1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie needs PC download help

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by wlverine1, Feb 12, 2008.

1. wlverine1

wlverine1 Member

Hey all, 1st-thanks for having a good page to come to for good help. 2nd-I need some help finding some drivers for my computer as I gotta get rid of this Vista Junk thats on it now. I have an E-Machine W3611 and I need the drivers for the whole system in order to change it over to opperate with Win. XP. If anyone out here has any INFO. that they can give me to get me going it would be appreciated.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Ammm...not sure exactly what you want...Uninstall Vista, install XP and it will install the drivers you need.

3. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

4. wlverine1

wlverine1 Member

I have done that process before, reformat and insyall XP. after like 3 weeks the XP froze up and just wouldnt run anymore. I got a brand new XP disc too. Something in the motherboard needs to be change or a driver needs to updated . E Machines wont give any help as they say theyre not alloud to let you downgrade to XP from Vista. Ill try again and see what happens. Thanks for the link.

5. tmzaracki

tmzaracki Member

try Microsoft updates custom , some times hardware drivers will show up

6. tetsuya25

tetsuya25 Member

7. tetsuya25

tetsuya25 Member

also, dont install xp until you have all the drivers saftly tucked away on a cd or somthn cuz the USB, LAN, and Audio WILL NOT WORK AT ALL until you have the drivers installed.

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

what are you saying? WTF? when you install xp it will install the general drivers for all your hardware, now this may mean that some features on the hardware will be unavailable to you because they require manufactures drivers to enable some features (found on their sites along with the software suites )but the LAN, USB and audio will work my dear sir! those devices dont even usually require manufactures drivers just the windows drivers (installed for you)

use partition logic to wipe vista (YUK) off your HDD at boot
    (remember to set your bios to boot of CD-ROM device)
    http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
    Partition Logic

then simply pop in the windows install disc and BAM, you got your self one of the best (doesn't beat debian w00t) OS's around

UPDATE: i reread this thread and you problem is more then likely a bad format, use partition logic (tool listed above)

-tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  9. varnull

varnull Guest

asus k8n series boards have NO xp ethernet driver. You need the specific one from asus.

XP doesn't support everything y'know.. In fact it's hardware support is as bad as vista. cmi-8738/8788 soundcards come up as "unknown device" how would you deal with that in XP if it was your ethernet card showing the yellow ? ...
    A couple od examples from the archives of "XP isn't the best thing since sliced bread" dept.

Lots of new hardware arrived since M$ updated the included drivers for XP.. better off with a linux current live cd if you are at all worried that things won't work.. Then at least you have a chance of fnding out what the devices are and getting drivers for them...

As for Dell and the attitude "we aren't allowed to let you downgrade to XP"..

Do they own your PC?? No.. so tell them to go get screwed.. Lockin bastards.. It's your pc and you can do what the hell you want with it.. That attitude just shows how much of an illegal anticompetitive kick back dell get for selling vista only computers.

They sell computers with NON MICRSOFT operating systems on em you know... yeah.. Dell do.. A$$hats

Soon as you get vista off you want a refund on your vista licence.. off dell!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  10. tripplite

tripplite Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  11. btraven

btraven Member

I just upgraded this same system,(W3611)to XP,(home ed), for a friend...

The motherboard in this system is:

IntelĀ® Desktop Board D945GCL

the drivers at this link,(below) all worked and allowed me to finish the install of XP,the best way to procede is:

1) Down load using a different computer:
    a) any firewall like zone Alarm Free version

b) any free anti-virus program like AVG

c) down load all the drivers from INTEL link below and
    using zip/ decompress driver LIB(s) to a unique
    folder name to aid in easy access later.

d) copy all folders above and fire/wall/anti-virus
    to flash drive or burn a CD.

2) install the orgignal XP version with either SP1 or SP2 to the
    W3611 PC - make sure to reformat during this stage when prompted.

3) install the drivers,(MB driver,LAN driver,Audio driver,etc), from
    the INTEL site from Flash Stick or CD.

4) Now install Anti-virus and firewall.

5) Then go to MS site to download latest bunch of upgrades.

Even though the XP disk my friend bought was SP2 it still needed
    the 87 downloads to bring it up to date...

The best way sometimes to trace a motherboard is use the memory outlet stores on the web as some of them will have a drop down tab
    which has the makers serial number of model number...work backwards; that is to sovle the problem. Although in this, I think, case I used the INTEL Desktop Motherboard Tool web page - which sadly they turned off or moved and has been returning a dead link of late...

The link for the motherboard in the E-M/W3611:

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D945GCL/index.htm

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I think you just need to make sure you have saved on a disc or flash drive the drivers needed to connect the new WindowsXP PC to internet. Once you've done that, you can download the rest of the drivers/software directly.

13. Brookscbg

Brookscbg Guest

Just format ur PC and install XP.Vista is very tough to handle.

14. tetsuya25

tetsuya25 Member

what are you saying? WTF? when you install xp it will install the general drivers for all your hardware, now this may mean that some features on the hardware will be unavailable to you because they require manufactures drivers to enable some features (found on their sites along with the software suites )but the LAN, USB and audio will work my dear sir! those devices dont even usually require manufactures drivers just the windows drivers (installed for you)

use partition logic to wipe vista (YUK) off your HDD at boot
    (remember to set your bios to boot of CD-ROM device)
    http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
    Partition Logic

then simply pop in the windows install disc and BAM, you got your self one of the best (doesn't beat debian w00t) OS's around

UPDATE: i reread this thread and you problem is more then likely a bad format, use partition logic (tool listed above)

-tripplite[/quote]

it doesnt install the drivers for this particular mobo. ethernet is onboard and it still doesnt work :s no audio at all just the system speaker works, also the usb ports dont exist lol.