1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Question about media length.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by phydeaux, Feb 24, 2004.

1. phydeaux

phydeaux Guest

I just recently started backing up all of my and my daughter's DVDs. I've been using AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD. I am using Philips 120 min DVD blanks for my backups and they seem to be working great. I noticed that in small print under where it says "120 min" it also says "240 min extended play." Will CloneDVD automatically switch to extended mode when backing up a DVD that is longer than 120 minutes in length? I did a backup of Open Range last night which runs about 136 minutes in length and it got the whole movie on there. But I'm wondering what the result will be when I attempted to backup a movie like Gladiator which runs in the neighborhood of 200 minutes in length. Has anyone here had any experience in this area? Thanks in advance for your help.

Brandon

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The "minute" ratings are misleading. When backing up movies you need to go by filesize - how many MB or GB for example.

The larger the original movie is the more compression it will take to fit on a DVD-R and the more compressing that has to be done the more the picture quality will degrade. That's why many people will choose to do a "movie only" copy which is just the main movie with all the extra fearures and fluff left off in order to get the best picture quality when going long films like Gladiator.

I'm taking a guess that "extended play" is referring to a lower-quality recording mode for set-top recorders when recording television.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004