1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs help!!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Scarface, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Scarface

Scarface Member

Im knew to ps2 backups and i need help on what to get. I have a new ps2 and i was wondering if someone can suggest me a good modchip, dvd rewriter(dvd-r or dvd+r?), and the software needed to make ps2 backups. thanx.

2. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I would suggest the magic 3.1 with clip, due to the ease of installation and high quality/reliability. As a dvd burner I would recomend the pioneer dvr-105, this drive is reliable, and has the advantage that the bugs have been worked out of previous versions of the drive. You do not need any special programs per se, just a good dvd burning program, if y ou do not have a another dvd drive to do a drive to drive copy, you will need such a program that can burn iso. Just for the price and for the fact that I like the program, you can download DVDDecrypter for free from this site, it can copy PS2 games and burn them. With this program you have the advantage too of that you can backup any dvd movie with the utmost of ease.

3. Scarface

Scarface Member

Im sorry for being skeptical, but what are the chances of success in creating dvd backups and ps2 backups. I am asking this because i have heard from a lot of people that it is a very complicated process and even when it works, there are problems in the games. Im running on windows xp and i got a new ps2 and i would be very glad if someone tells me that wat i've heard is not so.

4. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I have a HP200i DVD+ writer and a PS2 v5 with Messiah.
    About the chances (I really don't know what person said it to you, but OK) of succes are between 95 and 100%.
    I sofar made 60+ copies of CD and DVD based games and had mayby 5 errors untill now. (mostly my own fault !)

So copy on the fly with Nero 5.5.9.17 takes me about 15-20 minutes and I have a perfect DVD copy !

So IT IS NOT TRUE

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

It all depends on your hardware, burning programs, settings (if needed), and media. I have over 400 titles on CD and DVD for different platforms, not to mention lots of PC programs. I have to agree with WizKid who ever told you it is complicated or the chances are "whatever"... doesn't know what they are talking about. Here is a link to my tutorial on this site http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105 it give you some different ways to backup PS1 and PS2 with an explanation on the requirements for Xbox (I have finished a walkthrough for Xbox backups, but it has pictures, so I have to work out image hosting to make it work here)

6. Scarface

Scarface Member

IC,thanx. But i have more questions.
    msb5150, what do you mean by magic 3.1 with clip? I cant find one with clip. And could someone tell me what types of dvd burners to avoid so i dont waste any money?

7. Scarface

Scarface Member

8. jr_

jr_ Guest

Sony DRU-500A

9. Scarface

Scarface Member

i just looked up that one and it looks great, but i think my dad's still sticking to one of the 2 comps above. So does anyone noe if those burners on those comps are ok?

10. Scarface

Scarface Member

Um, what's this i heard about having to solder your chip? I have no experience with soldering so is it easy? Is there a way i can get a messiah 2 or magic 3.1 installed into my ps2 by pros? And i saw some chips that said "no soldering required" on www.modchip.com. Are these just as good and reliable? plz help. thanx.

11. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess you mean the no solder modchip !
    If you get a new mod I suggest you get a real one like messiah or Magic.
    They don't need any swap and the no solder does .. you will get crazy on the swapping all the time. Direct boot is much much better.
    Just find some to solder it for you.

Get f.e. the Magic 3.1 with clip so you reduce the number of wires to solder.

What version PS2 you have ? number SCPH ???
    I guess it's a v7 because it new.. give me the SCPH 3.... number

12. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

i just made a ps2 backup using neo and a packard bell 4.7 gb disk but it didnt work in my ps2 i dont no what chip ive got and i booted it with dvd region x any suggestions