1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Q: 'No Compression' setting on DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by daumier, Jan 6, 2005.

1. daumier

daumier Member

Hi there,

I've been trying out DVD Shrink and I simply love it! I do have one question w/ regards to getting the best quality out of the program. I typically prefer to drop all of the extras, menus, etc. in favor of getting the movie with as little compression as possible.

Some of the movies that I have backed up have fit neatly onto a single layer disc by dropping all of the extras (and extra language tracks) without doing any compression.

However - after reading the guide on DVD Rebuilder on this site, I was left with the impression that DVD Shrink's encoding process yields a less-than-perfect picture quality when compared to DVD Rebuilder (along with the CCE encoding software).

My questions is: if DVD Shrink uses 'no compression' - does that mean the quality of the movie will be exactly the same to that of the original (i.e. no re-encoding taking place)?

If DVD Shrink still performs re-encoding even if 'no compression' is selected -- would the result be better if I use the DVD Rebuilder solution? I only ask because the DVD Rebuilder method seems a bit more complex.

Thanks for the help!

DM

2. marilyn6

marilyn6 Member

well when using dvd shrink, when u click the back up button there is a tab i think called settings or along the lines of that with near the top that says perform deep analysis, click that and do your back up and that should do a better quality job even better than dvd x copy. there is a forum posting on page 4 or 5 i think about dvd x copy vs. shrink and just about everyone chose dvd shrink. good luck and let me know how it goes.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Daumier,
    To be more specific to your questions. If you are not compressing at all then you will tell no quality difference in any program you use.

If compressing a little bit %80 - %99 you will more than likely not be able to tell any difference between using Shrink or Rebuilder.

Now when you start getting down to the %75 and below range this is where Rebuilder really shines most people who use this are copying the intire DVD with menu's and all, but if your doing as you say and just backing up the main movie you would probablly never need to use rebuilder.

Hope this helps you with your questions

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

With any program that compresses the DVD files to fir on a DVD-5 Disc the more you compress the more the quility of the disc is lost, I have never used DVD Rebuilder, but have used DVDShrink for a few years now, I used to Do full backup of the disc menus and all. Anymore they are putting so much extras and menus on it is brining down the quility of the movie to the point where it is compressed to 60% or 70% thats even after you take out subpictures and other audio languages. So within the last 6 months I have just been re-athoring the movies uasly there is no compression for just the Movie without extras and menus. The Qulity has been great for me. Another way of doing it is make a copy with DVD Shrink and a copy with DVD Rebuilder and watch them and see what 1 you think makes the best quility.

5. d-rock

d-rock Guest

I always re-author, selecting to copy the "main movie" only. I don't want the extras. If the movie does not fit onto one DVD without shrinking, then I split the movie to fit on two discs. DVDShrink makes this very easy to do. I don't mind swapping DVD's for the sake of not losing any quality.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Somtimes you can get lucky with mixed comression. If the movie itself isn't to big or the menus and extras aren't to elaborate, you can set the main movie to no compression and leave everything else at automatic. If the bar at the top is completely green with no red your good to go. If you see a little red, set the main move to custom compression and adjust it to the point where you only see green. If these settings compromise the quality of the movie too much, just re-author and back up the main movie by itself.

7. freedom2

freedom2 Regular member

if you use DVDShrink, then re-author and save the
    "Movie Only" as i do (don't care about menu's extras, ect) no compression is usally needed and you should get a very good copy aswell.