1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Q's RE: PSP w/ TA-082 (IC1003 mobo)

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by ZCG, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ZCG

ZCG Member

In a nutshell I'd like to know what the big deal is about owning a PSP with a TA-082 mother board. That's what I have & I want to downgrade it, yet still enjoy the benefits available through the most current firmware. I don't know if this is possible, but that's why I'm posting this thread ^.^

I've spent 3 days going from store to store & opened 12 PSP systems to only find that every single gosh darned one of 'em appear to have the TA-082 mother board. When I open their UMD doors I can read "IC1003" on the green pcb board. I thought I lucked into a different mobo since the box code had the letter "K" instead of "P,Q, or R", but no such luck. It was just another IC1003 motherboard.

I've never owned a PSP before & am bound to ask questions that have been dragged through the dirt by millions before me. I apologize in advance to testing your patience.

Here is where I'm at:

> I'm brand spanking new to the PSP system

> Own a TA-082 mobo PSP with 2.71 firmware (out of the box)
    Also own TA-082 w/ 3.11 firmware (out of the box)

> Have 2 copies of Lumines (one normal, the other is Greatest Hits)

> I want to downgrade to whatever firmware that offers me the best
    I can get from my new toy.

So, since I'm the (proud?) owner of a TA-082 mobo PSP...what is it that I can't do that every other PSP mobo is capable of doing? How do I get the most out of my apparently limited console?

Any & all help is so very, very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time & patience :)

EDIT: OK, so I've been busy reading up on these forums & came accross a thread talking about downgrading by using Lumines. This quote has me concerned,

"VERY IMPORTANT:
    If you have a TA082+ motherboard and you downgrade to 1.50,
    currently you will be unable to upgrade to 3.30+ Sony firmware.
    This is due to Sony blocking updates when the PSP has been
    modified to run 1.50. There will be an application released
    later which will allow users to revert the changes. If you
    are using a TA082 motherboard then I would suggest just using
    1.50 or OE until an application is released."

What is the highest level or most up to date "OE" I could use?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

theres nothing really wrong with TA-082 anymore. it just needed seperate downgraders. but, nowadays, all downgraders are universal. just use the 3.50 downgrader since u have lumines. GOOGLE

3. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

go to 1.50

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  4. ZCG

ZCG Member

Well, I have been "googling", reading...& reading...& reading...you get the picture. Which is why I posted my questions here. I could really use some help sifting through the mountains of info.

"Go to 1.5" just doesn't help me much. From what little I've comprehended so far it seems to me that I could downgrade to just 1.5 (seems way too Spartan for me)or choose some sort of downgrader that gives me the option to run 1.5 OR a higher FW version (yay! I want all the bells & whistles). I'm most interested in a dual firmware downgrade. Since I can't upgrade beyond 3.XX from 1.5 due to my mobo...what would the best "OE" program be for me? I only have a new 4GB Sandisk mem. stick. I've read conflicting info whether I can use such a large MS & am therefore confused about that.While I appreciate the replies I'd could use some specific answers to my direct questions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  5. Meatwad3

Meatwad3 Member

dont worry about upgrading from 1.50 to a normal firmware, go to a custom firmware, this means you get the positive things from 1.50 (homebrew etc), mixed with the features of new firmware. since you have lumines, upgrade to 3.50, then get a downgrader that works with lumines, and downgrade to 1.50, once ur on 1.50 upgrade to 3.40 OE-A, its a custom firmware and it is very safe. it will work fine with both ur psps and all mobos,

when you said about...

"If you have a TA082+ motherboard and you downgrade to 1.50,
    currently you will be unable to upgrade to 3.30+ Sony firmware.
    This is due to Sony blocking updates when the PSP has been
    modified to run 1.50. There will be an application released
    later which will allow users to revert the changes. If you
    are using a TA082 motherboard then I would suggest just using
    1.50 or OE until an application is released."

It wont matter on 3.40 oe-a , just do that and ull be sweet =)

6. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

Post back if you still need help with this thread, ill tell you step by step what you need to do, we all been in that same situation b4 so time for me to return the favor to the community

7. ZCG

ZCG Member

Wow! Thanks so much everyone (^.^) Seeing as I'm as new as they come to using a PSP I need as much help & pointers as anyone is willing to share.

Here is an example of my newbiness. I buy a PSP, 4GB mem. stick, & a game. Immediately I pop in both the game & mem. stick & of course start playing. Turns out I should have formatted the memory card first?! I only have one memory card & already have game-save info I don't want to lose. What do I do now? I did buy a brand new SanDisk RapidGX 1GB with MicroMate USB card reader that claims to have PSP data management software already on the memory card. At least I'll be able to transfer my game-save at some point.

I've read some FAQs that mention (a lot) about "saving to the root directory" & I've no idea what that's supposed to mean. I should figure out how to do the traditional/routine stuff with my PSP before I get all fancy & downgrade it. At this point I'd probably brick the poor li'l thing without even understanding what I did wrong!

8. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

Alrighty then, well the "Root Directory" is the top most folder on your Memory stick in your PSP (when its accessed, you should see VIDEO folder, PSP folder, MUSIC folder, etc.... and what i would do if you dont want to lose any saved data on your mem stick then i would make a new folder on your computer, named some thing like 'PSP Backup' and copy EVERYTHING from your stick to that folder (that way when you format your mem stick, you have a complete backup now). I hope that sums the mem stick question, but i have 3 Mem sticks though, my 1 GB is a backup (same files on my computer just in case), and 2 other 2GB is for my games, homebrew and emulators. Always good to have more that 1 stick. But as of 'bricking' it cuz of NOT reformatting, it SHOULDNT be a problem, 'bricking usually only occurs when you are doing an upgrade, downgrade, or doing any writing/rewriting to the flash (basically you flash is like your bios of the psp). Just remember once you are in a custom firmware to at least reformat ur stick (after backing it up) by using the PSP Reformat option and not by a Windows Reformat so it puts your correct folders in there. Any more questions just post back again man and happy Homebrewing :)

Also if you need any links to the files needed for the downgrade to 1.5 and then the custom firmware (3.40oea is what i prefer so far, but leaning torward 3.52 M33) let us know, meatwad pretty much summed up whats needed to get you on custom firmware.

9. PacYAO

PacYAO Member

Good Morning everyone i was having confusions with downgrading my "3.03 TA-082 to 1.50" when the PSP restarts after steps 1-16 r done (from the NOW U CAN DOWNGRADE 3.03!!!) thread the last part tells me"({16 - If it comes up saying that the settings are corrupt, press x
    to continue, this will mean you will need to re-enter the
    settings for network connections into your PSP, otherwise go to
    step 18})"
    so do u remember after the downgrade, that blue screen pops up and it has all types of languages telling u to press O, i did press O but it said:settings are corrupt, but i think i pressed O before i could react fast enuff, but when i check the Sys. Sett. it shows 1.50 and i cant run the PSP Network Config Backup that it says to run if settings corrupted. does this mean it is successfully downgraded? and if it is 1.50 do i do the same steps i did with my TA082 ? im kina slumped at this part, can any 1 help me please?!

10. foxrider

foxrider Guest

ok u r really confusing go to system settings then system information and if it says 1.50 then u successfully downgraded

11. PacYAO

PacYAO Member

okay cool, ive successfully upgarde to 3.40 OE-A!!! now what can i do to add PS1 games or PSP emulators?

12. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

All the emulators for the PSP should be put in the GAME folder, and so should the PSX Games also. Unless you are using 3.40 Kernel, then put your emus and PSX games in the GAME340 folder instead

13. PacYAO

PacYAO Member

okay i see, i need to know 2 things:
    1)What is a Kernel

and

2)Can u teach me how to install: Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 KILLER INSTINCT FTW
    IRShell 3.6, please!?

14. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

When using a PSP that has firmware 1.0, 1.5 or any of the custom firmware, you have full access to the Kernel mode. Its the mode where we are all able to play homebrew (emulators and custom made programs not made by sony). When sony found out about the 'open' kernel mode in 1.0 & 1.5, they updated to 1.51 (and above)to disable access kernel mode, which in turn, doesnt let us use homebrew at all. In a nutshell, kernel in PSP terms is the access to the backdoor bypassing the security features in it so you can change your system files (most the time flash0) to gain full potential of the PSP.

Since you have custom firmware (3.40oe-a), first i want you to check to see which 'Kernel mode' you are using. These are simple easy steps.

1) You need to get into your recovery mode.
    2) To get into it, coldboot your PSP (not Stand-by mode), do so by holding the power stitch up until the PSP turns its self off
    3) Now before you turn it back on, hold the R trigger button, now turn it on
    4) Now you should be in Recovery mode (if not try it again)
    5) Once in there, go to the second option which should be configuration
    6) Now Scroll down til you see Kernel mode access
    7) There it tells you that you are using 3.40 kernel or 1.50 kernel
    8) if its set on 3.40 kernel, you put your emulators and homebrew stuff in the 'GAME340' folder
    9) If its set for 1.50 (This mode is recommended, i only use this mode) then you would put your files in the 'GAME' or 'GAME150' folder
    10) Thats all you will need to play with in this part of the recovery menu until you ask me questions about what the other things do in the recovery mode :p

If you dont have a 'GAME340' or GAME150' on your memory stick, open your mem stick and see if you have those folders in the PSP folder. If you dont, then you could reformat it using the PSP (not computer format) and it will automatically make ALL the folders you need for the PSP, which its always recommended to format your Mem stick once its on a cfw (custom firmware). Just make sure to backup any files you need on mem stick b4 u do it.

Now to the fun stuff, Super Nintendo on the PSP!!! :) MY personal favorite place to get all these emulators (along with all the PSP news and files) is QJ.net. once you are there, in the top right hand corner is is the download section (DL.QJ) of it, it has NUMEROUS emulators, applications, and homebrewed games. Heres a direct link to the SNes Emulator.

Once downloaded, theres a readme file in there, read it!! :) Theres gonna be 2 folders, one that says 1.0 & other is 1.5, open up the 1.5 and then copy both of those folders and put it into the 'GAME' folder (GAME340 if using the 340 kernel mode). Now that you have those 2 folders set, you will need to get your own roms for it, im not sure if i can get in trouble for telling you where but i get mine from Romnation (ill edit this out if inappropriate). Once you have your roms, put those in the ROMS folder, thats loacted in the Snes9xTYL folder.

If you have any more problems/explinations/questions just post back and ill help u out. Happy Gaming!!

15. PacYAO

PacYAO Member

Hey Arcanaut, i have followed the How to Install Super Nintendo (SNES) Emulator thread and put I my ROMs in the Game340 because thats the Kernel i found out...and it seems to have a <THE GAME COULD NOT BE STARTED. (8002014C)> error come up, have u came acroos this problem before, what is it? my ROM is multiple files ending with a .smc is that a ROM or should a ROM be a folder? can u help me out please!? I would really Appreciate it.

16. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

Yes, it will take .smc and .zip files, what kind of error are you getting?? Also if you keep getting an error, go into recovery and switch the kernel mode from 3.40 to 1.50 (just press X to change it). And then move your snes folders from GAME340 to GAME. See if that works differently for ya

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  17. PacYAO

PacYAO Member

the error said THE GAME COULD NOT BE STARTED.(8002014C)

18. Arcanaut

Arcanaut Member

Look at my post b4 this one, i m sure i edited it the same time you posted, pm back to see if that made a difference

19. ZCG

ZCG Member

Arcanaut I can't thank you enough for being so helpfully specific & detailed with your information! Thanks to you and the others' help I'm becoming more familiar & comfortable with my new PSP.

I haven't yet downgraded, but at this point I'm only waiting because of the newest custom firmware options that have become available. I'm not sure which one to choose. I forget the complete name of them but they're ending in 3.51 & I think 3.52 I haven't heard much about 'em & wonder if they have any bugs or problems. Anyone have any thoughts on these two new custom firmwares?

20. mrmcman

mrmcman Guest

I think you mean 3.52 M33. This firmware is very stable, but there is an update to the firmware which has more features, 3.52 M33-2. That is what firmware I am currently running. The only real thing to watch out for is when customizing the XMB (if you want to do this, Google search), don't copy over the custom battery icon. It will work, but lead to a series of freezes when trying to do key things, needing a coldboot. But, other than that, it is the same as 3.40 OE, with more features, and a better NO-UMD mode.