1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help with video re-encoding.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ByNameGuy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ByNameGuy

ByNameGuy Member

Hello, i demuxed video container and now have 2 files .AC3 and .MPG now my question is what can i do with this files, which program can reencode/edit them?

I mainly curious how to reencode them or is there any more actions i can preferm with this files?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Well, the question would be, what are you trying to do with your original file? You demuxed it for what purpose?

Also, when you demuxed, you might end up with an .ac3 audio file but the video file wouldn't be an .mpg file. Mpg files contain both audio and video.

3. ByNameGuy

ByNameGuy Member

Well actually i get .ac3 and .h264 files, i want reencode .h264 to divx/xvid and then mux it to .avi file with .ac3 sound.

But for now i am curious how really whole thing works since i am pretty new to this stuff, if e.g. i want re-encode video/audio i better demux container or use some prog that can open container like virtualdub also if i want to edit video should should i demux or open container in editing software, and i am speaking of profeesional software not some feeware.

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I haven't worked with .h264 files so I can't help you there. I'm sure someone else can tell you the software to use to re-encode it.

In general, you don't always need to demux before you re-encode video. Sometimes I'll capture a TV show as mpeg2 then load it into Virtualdubmod and re-encode it with XviD. But it's not necessary to demux it first. Other times you do need to demux, but it's a case by case thing.

As for editing, it depends what kind of editing you mean. For simple cuts you can use an mpeg editor like VideoRedo. If you're wanting to add effects and get more involved then that's different and you'd need full editing software like Adobe Premiere or Ulead.