1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie needs media advice

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Vasquez, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

Hi All,

I'm new to all this DVD stuff so would really appreciate some guidance on what type of media I need for my particular situation.

I'm currently transfering hours and hours of VHS & Video8 onto DVD, and it's all going very well.

Thing is, I would like to backup my raw video (DV AVI) onto DVD just in-case I need it at a later date.

Basically, I'm looking for the most reliable discs for storage. I have a Plextor 708A, so I'm aware I can use DVD-R/RW & DVD+R/RW, but i've seen people talk about grades, dye's and gold discs etc.

It's all to much to take in at the moment and I'm desperate to archive off my video files.

Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Regards
    Vasquez[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2004
  2. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

Opps... sorry about the thread title, think I was a little trigger happy :)

Should read "Newbie needs Media Advice"
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Regards
    Vasquez[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2004
  3. piano632

piano632 Regular member

I assume you are aware that putting DV on DVD will only make it playable on a computer, and you will only fit about 20 min. of DV on a DVD.

The quality of DVD media is always changing. One month TDK may use a good company to manufacture their DVD's and the next month they may farm it out to the cheapest place they can find. You always have to keep up-to-date on who's making whose DVD's currently. Don't worry about dye types - be more concerned about where the discs are made. Most any discs that say they are "made in Japan" on the packaging are a safe bet. Production quality in Japan is top-notch. Many (but not all) of the "made in Taiwan" discs are not so good.

Go here to view a complete list of DVD media and comments about each:
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

4. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

Hi there,

Thanks for the info.

I've already converted the DV to MPEG, but just want to backup the original DV files in-case I need to re-encode at a later date.

I have no intention of playing this DV from the DVD, so am only concerned about long term reliability.

I spoke to a lady at http://www.dvd-and-media.com today and she suggested Maxell DVD-R for backing up and CloneDisc (Ritek G04) DVD-R for playback.

Have ordered some so fingers crossed :)

5. minti

minti Guest

you have no garanti unfortunatly .i have been transfering my 800 or so vhs colection to dvd for the past 6 months and unless you sit and re check what you have recorded you are not going to know if the transter was ok or not . the machin will tell you if there is a major fault on the disc or not but 6 months from now you play a disc and you may come across a slight picture or sound distortion . in my opinion there is no safe dvd-r or dvd+r yet

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The best two media manufacturers for top quality and consistency are Taiyo Yuden and Ritek. Both have a great reputation for lot to lot quality plus they are the actual manufacturer unlike many companies who buy from various other manufacturers and put their name on it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Browning Hi-Power[/small]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004