the people who have tried to help me that I have tried their suggestions (taken into account) and after trying each thing, I still have not had any luck running the program on my desktop.

This includes trying your idea of using DVD Decrypter. After using DVD Decrypter, I tried to use DVD Shrink and I would still get the “Copy Protection Error.”

And finally when I asked if anyone else had any ideas it is because I still have not had any luck using DVD Shrink.

I am sorry if you or anyone else took offense. I am VERY grateful for any help or suggestions made by anyone in helping me solve this problem.

Cheers,

Lance

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK Lance, it's water under the bridge -

When you used Decrypter, did you wait until all the files were stopped and then continue ?

Second, what did you check under "Mode" ?

16. hightech

hightech Member

Lancero,
    I've had that problem with my Digital Research-I/O Magic DVD writer. To get right to the point, I had my CD-RW writer installed as master and my DVD-RW as slave. I encountered nothing but problems with that setup. I switched them around and it's been happy burning since. I jumped each drive, I did'nt use cable select. I hope this helps......
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]==============================
    Mobo-Gigabyte K7Triton 7NNXP
    Athlon Barton 2500+@3200+(SOLID!)
    512mb.ddr(pc-3200)
    G4 128mb
    W.D.80gig 7200rpm
    I/O magic 4X dvd-rw
    40X12X40 cdrw
    WinXP-SP1
    DVD-Shrink 3.1.4
    Nero6.3.0.2[/small]